healthcare scare and advice

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Another Shy One, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

so currently, i am on my dads healthcare insurance plan. I am considered a dependent until i turn 26, which will be in may 2017. My parents are pressuring me to find a full time job right away that will provide a healthcare plan. My mom keeps saying that welfare healthcare is horrible and i will not be able to get the services i need (I have diabetes and need careful monitoring since my bloodsugars are very high). I have ADHD which is making it very hard for me to find a job. Asking for job applications is easy. Filling them out and turning them in in a decent amount of time is...well...not. And not to mention the fact that most places that would hire me are mostly looking for part-time, which means no health insurance anyways. That being said, I am probably going to have sign up for obamacare california style. Do i sign up now or do i have to wait until next year before i can, also how does one navigate the healthcare site in the event i do sign up now? paperwork is not my forte.

2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

MediCal is what I'm on and it's been decent so far, I think?

3. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

I think generally you have to sign up by January, however the "goes off parents' insurance at 26th bday" counts as an exception to that.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

iirc just click the big green button and it should guide you through. It won't hurt to sign up early, i think it will be ok if you wait, but if you have a hard time filling out forms it might be a good idea to at least make an account now.]

Edit: from what I recall (i did this a year ago so i dont remember exactly) you can either pick from the plans offered for your income bracket or let them choose for you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Like x 1
  4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'm in SC, so the process is probably different, but right now through at least December 15, possibly to January 1, is open enrollment period, so you can sign up now if you want. Plan for the process to be spoon-draining, as it's filling out online forms and then doing comparisons. It'll ask you some demographic info and income info to see if you have to pay out of pocket or not - I don't qualify for help, so I don't know what that process is like - and then it will display available plans for you. If you have doctors and medications you need to be covered, there's a place you can input them and it will only show you plans where those meds are covered and those doctors are in network. Then you can compare things like co-pays, deductibles, and maximum out of pocket costs, depending on how many plans are available. Your new plan goes into effect January 1.

If you choose not to enroll now, you will qualify to enroll when you lose insurance though a special enrollment period - this happens if you get married, lose a job, move states, or lose insurance.

• Like x 1
  5. Another Shy One

So i looked the ca healthcare website last night (i have 60 days after my bday to enroll with special circumstances) and tried to make an account and the thing that fucked me up the most was actually creating a password. THRY FUCKING WONT LET YOU USE ANYTHING FOUND IN A DICTIONARY. they want a scramble of letters and numbers and i cant do that. if my pws arent halfway coherent, i straight up forget them and i dont really write them down cause im paranoid someone will find them and use my accounts irresponsibly. i gave up after half an hour of trying to appease their stupid pw rules :smithsad:

6. Another Shy One

Also i just want to thank everyone here for their responses. youve helped delay a mental breakdown from the sheer ADHDness that is me.

• Like x 1
  7. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Perhaps use something you will remember and switch out some of the obvious letters for numbers?

8. Another Shy One

Despite how homestuck i am when it comes to reading numbers as letters, my brain literally does not consider that as acceptable. i might try it later when i have the spoons though, just because im desperate to get started on the paperwork before the ADHD kicks in and i procrastinate on the rest of it.

9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Another Shy One one of the most common pieces of advice is to use the first letters of a phrase you'll remember - a song title, a common saying, etc. I'll often use either a collection of nonsense syllables that are nonetheless common (shoopdawoop isn't a dictionary word, but it's easy to remember) or something that's like... A made-up word that nonetheless has an association for me, like the name for magic in a video game or something. Then I attach a set of significant numbers or numbers that just feel nice to the end.

Edit: so for the phrase thing, you could do, say how I wish you were here as HIWYWH or one legged man in an ass kicking contest (it's... A very southern phrase) as 1lmiaakc. Neither are dictionary words, but they actually mean something.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like x 1
  10. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

another thing you could do is take a word in a foreign language and write it in Latin letters.

• Like x 1
  11. Another Shy One

Gues who did the thing!!!

Psst: it me

I finally figured out a pw that was acceptable to the healthcare gods of cali and I only answered like 3 questions before i called it quits but fuck if thats not progress for someone like me

Next challenge: answer the rest of the questions and look at options before 26th bday. idk if i should even set a time limit... idk if it would even help my case :[

• Like x 3
  12. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

If you don't have a job you're probably going to go to the state system; if you do have a job at that point you'll have options through healthcare.gov. When you do get to the point of looking at plans on healthcare.gov, go for Silver: they're the ones where you get federal subsidies (well, at this point, who knows under the Orange One).

13. Another Shy One

The thing is i do sort of have a job, but its... i help a kind of private preschool??? the lady i work for has a daycare license and uses that to run a preschool. state/county law says that if you have more than 15 kids in your care, youre allowed to hire one or two assistants. so im her assistant on certain days and hours. she has an application thing that i filled out, but because i dont get more than a certain amount each month, im not like qualified for doing taxes (10... something or other) or getting social security stuff. she pays me with regular checks, the kind i used to get when i babysat, so to me, it doesnt feel like a real official job and i wont qualify for any healthcare stuff through this job. :/ i feel like i put myself in a diffcult position by working for her.

14. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Okay, so, you can totally do taxes with that. It's definitely a real job, and you can just put on the forms that healthcare isn't offered through your place of work or that you'd prefer to do it differently. Does she have a 1099 for you? If so, she should get it to you by the end of january and then you can use that for taxes and also all of the applications.

Note that this is based on filing self-employment and small business taxes in Wisconsin/federally and in British Columbia - I haven't specifically done anything in California.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  15. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

So, losing your existing healthcare is a Qualifying Event and means you can enroll even though it won't be open enrollment in May. You probably want to do that so you don't have to start paying now and be double-covered. That said, it's good that you're starting now, because the process can take a while. It may well be worth looking into whether there's anyone in your area who can talk you through it. I know in my part of California there are free/low-cost services that go through the whole thing with you and help you with the dumb website.

16. Another Shy One

@Chiomi there is a tax thing that my boss does file my work under byt i forget the number (why are there so many number involved tax... i know why, im just.. soo many numbers 0.o)

@Vierran there is option on the site to get in touch with someone local to talk you through the process. i just feel really anxious when talking to people about getting help and i just dont know a good time to do it because my mom is around and i dont want to do this kind of thing when shes around because thanks to my dad, shes got a republican mindset towards obamacare.

That was an exhausting and run on sentence to write.

17. Another Shy One

UPDATE: I have appeased the mother and have gone to my local county health and social services and picked up paperwork for foodstamps and healthcare paper. According a friend, if i fill out the foodstamp program, they'll also automatically check to see if im qualified for medical... which i'll probably be considering not working enough hours, diabetes and mental stuff... i mean... fingers crossed right?

Bonus: me and a friend worked on said paperwork in the library and we made a date to turn in paperwork next week.

Worries: i have money saved up in both my checking and savings account yo try to pay off my student loans in one fell swoop and im worried that i wont get any coverage because of it. Does anyone know if there is a cap to how much you have in the bank before you qualify for shit? I know having less is better but how much less?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice