Heroes: Reborn

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Deresto, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

okay so i didn't see a thread for this yet, i'm hoping at least a few other people will be interested. is anyone else watching heroes reborn? me and the fam just saw episode 3 tonight (we recorded it) and i legit had flashbacks to the sentinal project in the Marvel Xmen universe. that's some scary shit right there.

what's your favorite character arc so far?

i'm actually really digging the whole "tragic married couple seeks vengeance for son's death a la murder spree" arc, not necessarily because of said murder spree but the "oh god i'm unexpectedly an evo my wife's literally going to kill me" on top of "how the hell do i control this power" drama is so interesting. plus what the hell is going on with the dude with the pennies. that's just weird.

anyway, so far i've been pleasantly surprised. i totally thought this was gonna be some big moneygrab, but so far it's been good! i'm gonna give it another episode or two to flesh out the characters more before i consider whether or not to drop it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh yeah, before i forget: i'm probably going to end up being wrong, but i want it on the record that i don't trust quentin. he knows waaay too much to be innocent in all this, and keeps bringing up things he shouldn't know at really convenient times. he's got a bone to pick with the world because of his sister and i don't foresee him letting things go so easily.
    basically im just :excalibur: every time he's on screen.

also: i wonder if harris' clones can clone too? i've already started calling him mister starfish.

3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i'm gonna be a bit early but
    stop fucking photocopying your butt, you fucking idiot!
    hiro's powers are killing him and you're just making more work for him by getting wasted, photocopying your butt and jumping off the roof!
    tadashi should be banned from sake, frankly, lol
    (and i have no idea why i just had to say that but i did)

• Like x 1
  4. unknownanonymous

and he did it 47 fucking times!
    dude... dude...
    well, it was 'cause he hated his job and he wasn't actually aware it was 47 times but... whoa... dude... dude...

5. unknownanonymous

yay queer representation!
    also ever since claire went to college, i had suspected some sort of queer girl thing would happen there. i dunno if that was 'cause i've got my slash goggles hella on or 'cause i was reading the subtext correctly but yeah... first queer representation i think i've seen on the original heroes.

and on a vaguely related note, i ship matt/mohinder as a result of when in season 2 (and i think part of 3), they were raising molly together. (where even is molly, at this point in the timeline? she disappeared from the story somewhere in season 3 and i'm very confused about that.)

• Like x 2
  6. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

good luck with this folks!

I bailed on Heroes sometime during the third season when they kept trying to make Nathan this huge asshole who was willing to do ethnic cleansing type stuff when canon originally said that he had served in freaking Bosnia. (I love Adrian Pasdar sfm, Jim Profit is my favourite fictional character of all time and so on). Nathan was morally grey but not lawful evil. I basically couldn't deal with the fact that they did heel-face and face-heel turns so often that everyone had morality whiplash. Sylar in particular too.

I turned it on, saw that they're STILL trying to reprise God Loves Man Kills and that someone thinks Mohinder's a terrorist now and turned it off. I just can't even. There is not enough can in Can Town.

• Like x 1
  7. unknownanonymous

@cryptoThelematrix i missed that nathan had served in bosnia. well, either that or i didn't realize the significance of it. i don't really know that much about bosnia, probably 'cause i'm pretty young (19 years old) and thus wasn't really able to understand the situation while it was going on.
    though it turned out that nathan and noah weren't really onboard with the ethnic cleansing stuff - danko basically pushed them into it - and they put effort into stopping that stuff around the end of the season. like, nathan was ambitious, had an idea, all that but the cleansing wasn't his idea. so yeah... figured i'd point that out.

and yes, morality whiplash!
    there is quite a bit of that, for sure. and sometimes i'm not sure if the characters are doing a turn or deceiving other folks about their allegiances and moral status and all of that. though i generally make pretty good guesses - like, it's always clear that noah, for example, is on claire's side, so... that helps.
    though, for me, that is part of what makes heroes interesting. the ambiguities, the mysteries, how a lot of characters step into different moral areas... yeah...

well, to be fair, they think all the evos are terrorists so...

8. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

@unknownanonymous Fair point. But I really wish they would have done something more interesting than evos/mutants/inhumans vs muggles...The X-Men have been doing that since the 1970s...

I was so much more interested in the conspiracy stuff!

• Like x 1
  9. unknownanonymous

@cryptoThelematrix yeah, the x-men have, though i don't think i've watched or read much x-men so the evos vs. muggles thing hasn't really lost its shine for me yet, basically. so yeah, i'd say that my inexperience and age and whatnot shows here.

yes, the conspiracy stuff!
    it's really cool. i love this trying to figure out what's going on, speculating on it as i watch. it gets me very engaged in the show, thinking about it a lot.

10. unknownanonymous

my feeeeeels!
    that was such a good ending!
    i really like how when claire revealed her powers to the world, it paralleled what she did in season 1, with her friend. (though considering heroes reborn, well, her dad was right about the consquences of that. so i guess it's bittersweet, really, now that we know what happens next. june 13th.)
    and sylar's a good guy now! a hero! and alive!
    (i mean, with his powers, the alive part would've been kinda necessary but since he's a former villain, i figured that they might kill or fridge him or whatever when he stopped being villainous.)
    actual (presumably permanent) redemption of him happened!
    (considering the name of the volume, that shouldn't be surprising, but as cryptoThelematrix said, his moral identity has went flippy-floppy all over the place in previous seasons, so...)
    he could appear in heroes reborn!
    peter and sylar sharing their own empty world together for five years/half-a-day, trying to get out and ending up understanding each other better!
    and hiro and ando teleported everyone away! and hiro saw charlie again, though much more older!
    just yeah... the narrative really feels like it got finished up, though with some room for continuation and stuff.

and now i've watched the entire original heroes, i really doubt that claire actually died on june 13th, and am surprised noah bennet accepted it so uncritically when he saw the video and when molly told him. like, her entire power is Not Dying and unless something happened on june 13th to cancel that out, well, she just can't be dead.

• Like x 1
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i was hoping for more sylar too, but unfortunately zachary quinto has said he doesn't want to work on reborn :(.

12. unknownanonymous

@Deresto oh, i didn't know that. maybe he'll change his mind, if heroes reborn goes on for more seasons.
    well, i guess there's always heroes fanfic to fill that need. still, it is weird, having such a powerful character, like, just... not there. he could probably do quite a bit about the situation.

and an interesting thing about sylar is, well, since i'd seen the star trek 2009 movies before heroes, i always saw spock a bit when watching him. kept expecting him to have pointed ears.
    also, the guy christopher eccelestion played, claude raines, 'cause i'd watched doctor who prior to heroes, well, the ninth doctor... i saw nine in him a lot.

• Like x 1
  13. unknownanonymous

i'm really curious about what's going on with malina.
    and i have a feeling that tommy clarke has something to do with the petrelli's- peter's son, maybe - 'cause his real name is apparently nathan. that can't be a coincidence.
    i hope noah, quentin and taylor are alright.
    and i still think claire has got to be alive. like, i'll only believe she's dead if i see what the heck happened to her power, which prevents her from dying.

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

haha yeah me and my family actually had the opposite problem, we kept thinking of sylar when we were supposed to see spock. it was a bit jarring to see him as a good guy, because i believe at the time quinto was most famous for his roles as a villain in heroes and american horror story. i've only ever seen ahs: freak show though so i'm not sure.

i sure hope so!

not gonna check out the most recent episode of reborn spoilers til i watch it.

• Like x 1
  15. unknownanonymous

hiro's back!
    and miko's dead. i didn't expect her time on the show to be so short. don't think i had enough time to actually get attached to her, so it didn't hit me that hard. just, "this is happening already?"
    i wonder if noah and hiro can do any good on june 13th, considering that hiro was pretty firm about not stepping on any butterflies. like, come on, hiro, in this situation, some butterflies might need to be stepped on.
    also, they better not get killed back then, back there, in the june 13th explosion. that'd make the trip worse than useless, i reckon.
    and everyone's still convinced claire's dead. why do they think that?
    i don't get it. her entire power is Not Dying!

• Like x 1
  16. unknownanonymous

hiro's "don't step on any butterflies" policy worked out surprisingly well. nothing really changed that significantly, but hiro and noah did learn some new things, so... they gained something from going back there, at least.
    also, man, mohinder looks so much older. i dunno precisely why he in particular does, i think it's something about the shape of his face. also, shipper squee moment when he called matt parkman!
    and tommy (aka nathan) and malina are claire's kids, taken to the past. so i was wrong about tommy being peter's kid. i guess claire lost her power to regenerate because of either childbirth or pheobe's eclipse thingy. not entirely sure which. i like how angela and noah named each of them after people important to them.
    also, i'm very surprised that dennis wasn't actually an evo.

17. unknownanonymous

oh oh i forgot to mention something!
    it's hella cool that noah saw himself back in time. and probably why past!noah went to the haitian to have his memory wiped, actually. he didn't wanna keep any info that he learned before its proper time and mess up the future.
    i so totally want a noah-to-noah conversation. that'd be awesome!

also, another thing i forgot to mention, i suppose claire and gretchen didn't stay together, considering that, well, she got pregnant by someone. i mean, there are ways claire/gretchen and claire being pregnant could both be happening but i don't really see heroes: reborn doing that.

• Like x 1
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i skipped a few episodes because my family watches it at weird times, so i watched the last three after missing i think... two episodes before those? idk. all i know is i just glanced at the tv at the end of the latest episode and i knEW QUENTIN WAS A DIRTY LIAR AND A TRAITOR I KNEW IT! >:(. whatever, it's probably because of his sister, but i'd bet anything he's just a fall guy for later and thinks he's helping the world.

• Like x 1
  19. unknownanonymous

ooooh, tommy took claire's power! that's why she's dead!
    i love that the first thing the two noah's said to each other was like, "why the hell are you here?"
    and man, matt parkman was really eerie, as the director. (and in lulzy news, hearing "the director" like that made me think of dr. leonard church from red vs. blue, who is also called "the director." and a bad guy. which was weird.) i didn't expect him to act or sound like that. and the thing he did with the room and whatnot really reminded me of his father. maybe if he could recognize the similarity, he could snap out of it and join the good guys. 'cause i don't think matt would wanna be like his father.
    and miko is alive! really far in the future too! whoa...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice