Glitches in games

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Saro, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Because they exist, can be exploited, are funny, are surreal, and make the best gifs.

fifa-i-think-your-leg-is-broken.gif

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

Ooh, I like this thread already. I'll dig up some favorites soon.

• Like x 1
  3. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

i'm just going to go ahead and drop one of my favourite youtube channels here: TheZZAZZGlitch, which covers pokemon glitches (and romhacking)

• Like x 3
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I have watched some videos from that channel! But I need to watch more for sure. I love Pokemon glitches because Pkmn was one of the first games I played and I remember hearing other elementary kids talking about stuff you could do like cloning Pokemon via the PC, etc., and I thought it was completely bogus... Until years later when I found out that there is just so much glitchy stuff you can do in those games. It was like I got a very small second chance at a very specific part of my childhood.

5. Paradigm Shift

• Winner x 1
  6. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Winner x 6
  7. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  8. Paradigm Shift

Aaaah I forgot all about Let's Break Pokemon Blue! Misty, you're a saint for reminding me of that; now I have something fun to read tonight!

• Like x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

How about the Psycho Cyan glitch from Final Fantasy 6?

1. Cyan's second Bushido skill, called either Sky or Retort depending on version, puts him in a status where he counterattacks any physical attack aimed at him.
    2. If he dies and gets revived, the game gets confused about the "aimed at him" bit and the counterattack gets triggered by any physical attack, including your party attacking monsters.
    3. The Imp status prevents skill use. Thus, if you turn him into an imp while he's in Sky/Retort status, it replaces the Sky/Retort attack with a normal physical attack. This means the counterattack status never goes away.
    4. Thus, if you have Cyan use Sky/Retort, turn him into an imp, kill him, revive him, and then someone attacks, imp!Cyan will counterattack the monsters. And then he'll counter his own counter. And then he'll counter that counter. And this will go on indefinitely until he single-handedly beats every enemy on the screen to death.

• Winner x 7
  10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

-my speedrunner ass parks into this thread-

Anyway here's a glitch exhibition one of the runners I follow did a while back for OoT. It's got a lot of shit that normally doesn't get seen because it has no viability in runs:

• Like x 1
  11. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

in ori and the blind forest definitive edition, by jumping at the same time as charge dashing at an enemy above or below you, the charge dash is cancelled but you keep the momentum and it doesn't decay, and you can use directional inputs to adjust trajectory like a normal jump rather than going in a straight line at the enemy

so ori just goes rocketing into the sky or falls like a meteorite

fittingly enough it's called rocket jump/meteor kick

also, information on what direction a projectile is going to go during a bash is updated one frame earlier than information on where ori is going to go, so if you move the bash targeting thing really far in one frame (TAS only, really) you can have ori and the projectile move in disconnected ways (like not opposite directions from each other)
    relatedly, there's a frame after releasing a bash where one of the directional values is cleared (where ori is going to go) and the other (which direction the projectile is going to go) is not, and if you start a bash on this frame, not only the targeting thingy still there from the previous bash, but the current bash will only affect ori's direction
    it's called double bashing and with rebinds is real time viable and leads to some shenangians

the randomizer DLL has a double bash hotkey that will, if pressed during a bash, start another one the frame after you release a bash. with that i have done the truely awful route of double bashing despawning enemies and enemy shots throughout all of one of horu's rooms because i was lost and confused and it seemed like a good idea to do a long chain of double bashing annoying mortar worm shots and then even more annoying elemental shots that despawn after they get too far from the elemental so you have to keep catching new ones and also there is instant kill lava and an annoying laser that tries to kill you with knockback.

i later learnt that that double bash chain belonged in master logic which is two entire difficulty levels above what i play and also is supposed to be heinous. it took me at least twenty minutes to make it to the end of the room once.

anyway.
    ori can also clip through many things. this ranges from 'the wall hitbox here is so thin you can literally just bash right through it' (a clip called butterclip), to "if you save here while dashing, then run away really far so the wall unloads and then die, you reload at dash speeds and are through the wall before its hitbox loads" to 'if you line it up right you can just...charge dash through this laser. it's fine. it's fine. lasers are a suggestion'

there is also saving while a door is not loaded, going to the door, putting keystones in it (but not enough to open it), and then dying, which duplicates keystones
    opening the help text on the ability menu, and then pressing the button to close the help text and/or ability menu on the same frame as the button to load the help text, which lets ori run around with the ability menu up and therefore save anywhere and in any state so long as they can spend ability points (spending ability points saves the game), allowing for stuff like saving in midair or while swimming or while dashing or while dead (which if done right results in ori running around with 0 HP). if you SA while the blackroot boulder is rolling and then reload the boulder no longer deals any damage but it can push ori into the floor and from there you can fall to grotto and run around in grotto when you're not supposed to.

you can also save while swimming with the rekindle ability by saving on land right next to the water, and rekindling while swimming and touching an underwater ledge, even if it's only one pixel big. reloading at this point puts ori at the save point while swimming, resulting in ori airswimming. it also destroys the music. like it's the beginning of a splash noise on infinite loop and it's the absolute worst, it sounds kinda like a distorted OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that goes on literally forever

speaking of one pixel big ledges they are Everywhere
    in addition to wall hitboxes usually matching the art really closely, everywhere that two wall hitboxes meet, there is a single-pixel ledge called a microledge
    master logic randomizer makes use of so many microledges
    so many

there are also rekindle shenangians like if you rekindle a save while pulling this specific lever it gets stuck in the being pulled state and the door it opens stays open so you can just walk to it, you can take your time, no need to dash to it
    if you save right next to a cutscene trigger, run into the trigger, and then rekindle and reload you usually skip the cutscene and sometimes even make its effects not happen, like you can skip turning on the grotto lasers

oh, and if you bash and then don't press any directional input after aiming the bash until ori hits the floor, ori's airspeed drops really slowly rather than rapidly dropping to normal airspeed cap

• Informative x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

oh there's also a spot in misty woods where you can save, and then go right, and watch a short cutscene, and when you come back the scene has changed but your save point is in the same spot which is now inside a tree stump, but not so inside the tree stump that you can't rekindle it

reloading after doing that puts you in out of bounds and you can carefully fall through out of bounds until you fall into forlorn but you must be careful because there are spikes that deal many damage if you fall too far and a safeguard voidout ceiling if you don't fall enough (that sends you back to your last save point which is annoying)

you can also rekindle OOB in ginso by saving and then pushing a little pushable portal thing over your save so you reload inside it and it can push you through the floor, from there you can drop through the ceiling and land next to a teleporter or you can go left, spending ability points to save in OOB to avoid the voiding out that happens every so often you're in that section of out of bounds and also to do glitchy (charge) dash reloads to hyperspeed and avoid dropping too much, and land all the way in mt horu

there is an entire category built around using glitches like that to do all the events and dungeon key collection in reverse order (starting horu escape, getting horu key, starting forlorn escape, getting forlorn key, finishing ginso escape, getting ginso key) and also another entire category where they go through the game without sein bash or stomp

• Informative x 3
  13. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

• Agree x 1
  14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

"if you cdash at the forlorn door

you just sorta

appear on the other side"

• Winner x 1
  15. Don't we already have a Skyrim thread? badum-tssh

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  16. Misty Pond

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I love Pokemon glitches so much, this is very interesting!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  18. Misty Pond

here's a playlist of videos on compiling all the possible glitches you can find in sonic 3 & knuckles! (plus a few in sonic 3.) it's very long and thorough, so probably best taken in pieces

eta: youtube has since disabled annotations, which the videos used to label and explain the glitches, but you can still see the commentary by turning on closed captions

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Winner x 1
  19. Misty Pond

not purely about glitches per se, but this blog dedicated to looking inside the programming of sonic 3 & knuckles lists some of the many glitches and oversights found in the game (several already covered by orkal/goldS' videos I linked to above) and explains why exactly they came to be through how the game was coded, and how several of them could be fixed up

extremely interesting read; game programming is just an overall fascinating subject imo

• Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Knives

Knives Active Member

It is, honestly. Especially seeing some of the videos on the clever workarounds people did with console hardware back in the pre-PS3 times to make things that would seem to be impossible otherwise, or how the ways that they handled certain things cause exploitable bugs for stuff like speedrunning. SM64 is one of the best sources of the latter imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice