HEADS UP: Update/move/etc. "soon"

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Dec 16, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So among other things, the machine the site is on right now is actually scheduled for being decommissioned at the end of the month. I should have new machine up by Mondayish.

I'll probably have a couple of brief outages before that for backups/extraction-of-data to make sure everything's surviveable.

• Like x 19
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

when will 2016 stop ruining everything???1

but really, thanks for the heads up seebs, here's to everything going smoothly.

• Like x 6
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

if something goes wrong, you'll let us know, right?

• Like x 2
  4. Acey

Acey our liaison—oh, it was poison, baby!

Thanks for letting us know!

• Like x 2
  5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

what on earth am i going to do with my time o_o

but actually thanks Seebs :)

• Like x 5
  6. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

can we hold a funeral for the old machine ;^;

• Like x 9
  7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

... black veils for all our avatars?

• Like x 9
  8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Your avatar makes this request quite heartbreaking

• Like x 7
  9. seebs

So the situation right now: I have a new machine, it exists, and I'm going to be trying to get everything configured and moved in the next week or so. Somewhere soon I'll shut the forums down and make an extra set of known-good backups of all the forum stuff in case of Excitement, then bring the forum back up. Later, there'll be a shutdown with it not expected to come back up until new machine. At that point, the site will be turned off, with the message saying that it'll be up on the new machine. Eventually. The idea is then that we'll point the name to the new machine, and it'll take a day or two for the name service to start resolving to the new address.

• Like x 9
  10. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

new machine, new year!!!!!

• Like x 6
  11. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Now I'm just picturing old Komo here wearing a tiny lacy black veil and lipstick and cracking up XD (Someone else would have to do this I suck at photoshop)

• Like x 2
  12. seebs

Okay, so. At this point, there will be a brief outage so I can make dumps of the Kintsugi database. Shutting down the site so I can make sure there's no database access and get clean dumps of the database.

• Like x 1
  13. seebs

okay, copies made. we'll see how/whether it works.

• Like x 4
  14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

go seebs go

• Like x 5
  15. Izevel

Izevel capuchin hacker fucker

When this happens, can you give us a more specific timeframe, even if it is only an estimation? I think many of us (*cough*me*ahem*) (but not only me, also the large concentration of fellow brainweirds) would really appreciate that.

Additionally, if possible, could you put a notice up somewhere where people who don't routinely check this forum will still see it, even if they're not actively looking for forum news? Or is that asking too much of you? Or already done somehow but I haven't seen it cause I only just logged on?

• Like x 3
  16. seebs

I don't really have an easy way to improve on things, and I'm already sorta up against the wall with the deadlines, because of course things went wrong in exciting and unplanned ways.

My current estimate: Sometime soonish I'll have a test copy of the site running on the new machine. If that looks like it's working, I'll probably then shut this one down with an informative message, make fresh copies of anything that may have changed in the last day or so, and once those are copied to the new machine, I'll redirect the kintsugi.seebs.net name to the new machine. Will take a couple of hours probably for that to propagate.

• Like x 2
  17. seebs

Okay, I've confirmed that I can make the site work on the new hardware. Shutting down Real Soon, then transferring data.

• Like x 2
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

yay! kintsugi is safe!!!

• Like x 1
  19. seebs

Seems to be done yay.

• Like x 9
  20. seebs

BTW, we should get noticably improved performance for a couple of reasons. (People who know/care about such things: We weren't using anything even similar to fastcgi before, we were just loading the PHP binary for every single page view, because it was set up in a hurry.)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice