Git Lit Up And Read Theology

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by littlepinkbeast, Jan 27, 2016.

1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

• Like x 2
  2. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I was supposed to read at least part of Summa Theologica for a class and I totally just vaguely skimmed it. Now we'll see how much I missed.

Regarding math and music, I think he is thinking of the Classical Quadrivium conception of music as a physical manifestation of arithmetic and that the study of music, not the playing or composition but the study, requires understanding of mathematics. Aquinas had absorbed quite a bit of the Neo-Platonist tradition, which includes music-as-arithmetic and astronomy-as-geometry.
    But then, given the current state of mathematical music theory, I'm not sure if contemporary music theorists haven't gone a bit too far trying to include mathematics into their theories. The vast majority is either nonmusical or nonmathematical or both.

• Like x 1
  3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

So. this guy. One of the first debaters I coached back when I was in college.

It amuses me to no end Bob ended up being a scholar of Aquinas, of all things.

4. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Ooh, that's a good point Exo, I had completely forgotten the quadrivium thing.

5. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

It helps that Aquinas was from before we moved to this well-temperament nonsense, so that the ratios of string-lengths and tensions were actually rational numbers and hence susceptible to arithmetic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice