Hi

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by Marimo, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Marimo

Marimo Member

Hey everyone, I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing but thought I'd introduce myself anyway.

I'm 20 years old, live in New Zealand and will be starting my third year of a degree in medical laboratory science in February. I have been through a number of the introduction threads and still can't think of anything else decent to put here so that probably says a lot about me.

I'm here thanks to Bel Capricorn so if you can blame them if I turn out to be a horrible person.

• Like x 5
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Hello! Small round floaty friend.

3. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Hello! Nice to meet you!

Oooooh, medical laboratory science sounds like an absolutely fascinating field of study.

I hope you have an excellent time on the forums. ^_^

4. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Hello and welcome!

5. baskerville

baskerville Well-Known Member

hello!! welcome to kintsugi! i'm sure you'll be just fine ^^

6. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Hello! I'm from Australia so we're neighbours =D

7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Your average picture is cute! It looks handmade?

8. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

hello bonjour!! welcome to kintsugi :)

9. Marimo

Marimo Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Thank you. I did make it and am rather proud of it since my modelling skills generally result in something warped and unrecognisable rather than cute

• Like x 1
  10. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

!!!!!!!welcome!!!! i hope you like it here!!!

11. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Hey, welcome! :D Always good to see Nick's friends here.

What does medical laboratory science entail, exactly?

12. Marimo

Marimo Member

It's to do diagnostic testing for hospitals/doctors so like running blood samples and stuff. We learn how to run and calibrate the machines, manual tests that are to be used when the machines break, how to make differential diagnoses and also visually asses samples. There's a few disciplines which are part of it so there's haemotology and transfusion science (blood stuff), chemical pathology (things like blood sugar, hormone levels etc etc), microbiology (to check for bacterial/viral infections) and molecular diagnostic pathology (testing for genetic diseases). I think it's pretty neat since it means that I can help people in a medical setting without having to actually interact with them.

• Like x 4
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh damn, that DOES sound super neat! I suck at science-y stuff but I find it super fascinating. :0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice