Handwriting Thread

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by BlackholeKG, Aug 30, 2016.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Handwriting.JPG

1. Take a piece of paper
    2. Write something on it
    3. Take a photo
    4. Upload
    5. Show off what your handwriting looks like!
    I am always interested in what different people's handwritings look like, as I feel that it always contains a lot of personality (that either may or may not be related to the personality of the writer :P).

That's mine up there. It's a pretty standard sample of what my handwriting looks like most of the time, although a few things have changed over the years. The diagonal cross lines on things like capital letters and 't's are a relatively new thing, and the lines on my 't's tend to vary between horizontal and the diagonal ones depending on how hurriedly I'm writing or how exuberant I'm feeling. Also, I used to write my 'e's differently after I took a handwriting class with a tutor when I was 10, but some time over my time at school they reverted to how I'd done them previously. My 'f's have also changed - they didn't used to loop round, and rather I used to take my pen off the paper, cross them through and continue the line from there, but at some point the crossless 'f' superceded (It's not present in this exercise book I have to hand from when I was 16, which also has a sporadic mix of diagonal and horizontal 't' crossbars, but I struggle not to do it now).

In addition, I think my handwriting fluency has atrophied a little since I've been on my gap year and haven't had cause to write by hand every day. I seem to be making more mistakes, and also, worryingly, upon writing that out I realised that my hand seemed to have forgotten how to write the letter 'z', which I always used infrequently as it is and had a weird formulation for (where I go over the lines twice to return to the bottom of the text line, as opposed to other people's I've seen who jump up and cross down like I would when just starting a word, but which feels really unnatural). I now have a few pages of my notebook covered in 'z's in various deformed states before I reminded myself how to write it naturally. I guess this is a sign that I should practice hand writing things more, but I suppose university will see to my doing that. :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Like x 1
  2. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

your 'f 's are adorable

• Like x 3
  3. BlackholeKG

fuckyea.jpg

• Like x 5
  4. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

Heyo coolio!
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  5. BlackholeKG

Ooh! Cool words!

I don't know where you live, but does handwriting specifically refer to cursive there? I know that a lot of places don't teach cursive forms as the default (although here in the uk we all had to learn it/use it), but "handwriting" doesn't just refer to cursive or "joined-up" writing here, but rather anything written by hand is an example of someone's handwriting. Is that different elsewhere?

6. Imoyram

@BlackholeKG
    Here in Manitoba canada, we learn handwriting/cursive/joined up and swirly in about grade 3 (uh... age.... 8-9 depending on birthday) and learn printing (not joined up and swirly) in kindergarten. We are not restricted to using cursive in basically anything, and some forms need to be printed for legibility, i dont know if college needs cursive, i dont think so.

handwriting, can? be printing here, but is usually cursive. hand written refers to anything written by hand though. I think most people here will think cursive if I said handwriting (here as in manitoba canada)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. BlackholeKG

Ah, right. As I say, "handwriting" just means "how you write something by hand" here, and not necessarily cursive at all (although in practice it almost always has been as everyone learns/learned (they might have stopped now) cursive when they were 6/7/8 and it's the natural progression in how writing is/was taught and what everyone eventually ends/ended up using.)

At least, that's what handwriting means for me. Your handwriting has always just meant "how you write stuff by hand", however that may be.

• Like x 1
  8. Imoyram

Cool! It's interesting to see the cultural differences.
    heh. Most of the people my age here hate writing in cursive, and have definitely switched back to printing.

9. Socket

Socket fuzzy tabletop goblin

@BlackholeKG I love how loopy and flowy your letters are!! It's a lot more elegant than my weird inconsistent lettering.
    14182181_1304552992902484_1743205384_n.jpg

i have literally forgotten how to write in cursive. and good riddance to it because my cursive was always dismal. :L

• Like x 3
  10. Imoyram

I have a neat reference sheet here too!
    Though my printing is usually much more rushed than this, hah
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  11. BlackholeKG

I never learned cursive forms for uppercase letters (that I can remember), and they always look kinda weird to me, aha. Maybe that's partially because apparently British cursive is different to what they use over in the Americas, however! One time I posted some writing to tumblr and somebody was like "that's not cursive!", and I was like "...yeah it is". So I think it's different depending on where you come from, and that's even before all my personal differences in letter formation are taken into account (I'm pretty sure I do some of them in a non-standard fashion).

And I've always been particularly perplexed by the 'z' with a descender, aha. Very strange. I think there's technically a British version that uses it, with like, a big downwards loop, but it's certainly not anything I ever was particularly taught/started using, so I'm not sure.

• Like x 4
  12. BlackholeKG

Looking at it, yours looks like it's probably this style of cursive which I found on wikipedia (which apparently is the standard US-taught one), which to me looks in places overcomplicated compared to what I learned, but then what I know. Also I notice that it involves taking your pen off the page in order to cross an 'x' character, as opposed to the way I learned where you keep your pen on the paper and sort of do two 'c's back to back with one flipped, resulting in the curvy 'x' you see in my photograph.

Capital letters I just leave not joined up because I don't believe I ever learned how to do them. I wonder what method I was taught by? If I can find it I can figure out where I've personally diverged from it. Lemme look and see if I can find it...

• Like x 4
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

20160830_181401.jpg

Hopefully that's legible/not too dim

• Like x 4
  14. iff

iff Well-Known Member

So in Spain people only learn (or used to when/where I grew up, anyway) to write in cursive (or more like printing uppercase and cursive lowercase), but most people start writing in a printing style(?) of their own accord by like 6th grade or so. The first time I encountered anyone caring about my writing style was when taking American tests for stuff, like TOEFL/SAT and such. And at first it was like ??????????? what??? you want me to write in cursive?????? what am I, a word processor???

• Like x 2
  15. BlackholeKG

Well, I'm utterly failing to find the name of whatever cursive style I learned. I've found a few kid's worksheets that seem to use it (the giveaway being the presence of the curved 'x' amongst other things), but I can't for the life of me find what it's called, if it even has a name. The worksheets just refer to it as "cursive", which is unhelpful.

• Like x 2
  16. [​IMG]

• Like x 5
  17. iff

iff Well-Known Member

@Socket I really like your handwriting :3 especially the all caps.

• Like x 1
  18. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

hoooooo boy I was specifically taught cursive a year early because i have really bad handwriting? or i was having trouble or something so they wanted to give me a head start. it really didn't stick, I'm in Ontario so we used the same kind of cursive that @Imoyram was talking about. the garbage letter Gs that i mention are like, stupid squares and i hated them?? they look so bad? I can't really remember the uppercases if they're not just bigger versions of the lowercase letters. my mom has very nice handwriting that i have to read slowly because it's all complicated and bleh anyways here's my handwritings

IMG_20160830_0001.jpg

(PS i learned how to write the capital K late? or i just kind of... had to learn by observation what made it different from lowercase k. so my upper and lower Ks look the same basically

also the N and M in cursive always messed me up? like you had to go like.... up, do a little curvy bit, and then the actual curve(s) of the "n" or "m" so "n"s would look like "m"s with one leg up on a chair or something, and "m"s would just have three legs for no reason or rather, three...humps?

• Like x 2
  19. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

IMG_20160831_000005.jpg

• Like x 3
  20. iff

iff Well-Known Member

rps20160831_123254.jpg

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice