Hello it is the me

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by BlackholeKG, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

I'm sort of worried by how much I am not using this place recently. I still feel like I have a connection to it and so I don't want to get into a habit of being away.

However, it seems like a lot of changes have been happening while I haven't been paying attention, and I don't want to be backreading all the threads for important information...

Would it be possible to have a quick summary of the site/community changes that have gone down over like the past month?

Thankee

2. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

idk about the rest but we have a Private Screaming Forum now

no one can see the threads you make except you and the mods so its good cutlery throwing vent space

• Like x 1
  3. BlackholeKG

That sounds good.

4. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

there is now a way to ignore threads and entire forums, without having to request it.

• Like x 2
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

There's a FAQ page being worked on; there's a Google Doc link so people can comment.

• Like x 1
  6. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

it is now possible to disable the ability to see ignored content

7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Seebs is on moderation (so that their posts about forum things can be debugged for minimal Upset by other mods) and there's an organized effort to set up a list of forum guidelines/FAQ for common questions. I think that the charter was updated/posted while you were away, there's the ignore feature for thread/forums, you can now request that ignored post content be rendered inaccessible and mutual ignores be enforced and... there's a vent button option for thread creation, to better signal which threads are vent threads.

I think that's the basic jist of changes?

edit: AND I GOT NINJA'D FOR ALL OF IT. :P

• Like x 4
  8. BlackholeKG

Oooh, link?

9. BlackholeKG

Cool!

Thanks guys for posting The Things

• Like x 1
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Link!

11. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Here.

ETA: I GOT NINJA'D BACK. :::PPP

• Like x 2
  12. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, quick summary: I have become convinced that, while I disagree on some of the specifics about More Moderation Needed, that there really is a need for things. One of those things is I've concluded that using post moderation only for extreme meltdowns is not gonna work; it should be in use whenever someone is persistently unwilling or unable to refrain from hurting people. Since I can't do tact while thinking about community (recent discovery; I only have one social-processing function at once), I'm on post moderation.

More generally, we are planning to have a rule. Just one, exact wording still being poked at, and there will come a point when everyone is automatically logged out and required to log back in, and logging in will require acceptance of the rule, because a very large portion of the problem comes from the fact that people never had to actually agree to cooperate with or even tolerate the forum's intended community structure. And there's a lot of fallout and indirect side-effects of having people actively advocating against the forum's goals.

13. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

For very personal reasons, I hope the arbitrary checking of a box or anything similar will not be necessary. It will be really difficult for me to get past, regardless of the contents I'm agreeing to.

14. seebs

That's Too Hard, it'll just be text immediately above the button.

To clarify: We've had complaints about asking people to Do A Thing when they weren't sufficiently-clearly told about it, so.

15. Aqua Vitae

Can the button say something like "I have read all the above." instead of anything about agreeing?

16. seebs

No.

We don't really have enforcement powers, the rule itself is innately unenforceable. The community cannot function if people don't agree to make the effort. And right now, they can just say "well I didn't know that" or "I never agreed to that". So. There will come a time when, if you are logged in, you have in fact agreed to the thing. Full stop.

17. In that case, for the sake of people who find themselves unable, for whatever reason, to agree to anything, can we have at least a week's notice before the forced log out happens? That way people have time to make sure they have outside contact with people they don't want to lose.

• Like x 2
  18. Aqua Vitae

I worry about my ability to participate further in the forum if you force that on me. It's not even that I disagree with the principles you want everyone to abide by, Seebs, the method is inaccessible to me and that is not fair.

• Like x 1
  19. seebs

I am not understanding what the accessibility thing is. Like, what about "agree to a principle you think is reasonable" makes it a problem?

... I'm sorta getting a vibe like "said yes to something one of the Fae said once and it worked out badly and now can't agree to things even if you think they're reasonable". Is that about the thing? (I mean, fae, governments, abusers, whatever, same diff.)

20. BlackholeKG

I'm not sure I see a way around this issue, here. If the requirement is that people agree to a rule, then people sort of have to... agree to the rule, is this just a general "agreeing to things" brainbug, or? I mean generally sometimes that's just a necessary thing you have to do, right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice