Good Bye, Pterry.

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by seebs, Mar 12, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I'm not even really all that sad, because it's not as if we haven't had years of warning, so I was sort of reconciled to this, but. Still sucks. There will not be a new Pratchett book. If he was going places with things, we will not find out where in this life.

You may as well know this. Down in the deepest kingdom of the sea, where there is no light, there lives a type of creature with no brain, no eyes and no mouth. It does nothing but live and put forth petals of perfect crimson where none are there to see. It is nothing except a tiny yes in the night. And yet… it has enemies that bear it a vicious, unbending malice, who wish not only for its tiny life to be over but also that it had never existed. Are you with me so far?
    "Well, yes, but — "
    Good, now, imagine what they think of humanity.​

Yes, and imagine what they think of Terry Pratchett.

• Like x 7
  2. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Seconding the sentiment that it's incredibly sad and tragic, but also not unexpected. (And honestly, speaking as someone whose grandma has Alzheimer's and has thus seen just how awful it is, I'd say it's a relief of sorts, both for him and his loved ones.)

Still tragic. He was a brilliant man, and an amazing writer, and he left a wonderful impact on the world through his work.

I'm definitely gonna have to binge-read Discworld now. I can think of no better way to honor his memory.

• Like x 1
  4. wes scripserat

Agreed.
    on the reading his books thing though.
    to get my hands on then

5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

If you're okay with questionable methods, it's pretty easy to torrent his entire bibliography.

It's also pretty easy to find his books in stores, at least the Discworld series.

6. wes scripserat

Okay with questionable.

7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

[​IMG]

:C

• Like x 2
  8. mrozna

mrozna bloodthirsty hussar fuck

I could see that coming, but I still feel like crying. I'm going to miss him.

9. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I loved his witches. I´m sure death will be pleased to see him.

There are some of his books in audiobook form on youtube, though they may vanish at any time.

10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Echoing the sentiment that it was fairly expected; it's sad, yes, but I'm not especially broken up about it. (Certainly it's nothing on the wreck I was over Monty Oum.)

Rest well, PTerry.

• Like x 1
  11. wes scripserat

yeah.
    i was a lot more upset over monty oum then leonard nimoy.
    expected deaths, while tragic and horrible and *i just finished crying* are still expected.
    monty oum was fucking 33.
    anyway, PTerry is officially playing chess/whatever with Death.

12. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

Yeah, I am sad and in a semi-mourning, but in a sense it is... mostly a feeling of reminiscing and wanting to honor him by living my life as well as I can. His writing is incredibly inspiring. I don't think we could have asked for anything more. I'm just glad we had him at all. I'll drink to him tonight.

• Like x 6
  13. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Raire same. I've been looking for a way to describe it since I woke up and this is spot-on. I have not yet read most of his books - Discworld seems to be the sort of series that, once I start reading, it will take over the entirety of my life, and that is not a thing I can allow to happen without forethought - but I adore Good Omens, and have always had the impression that he was A Person (and Author) Of Note Who Is Worth Reading.

definitely drinking to him tonight. good call.

14. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

The Guards books got me through a very rough summer a few years back. He will be missed. It doesn't hurt the way Nemoy dying did I think because I came to be a fan as an adult and because I think we all knew this was coming for Sir Terry. And given his very public thoughts on the matter something he wanted to come before he lost himself so to speak. I hope he and DEATH pet a great many cats on their way to whatever is next.

• Like x 2
  15. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

@wes scripserat put some the ebooks on your amazon wishlist, I get some money on the 15th and I would be happy to send you some of the Discworld books, just let me know if you'd like to start with the Guards, Witches, or Wizards.

16. wes scripserat

amazon wishlist... i should probably set that up.
    only if you want?

• Like x 1
  17. wes scripserat

18. wes scripserat

tribute poem
    i can't claim god took you away
    you're likely, (if you're still around)
    drinking or whatever else you did
    or perhaps the after life
    is living an ideal life
    so you're a wizard
    or an assassin in the dark city
    or perhaps in the world of someone else
    where ever (if ever) you are
    i metaphorically drink to you
    and thank you for books i have read
    and have yet to read
    that have brought me closer to friends
    and given me words to express my own thoughts.
    so thank you,
    to a very good man
    or if not good
    a very great one.

• Like x 2
  19. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

[​IMG]
    Cheers Sir Terry. Thank you. You will be, and already are, missed.

• Like x 5
  20. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

after getting over my faint surprise, my first thought was that i needed to find some lilac to wear in remembrance, or perhaps have a hardboiled egg.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice