hey y'all

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by garden, Feb 23, 2015.

1. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I realized I haven't yet posted an intro thread, so here goes;

I am Garden, or at least that's my chosen pseudonym for this forum. I am 18, pansexual and some flavor of genderqueer. Right now I'm going with "probably genderfluid" and they/them pronouns. I am also Texan, and unironically, unapologetically use "y'all," as you may have noticed.

Main hobbies: writing, reading, internet, videogames. Minor hobbies: drawing, programming.

• Like x 2
  2. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Y'all is an excellent word.
    Sometimes I worry that by using y'all, i am appropriating southern culture, and then I take a step back from tumblr for a few hours.

Do you have a favorite videogame? I am not much of a gamer, but one time I encouraged my roommate to kill a chicken in Skyrim and she got arrested. So that was fun.

3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Pffff, yes, that sounds like Tumblr being overzealous to me. As one who has lived in Texas for all of their life, I would say that y'all should spread! Spread, I say!

Favorite videogame is a tough one. I am definitely a big fan of Minecraft, Team Fortress 2, and the Portal games (especially Portal 2.) But I also quite love strategy games; a few of my favorites there are Civilization V, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (which, if I had to pick a favorite strategy game, might be my favorite), and the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Y'all is an incredibly useful word. As someone from SC, I advocate everyone using it. I also advocate a lot of other southernisms, specifically the really descriptive idiomatic ones.

If you were to rec a strategy game to someone just getting into them and who tends to get frustrated if a learning curve is too steep, which one would you pick? Because they all look really fun, but I definitely have a tendency to go off in a huff if I feel like the game is throwing me into the deep end too quickly.

5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@sirsparklepants
    Hmmm. This question is kind of difficult for me to answer, as I have been playing strategy games since I was very young, but based on my personal experience, I think Civilization V in itself (without the Gods and Kings or Brave New World expansions) doesn't have too steep of a learning curve. It simplifies a lot of the elements of the Civilization series, and I believe there is in-game advice for newcomers. At the very least, it strikes me as being one of the simplest Civilization games (certainly simpler than Alpha Centauri, which is a Civ game without the Civ name), and the Civ series is what I am most familiar with.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I think a friend of mine actually owns that one (without expansions), so I'll try it! Thanks :)

7. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I always feel like the odd one out because I've y'all'd intensely since I was a tiny, but I'm... from the pacific northwest...

8. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I'm from New England and I say y'all.

9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

It is spreading.

Or... has already spread.

10. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

It's taking over, aaaahhh!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice