Ho Ho Ho-No its the Holidays

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by Sol, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

The Christmas Shoes is by far my least favorite. The hate I have for that song is immense. It cannot be calculated just how much I hate it. I just hate it. So fucking much.

2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I worked at a cinema ten years back and one time the between-movies music in one screen apparently got stuck on White Christmas so EVERY TIME we went in to clean up it was playing that. I've come to hate that song.

On the other hand, Fairytale of New York is the only time I get to hear a band I like on mainstream radio.

• Witnessed x 1
  3. shmeed

shmeed plant me

CHRISTMAS SHOES IS SO FUCKING BAD

4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Fairytale of New York is objectively the best Christmas song because I get to sing the words "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot," and someone else gets to call me "an old slut on junk".

• Agree x 2
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

A tangential rant; a couple years ago there was a big to-do about how they should change the lyrics to take out "faggot" but nobody seems to have objected to "slut". Nice. Not that I'm particularly in favour of taking out either but consistency would be nice.

• Agree x 1
  6. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

my sister flew in last night, officially kicking off Family Holiday Times, and i'm already exhausted from all the human contact. i have two big family parties of 25+ people each to attend this weekend and i'm going to be in the car for 6 hours for one of them. plus we're really busy at work.

i'm going to need to sleep for a week after the holidays are over.

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I don't want to be alone on Christmas but I don't want to spend the day at my parents' home because it always ends up with us snapping at each other and I fucking HATE my mother's dogs.

• Witnessed x 1
  8. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

I am visiting family, I expect a tense holiday. Their cat is super cool and the region I am visiting is super pretty. I am bringing distractions with me. Maybe I'll be lucky.

• Witnessed x 1
  9. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

Things have been going mostly okay over here at chez my parents, but my mom is on one of her Weird Food Things. She keeps trying to get me to eat yogurt for all my meals, because she thinks that it's the only healthy food. But I don't really like yogurt, and I've also been noticing that dairy upsets my stomach. So that's been weird.

(it's not at full ED-triggering levels yet, but still kind of not-great. I could probably talk to my mom about how the way she talks about food upsets me, but I am not really good at talking to my parents about, like, anything.)

ETA: relatedly, Christmas Dinner has become a bit of a thing. My mom and grandmother are kind of passive aggressively arguing about the division of responsibility for the meal (and also about Swedish meatballs for some reason?), and it's kind of looking like we're gonna have meatballs and fruit salad, which is...not ideal, especially because I don't really eat meat and my grandmother doesn't eat fruit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  10. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

@latitans Can you offer something like making a salad-salad?

11. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

We ended up having spaghetti and meatballs, and I made some brussels sprouts, which was good. The fruit salad thing was more of a, like...passive aggressive logger heads issue? Like, each was going "Well you dont have to make dinner if you don't want to" "well I can make dinner I guess if you don't want to, I just thought you wanted to" back and forth until it seemed like the only thing that was definitely going to get made was a fruit salad. (Which actually didn't get made, because my dad, who was not privy to this conversation, ate all the bananas and apples this morning.)

This is not high-stakes at all, just sort of a weird and exasperating thing that was happening to me that I wanted to tell the internet about.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice