Grammar Help Oh God Please

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by keltka, Feb 13, 2017.

1. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

So I'm taking a class with this lady who's Kind Of Cool but also kind of Totally Nuts about grammar and I have NO FUCKING CLUE how to answer half of these and I CANNOT work the fuck out how to answer ANY of these please help me.

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 4.43.28 PM.png

2. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

bursts into thread tHIS IS MY TIME TO SHI---- just kidding i mostly have no idea
    I can't figure out the system for that at all (what does P-C4 mean?)

(.... but but but wouldn't #4 be incorrect on the basis of "Vessels, Owens, and Bradford" isn't a clause on its own? Should be preceded by a colon, not a semi-colon,)
    (maybe,)
    (?)

• Like x 1
  3. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

I think 4 should have a colon instead of a semi-colon…and 7 should probably be "If I were" instead of "If I was" because subjunctive?

• Like x 1
  4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

(sorry, don't know if you wanted feedback on all of these or just the ones with 'none' listed currently)

Sentence one... I don't like what they're doing with that 'has' and 'having', but I don't know how to apply it into proper words. Sentence number two doesn't have a proper subject. The sentence is all twisted up with commas, but if you untangle it, the sentence structure isn't there. Sentence three needs a comma or some kind of divider between the first and second half. Agreeing with the others that sentence four needs a colon. Sentence five doesn't have a verb. I... don't know what's up with sentence six. I don't like it, but I don't think it's technically incorrect. Maybe they want a pair of commas around 'such as these'? It changes the emphasis, but not really the structure :T Sentence seven probably needs the 'if I were'

• Like x 2
  5. keltka

Ah shit okay uh there's this Whole Big Document I'm supposed to look at and I can copy+paste stuff from it here if that might help with the weird system and problem shit and just
    sobs

6. keltka

on literally all of them I always considered myself Decent with grammar but this system makes no fucking sense and she has over fifty codes for each different thing
    I don't know why she couldn't make it pick from certain options

7. spockandawe

Is the code listed anywhere where you could copy and paste it online? I don't like formal grammar codes, but I do like sorting things.

• Like x 1
  8. valenstyne

valenstyne Went out for cigarettes, never came back

Oh, 6 probably needs some commas in "talented[,] athletic[,] skilled", plus that sounds redundant to me but I don't know if that's something you're supposed to consider.

…over fifty codes. That…is ridiculous.

• Like x 1
  9. keltka

I've got it in a document, so I'm gonna upload it to google and link the thing here—heads up, it's. 17 pages long.
    I read it twice. I'm still floundering.

10. spockandawe

eta: valenstyne's post about commas

^^^ yes, this is a good bet for what's wrong with number six. I don't think it's mandatory if you're playing by loose grammar rules, but if it's by the book, I think this is a good guess

• Like x 2
  11. keltka

12. spockandawe

(I'm on my way home from work, but I'll look as soon as I'm back)

• Like x 1
  13. keltka

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

14. Erica

squints
    why is the background red

(
    eta that this confusion is not directed at you, keltka, but at your professor)

• Like x 2
  15. Erica

" I will indicate “P-S1” in the comments for your paper if you have misused a semicolon in an attempt to join two main clauses."
    I think that's what should go in #4, then?

• Like x 1
  16. keltka

My theory was that she Secretly Hates us

OH THANK GOD I was trying to find that one but I couldn't find it and aAAAAAAAAA thank. thank you. god, why this, why the fuck.

17. Erica

"Another reason to use a comma is to separate adjectives that equally modify a noun, or coordinate adjectives." So that sounds like you do need commas for the NEXT TO LAST sentence I messed the order of the sentences up

" I will indicate “P-C5” in the comments for your paper if you have made a comma error with coordinate adjectives." for that one

eta wait youd already typed one in for that
    wait why is yours different
    hang on lemme look this up

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  18. Erica

Okay okay so P-C4 is for general missing commas with items in a series, and P-C5 is specifically for the above adjective situation. So it should be P-C5.

• Like x 1
  19. keltka

ohhhh geez okay thank you
    I've, honestly always thought I had a decent grasp on grammar? But this is just. it's. I can't. really??? I can't parse this. It hurts my head. seriously thank you so much, all of you guys, erica, you fucking rock.

• Like x 1
  20. Erica

(I'm sorry for being so unorganized I swear it's not on purpose x___x)

Either way yes sentence 7 (the actual last one) does in fact need 'If I were', Spock & valenstyne were right
    Quoting the doc again:

Can't figure out the code for it though, unless OMW is it? But that doesn't match the pattern :I

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice