Hello there (again)!

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by inchwyrm, Apr 19, 2018.

1. inchwyrm

inchwyrm I wear the cheese

Hello there (again)!

I've actually been here for a while (I used to mainly post in the pets thread bc pets are good and pure), but lurked so hard that I completely fell off the forum lol. I would like to not lurk because it's nice here, but I'm very awkward and don't understand how forums work because social etiquette is hard and forum etiquette is harder!

I am friendly and love talking, but am profoundly bad at it!!! Things I like talking about a lot at the moment are D&D (I play a half-elf rogue who is a terrible person but is working towards self-improvement, a tiefling bard who is terrible and not even remotely trying to improve and who will push you under a cart driven by a horde of goblins without a second thought, and a half-orc druid who literally wouldn't hurt a bullywug... apart from that time I rolled a nat 1 and non-lethal damage became Exceedingly Lethal Damage), The Adventure Zone, and video games and books are things I am always super into. Currently reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik which I'm enjoying a loooooot.

Another reason I wanted to return is because I'm currently thinking very hard about whether or not I might possibly be on the autism spectrum? However, I'm having a hard time thinking about this without feeling Very Bad, and I remembered that here is a place that is supportive of that kind of speculation??? So perhaps I will attempt to Make Words on that in the future.

Anyhoo, this has been me rambling for several paragraphs and I don't know how this works, so hello! :'D

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Hi again! :D It’s cool to see you around!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

D&D and The Adventure Zone are very good things and very good to talk about :D I had to leave the D&D group I was in but I played a tiefling rogue who.... tries her best. I recently joined a Starfinder group and I'm having a lot of fun with that! I'm super excited for the new season of TAZ and I would die for Aubrey and Dr. Harris Bonkers

4. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Hi, welcome, I think there are threads specifically for all the things you listed!

-D&D
    -TAZ
    Fan Town threads may/may not have conversations going on in them at any given time, but it is completely acceptable to just write a thing about the fandom without relating it to what's going on in the thread.

-Subforum full of people discussing whether they belong on the ASD spectrum
    Includes many example threads of ways to speculate and discuss, what kinds of advice you are likely to receive, etc.

Hopefully this is helpful, and not just stating the obvious. Looking forward to seeing you around!

5. inchwyrm

@IndigoRiffRaff I can't wait to start listening to the new season! I still have to catch up on the end of Dust because I've somehow fallen horribly behind??? But aaahh I do love Aubrey so much! TAZ in general just fills me with so much joy :') Also, what is Starfinder? I don't think I've ever heard of this before?

@Vierran That was very helpful, thank you! Particularly the part about it being acceptable to just write a thing, because that's a thing I am always very unsure about! I look forward to having a proper poke about this time around! :D

• Like x 1
  6. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

It's another tabletop RPG, made by the same company as Pathfinder, mostly uses Pathfinder mechanics afaik, in a sci-fi setting.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Welcome back! Glad to have you here!

I hope you are able to talk about your thoughts about the autistic spectrum whenever you feel comfortable. The advice and support I’ve gotten here for mental health and disability has changed my life. Not right away, but I joined a year and a half ago when I was barely able to get out of bed and now I’m back in college. You do have to reach out and let people in, which is terrifying sometimes, but it seems like you’re already set to try. That’s awesome, so congratulations!

• Winner x 2
  8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

hello! i love your description of your characters, especially your tiefling bard, and i'd love to hear more about them. TAZ is great and i love Naomi Novik (though i haven't read Uprooted yet! but i want to). welcome back! :D

9. inchwyrm

@Verily Thank you, that's really encouraging! I had a similar experience in that when I first joined a couple years ago I was struggling a lot with anxiety/depression, and if it weren't for the advice I got here, I might never have sought the help I needed. So definitely feeling positive about reaching out again, just also very nervous haha!

@hyrax Aaaah thank you, I'm always happy to ramble on about my characters, haha :'D Uprooted is actually the first of her books that I've read, but I'm definitely interested in reading others - do you have any recommendations? :D

• Like x 2
  10. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

the Naomi Novik i'm familiar with is her Temeraire series! the basic premise is "what if the Napoleonic Wars but with dragons?" but it soon becomes a full-on alternate history story. it's great even if you're not a big nerd for both late 18th-early 19th century history and dragons like i am. ^_^

• Like x 1
  11. inchwyrm

Welp, that's gone straight on my reading list! :'D

• Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice