glass party!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by blue, Nov 4, 2015.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Sup, fellow art-glass people, I figured maybe we should have a thread separate from the general craft nerd herd?

I'm Blue (*droning response: hi, blue*) and I make fused glass stuff in a rad tiny microwave kiln. I intend to take pictures of stuff at some point, but so far I've had bad luck photographing glass.

Also today I tried to heat some glass and wire way more than I should have, in an attempt to get the glass to be less viscous and spread out to the wire boundary, which in retrospect was a BAD PLAN:

image.jpg
    The white bit in the middle is glass. The yellow-white parts are kiln paper that somehow managed to absorb a bunch of melted copper wire. It kind of fucked up the bottom of my kiln!

• Like x 1
  2. blue

... Also, I've decided to get one of those ribbed paper painter's masks, because I am tired of the itchy-and-worried-about-my-respiratory-health feeling the kiln paper gives me. : |

3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

GLASS GLASS GLASS GLASS

hey, @Starcrossedsky, get your glass over here.

I found out that my mom has moved from "talking about setting up a glass studio in her old study" to "actually setting up a glass studio in her old study," so I'm looking forward to being able to play with that when I get home for some break or other.

• Like x 2
  4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

moves into @Wiwaxia's mom's old study

• Like x 2
  5. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

WHOAH COOL. Good luck taking photos, I wanna see what you make!

• Like x 1
  6. blue

This dichro is so niceeeee

image.jpg

• Like x 7
  7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

holy hell that's beautiful

8. blue

I want to sell them! I just haven't had luck with the glue I was using to put backings on- I have some E600000 now and I'm going to see if that works better.

9. blue

[​IMG]

THE SHINIES

• Like x 12
  10. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i made that sorta-ugly green/yellow/black pendent, bask in my obv skill

(p.s. can you fix the earrings you gave me now that you have good glue :"D also i am planning a NYC jewelry expedition sometime soon so ill be getting jewelry solder (??? spelling) and more sheet metal so i can make you settings if you need. . .!)

11. blue

bro, your yellow/green/black pendant is fuckin lovely

(yes!! and rad, are u gonna get material for making bezels?)

12. rats

(YES bezels!!! so hype.)

13. blue

(there's a lot of rad bezel wire on etsy! also, I have some sheet brass and metal stuff, and my dad probably has more soldering supplies? we should Convene)

• Like x 1
  14. rats

(INDEED check snapchat or Skype tomorrow morning, I'll text you from calc ;D)

15. blue

I'm so psyched I'm getting mica powder and I have a glue pad and stamps and I can stamp glittery designs onto glass ! !

16. Starcrossedsky

17. blue

ITS ALL OVER MY HANDS

18. Starcrossedsky

Well, of course. What did you expect from art herpes?

EDIT: AUGH there's a kiln for sale in silverdale for $175 that looks like it would work for glass BUT THE CRAIGSLIST PERSON DIDN'T OFFER ANY INFO????

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    • Like x 2
  19. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Ooooooh I have a setup for making glass beads (i get to play with a BLOWTORCH) and I should really go back to using it.

20. Starcrossedsky

Franz art glass has the Creation is Messy reds 50% this month, including Bordello, AKA the red I want to fuck

:'] money is difficult and I have none of it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice