Hello!

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by Exohedron, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

This account is Exohedron[1], I suppose. Don't really care about pronouns or the attached gender constructions. Apathetic regarding several identity aspects, somehow forgetful regarding others.
    I like math and physics and wordplay and science fiction and discussions about moral and epistemological philosophy. I like a bunch of other stuff but don't really get around to talking about it[2]. I like saying true things in an enthusiastically insincere manner, but that doesn't translate so well onto the internet; I also like saying blatantly false things in an enthusiastically sincere manner, but only when I'm sure that my audience will not believe me, so again not so great on the internet. I like self-reference, but am not actually all that fond of referring to myself[3].
    I like making paragraphs that are only one sentence long, but my sentences tend to be somewhat lengthy so it balances out a little bit.
    That last sentence is actually a lie; I don't actually like making such paragraphs, I just do it anyway out of habit and not caring that I do it[5].
    I'm somewhat low empathy, both for others and for myself, which may be tied to my identity issues (issues with the process of identifying, not issues with the result of said process), which makes the discussions about morality somewhat tricky because I tend to be missing a few assumptions but I try my best[4].

I am bad at introductions, so here's a puzzle: suppose you have two irregular, flammable ropes and a lighter and you know that each rope, if lit on one end, will burn up entirely in exactly an hour, but because they're irregular you can't say how much rope corresponds to any other unit of time. How do you measure out 45 minutes?

[1] [citation needed]
    [2] ibid.
    [3] ibid.
    [4] [out of order?]
    [5] ibid.

2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Traditional answer:

Light one rope on one end, the other rope on both ends. After half an hour, the first rope will be half consumed, the other will be all gone, so light the other end of the second rope at that point.

I think I heard this on Car Talk once.

3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

lay one of the ropes out on someone's nice carpet, sit there flicking your lighter, and demand a new watch.

if they manage to get the first one away from you, you've even got a backup. :D

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

I'd measure out the 45 minutes on my phone or computer clock. Why waste such nice, flammable rope?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice