Hades - Or: Escape your Passive Aggressive Dad

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Kittenly, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Yes you can pet Cerberus in this game!

I didn’t see a thread for this, so here’s a place to chat about Hades, the newest game from Super Giant. Hades is a Rogue-like hack and slash with RPG elements where you are Zagreus, son of Hades and you have decided to escape the Underworld for Reasons. Your extended family (ie the other Greek Gods) help you out how they can, granting you boons to bolster your fighting skills.

All in all I’m really impressed by how well thought out and integrated all the mechanics are. The boon system works incredibly well (Athena and Dionysus are my favorites) and I love the conversations and relationships that have been set up. I’m never too upset when I die, cause there will be someone interesting to talk to back at the house, and you do always make progress.

Zag is a wildly likable protagonist, who keeps up a dry, but typically good humored commentary. I love encountering the underworld inhabitants like Sisyphus and Eurydice.

However, fuck the Bone Hydra.

So what are you favorite weapons? Boons? Keepsakes? Also please make spoilers! I’ve gotten to elysium but don’t have any idea where the story is going.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Winner x 3
  2. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Dusa is BEST DUSA.

• Agree x 6
  3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Dusa is best Dusa

Cerberus is voiced by 4 dogs

Eta OOPS spoiler sorry

My friend plays this and hasnt gotten Patroclus to appear at all and is pissed about it

Im impressed by how many playstyles are like valid, different ppl can mow thru the game in totally different ways

Eta bonus: zagreus is voiced by Darren Korb, music man for Supergiant whomst did the male vocal parts for the Bastion soundtrack, and who alsp does the singing for a character in Hades

Ole Dad Hades himself shares a voice actor with like 5 other characters, iiirc the reason theyre able to have so much dialogue is the VAs are all existing team members who do other stuff as well

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    • Informative x 2
  4. Kittenly

Dusa is the best Dusa!!! I lover her so much, and while it means I’m a nosy bastard, I love listening in on her and Meg’s conversations.

That’s really interesting that all the VO is done by existing team members, it’s very solid and I am continually delighted by just how much of it there is.

The pacing of the game is so well done, just when you think you have things locked down, they game throws a slight curve at you with things like changing up the boss fights ever so slightly, new enemies appearing, that sort of thing.

I am trying to keep rotating through the weapons, but I’m definitely better with the melee focused ones, which actually surprised me since I usually find ranged Weapons easier to keep track of. But I find I like spamming the sword aoe (especially with hangover or doom) and the shield is probably my fav. It lets me control the pace of the fight more, also the bull rush is so much fun.

Just beat the bone Hydra with the bow, and honestly I think Athena’s dodge buff is the most useful power up I’ve found.

Oh and has anyone figured out casts? I never ever use mine.

• Like x 1
  5. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I havent played it but I know ppl use casts

Iirc only one person was specufically brought in for VA? And everyone else was in house.

Fun thing: when u use a call/summon(?) Some bosses will have a response to them, and i saw one the other day that was really sassy

you can Call Hades during the fight with him. He just says

"Oh, shut up!

• Winner x 1
  6. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I am very busy and too drained to video game very much but like. Best weapon is the spear. By far. Especially with that spread shit on it. SPEAR FOR LIFE. Worst is the bow. Fuck the bow. Bows weren't good in Bastion and they aren't good here either. STOP MAKING BOWS, SUPERGIANT GAMES. I LIKE ARES' SHIT MOST. I WANT TO BECOME DEATH INCARNATE AND LEAVE DEATH BEHIND ME. In terms of dash powerups the one I think is probably most useful though is Athena's. Even if I ultimately prefer ones like Zeus' more. Because I just like dashing and bringing DEATH to people.

This is also the most I've vibed with one of their games since Bastion. I liked Transistor and Pyre just fine but like. They left me wanting to play Bastion again. This does not. Also the soundtrack. It is a style I like and it is consistent. Transistor's was nice but not My Kind Of Music and Pyre's felt a bit too all over the place style wise. Bastion's I still prefer though because I've got An Aesthetic that I like and that aesthetic is HNNNNNNG COWBOYS.

My favorite character so far is Nyx and I love her dearly and I just really love Nyx for reasons. Really a lot of my reactions to the cast is "I really love you. ...for. reasons."

• Like x 3
  7. Aondeug

Related to that last thing. When Aphrodite showed up I almost fucking died. They just went for it.

• Agree x 1
  8. Aondeug

So I got to the gloves and I have to say I'm in love. It has killed my hands though because I am filled with this need to push all the buttons all the time at once CONSTANTLY. I am apparently able to hold the one button but my monkey brain goes PUSH BOTTON NEED BOTTON PUSH DFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGGG. MEG DIDN'T DO DICK TO ME THIS TIME BECAUSE OF THEM EAT SHIT MEG.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

no thoughts only asterius

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. Aondeug

He is my current nemesis. I have fallen every time we have met. BUT SOON. SOOOOOOON.

bone hydra has yet to fuck me but part of that is relying on death defiance which has gone off every time i've faced it. which means that we really are not hot shit against it yet. ONE DAY BONE HYDRA. YOU WILL TRULY GET YOURS.

• Like x 1
  11. Kittenly

Shield is definitely my primary weapon now. I had a great run the other day with deflect on the attack, doom on the special, and a duo boon of ares and Athena that made any attack that could deflect instantly trigger doom. It was a really fun combo.

i finally met Patroclus and I’m so hype to reunite my good paternal figure with his hubby.

• Like x 1
  12. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

so far my best weapon is the gun if I can get the Zeus attack boon on it (lightning chaining from attack), it just melts everything in sight x3 doubly so if I can augment it with a good Daedalus upgrade or two (almost all the attack-related hammer upgrades are good for that with the exception of probably Spread Fire, then the rest of the run is just grabbing boons to supplement my attack damage or add more effects to the lightning and all that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice