Hello it is the me

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by BlackholeKG, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

Especially when the terms will probably remain nebulous and subject to change according to the whimsy of our benevolent dictator.
    Yes. Nice catch.

2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay.

So my problem right now is, I have had a significant number of people either flatly refusing to attempt to do the thing, or stating that they were never informed, or whatever. And I get that people with mental health problems can't always fully control everything they do, but I would like to have consistent buy-in for the basic premise that people being hurt is a bad thing even if it's less bad than any alternative you can think of. Because we can deal with conflicting access requirement problems, and mental health problems, and all that at least tolerably well if everyone at least agrees that we are trying to deal with these things. But once we have people actively saying "no, the forum's ideals are wrong and I am going to stay here and actively oppose them", it's no longer possible for the community to handle the thing without massive damage.

That said... "can be held to" is itself sort of a question. What would "being held to" imply? Because the thing I've come to conclude after a lot of philosophical discussions is that the thing I want people to agree to is inherently unenforceable. There can never be any kind of enforcement for it; it's impossible. It's not even logically coherent.

3. Aqua Vitae

The consistent buy-in you might receive from forcing everyone to agree to a certain forum baseline before they can participate again is functionally useless. There will be some who will lie about their agreement, some who don't care at all and are just clicking the button to get back in, etc. I don't think it's going to be the effective solution you want it to be but I am willing to go along with it, I just can't handle the specifics of what you've proposed so far.

YOUR FACE ISN'T LOGICALLY COHERENT

I can't turn it into something that makes sense, I'm sorry.

ETA: @BlackholeKG Since this is your thread, I can take this to PMs or a different thread if you like?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Like x 2
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

It's not exactly intended as a full solution, but as a way to try to get past the "I was never told about X" or "I don't value X so I'm not gonna" thing. It's not a general solution, but it might at least give everyone a common understanding of what the stated intent is.

Hmm.

I might be able to get something like "agree that this is the stated vision/purpose of the forum", which isn't a commitment to do the thing, exactly, but at least recognizes its importance to the community.

• Like x 4
  5. Aqua Vitae

That is much better for me. Takes a lot of pressure and fear away. Thank you.

• Like x 4
  6. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

You can do that, or discuss it here if you like. I don't really mind. It is somewhat off topic, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice