[Hello World]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by Quell, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Quell

Quell the unnamable

Hello!

I'm Quell, which is not really a name I'd prefer, but I'm nervous about people I know somehow finding me through the internet name I like to use. I'm delurking after a few days of poking around; I found this place through Google after stumbling across Seebs' tumblr. So, um, I don't actually know anybody here, and I don't have a very good history with being active on forums (I tend to never post anything).

Stuff relevant to forum I'm comfortable sharing: AFAB and genderqueer (they/them pronouns make me happy), diagnosed autism, ADHD, depression (diagnosis has been waffly over whether it's dysthymia or not), generalized anxiety disorder. Trying once again to stick with therapy + medication, because executive dysfunction has historically made it hard to do so. Am here mostly because it seems like a good place, and because I've been dumping a lot of my problems on a friend of mine. My friend is great, and they say they like helping, but I still feel bad about it.

I like art and writing and video games, particularly RPGs and visual novels. Right now I've been watching Let's Plays of Alien: Isolation and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, because I really love the horror genre even if it doesn't play nice with my anxiety sometimes. I RP fantrolls on tumblr in a small circle of very good online friends, and I play tabletop RPGs with some of my high school friends over Skype.

This summer, I'm taking the quarter off from community college to sort out my mental health (couldn't complete spring quarter due to a recent emotional crisis :/), but my mom has imposed the condition that in order to do so, I need to be working on a project. So I'll be working on a video game of my own, because video games are cool.

...That's me! [jazz hands??]

• Like x 4
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Huh!

So I was all "oh shit" when I saw "my mom has imposed the condition", but then we got to "need to be working on a project", and she didn't do the "if it's not formally endorsed by a structured thing it doesn't count" thing, and that's actually pretty cool of her.

• Like x 1
  3. Quell

Quell the unnamable

I have kind of a complicated relationship with my parents, so I'm crossing my fingers that this whole summer project thing will be okay? We haven't hashed out the details yet. She told me that she didn't think it would be good for me to "sit around and do nothing all summer," which, okay, probably not.

4. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

hello!! nice to meet you :) i hope that even if you don't post very much, you still find this place useful to you

5. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Hi! Welcome to Kintsugi!

6. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Hi, its nice to meet a new person on the forums!

7. Quell

Quell the unnamable

Hello to all of you as well! c:

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

any favorites? also, welcome! i am too much of a scaredy cat to watch an lp of alien: isolation all the way through but i love the franchise!

9. Quell

Quell the unnamable

I like Dragon Age (haven't finished DA:I yet though), Neverwinter Nights, Skyrim (only Elder Scrolls game I've ever played), and... I know I like other RPGs but I'm kind of blanking, haha (don't have access to the desktop atm).

• Like x 2
  10. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

If you're interested, there's a Dragon Age thread right here! Welcome to the forum! :D

11. kmoss

kmoss whoops

sup dude!
    (dude is a cool reference for you, right? I can make a retraction if you so desire)
    this place is a pretty cool place to dump feelings
    feel free to ask if you're confused about any threads! people here are generally very cool with explaining anything from "ah, yes, this social rule" to "and that's the story of why I'm afraid of dustbunnies"

• Like x 1
  12. Quell

Quell the unnamable

Thank you! :D The only reason I'll stay out of that thread for now is spoilers, but maybe it'll motivate me to actually finish the game hahaha

"Dude" is totally fine and thank you for asking!
    I'm mostly lurking now, trying to get a feel for how things work here—not totally sure what forum my feelings dumpage should go in (or whether I have The Right(TM) to dump feelings, but I guess that's a common concern), but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

• Like x 1
  13. Sol

Sol needs a coffee

hi! tell us about the game you're working on/planning!

14. Quell

Quell the unnamable

Hi!

It's called Starlight Hollow and I originally started planning it when I was seventeen to work through some stuff that was going on with me (mostly abusive relationship/recovery related stuff). Four years later, I hope that the external motivation this summer will help me make more progress on it, although as the disclaimer page on my blog says, I don't actually think it's going to be completed in three months.

Speaking of the blog for it, here's a link if anyone wants to see (since I don't think anyone will try to find me by searching for it): http://starlighthollow.tumblr.com (sorry, I'm trying to post on a phone OTL) I haven't done much work on the blog the past few days since I've been sick and without desktop access, but you can look at some text and some sparkly space images.

The concept in my head is visual novel-esque with some RPG elements, because those are things I like. Make The Game You Want To See In The World(TM).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Like x 4
  15. Derpyteacakes

Derpyteacakes Thread Hermit

Hello new person! welcome to kintsugi!
    OOh your game sounds neat. :D

16. Quell

Quell the unnamable

Thank you! :D

-

...Query: I'm thinking about making a thread where I analyze and unpack some of my disordered thinking (among other stuff), and maybe seek advice/other perspectives if that's okay (even if the advice is just "what do I do to address this in therapy"). Where would I put that sort of thread, if it's appropriate for this forum at all?

17. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Probably Braaaaaains for analysis and advice and Brainbent for getting things off your chest and group hugs. Technically either would work, but I think forumgoers would bring more of a problem-solving mentality to bear if you put it in Braaaaaains.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice