Homestuck-Style Cross-Fandom Shipping Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by autopsyblue, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Ok so Homestuck is great in and of itself and I have a million and one ships for it in all quadrants but what I really love to do is quadrant ship in other fandoms. So this is the thread for that.

• Like x 8
  2. Fandom: Free! Iwatobi Swim Club
    • A lot of people see Rin & Haru as romantic but personally I think of them as a pale/pitch vacillation.
    • I drew a chart for them once lol but I can't remember them now.
    Fandom: Harry Potter
    • Harry <3< Draco is practically canon.
    • I'm always really amused by the thought that Snape and Harry have inappropriate pitch feelings and Dumbledore intentionally steps in between them, making them Harry c3< Dumbledore c3< Snape.
    • Harry and Cedric probably had some weird pale flirting going on hahaha that's painful

• Like x 9
    • Agree x 1
  3. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Oh hell yes.

I'm glad I didn't get into Dragon Age until after Homestuck happened to me, because I already had a word for the 'platonically practically married' of Hawke and Varric's relationship. It also was a great help in conceptualizing, say, Frodo and Sam's relationship without getting stuck in the weird mire of "they really super care about each other so they MUST want to fuck, amirite?" As much as I enjoy a good red romance, the tendencies of fandoms trying to fit absolutely every close relationship into that framework gets tiresome and weird.

I also freaking love the concept of kismesissitude (or... however that damn word is spelled). Having a way to conceptualize fighty, rivalry-filled relationships with sexual tension without turning them into squishy messes of hearts and flowers and feeeeelings was so freeing.

• Like x 13
  4. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I have told this story before and I will tell it again, but ages before Homestuck even was a thing, I shipped Naruto/Sakura and Naruto/Sasuke in addition to Naruto/Hinata, and I knew I shipped those differently than how I shipped NaruHina but all the fanfic I got my hands on was standard flushed romance.
    Homestuck helped me realize that what I was shipping was actually:
    • Naruto <3 Hinata
    • Naruto <> Sakura
    • Naruto <3< Sasuke
    and suddenly everything made sense.

• Like x 11
    • Agree x 1
  5. I just say pitch, the word is so hard to spell.

@Mercury Yeah. I really love the idea of an ashen relationship just kind of presenting itself to me through HP cause look we do this it can be a thing for us too! And it's so great when you find one explanation that clicks for a relationship you like, even if that relationship is inherently full of negativity. I think the best thing about the hate quadrants is that they recognize that you can hate someone, and I mean really hate someone, and still have a relationship with them that's respectful and good for both of you. Most of the time when we have negative emotions towards someone we're told to avoid them or that they're going to turn abusive, but sometimes you can't get away from them. It feels validating to be able to say yes, I hate this person, but no, they're not going to damage me and I don't need to damage them. And if we can't handle that, someone else will step in and help us.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    • Like x 5
    • Agree x 1
  6. @whimsicalobservant It's been years since I did any Naruto but hells yeah. Though I think I probably would have gone pale for Sasuke and Naruto, and I always felt Sakura and Naruto's relationship was too one-sided to be much of anything. But I also didn't get past like the first episode of Shippuden so I don't know how reliable that makes my perception.

7. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

@autopsyblue I really like the Harry c3< Dumbledore c3< Snape idea. It makes sense, and it's also messy and fucked up because Snape has no business being in spades with a child and some of that has got to be displaced black feelings for James, and then Dumbledore is kind of a disaster in his own right but Snape Owes Him... it's so good.

• Like x 10
    • Agree x 1
  8. *cackles* YES YES WELCOME ahhh it feels so good to convert people to my ships.

• Like x 1
  9. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I think @KarrinBlue is the other resident Drowtales person, so: Chiri<>Shan all the way (pity that the comic seems to be pushing <3 lately :T)

• Like x 1
  10. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah they're definitely diamonds. Speaking of which - Chiri <3< Kiel, right?

• Like x 2
  11. Wiwaxia

Yesssssss.
    I could see Chrys <3< Ariel, too.

• Like x 1
  12. KarrinBlue

Ooh, nice. Also, Kiel<>Naal, I think. Though Kiel may have moved on to <>Chrys and not have admitted it yet.

• Like x 1
  13. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

*crashes into thread with confetti everywhere* hello yes this is my jam! Seriously, I can't consume media anymore without quadrant shipping characters, and it might be a Problem but it's a problem I'm glad to have.

For example: discussing the permutations and quadrant vacillation in Parker/Hardison/Eliot from Leverage is one of my sister and I's favorite pastimes.

• Like x 9
  14. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i don't have any particular ones to bring in from my fandoms right now. just, well, that looking at the title of this thread, i immediately thought of the weirdmageddon tango rp. so many quadrants there, so many! :D

15. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I'm not sure how many people here are into Persona 4, but... At least Yu <>/<3 Yosuke vacillation is damn near canon, because holy shit those kids just adore each other, and sometimes it's IS THIS GAY? and sometimes it's more "Bro, you are my rock and I will TAKE CARE OF YOU TOO". I can also see one-sided Adachi <3< Yu, considering Yu is trying so hard to befriend the man but at the same time he's just holding onto this petty hatred for him specifically, for daring to actually... Be a decent person and get along with his relatives. Wow, Adachi, you're an adult.

Actually, I think you can make the idea that any Persona protag with Social Links can count as just giant pale tramps in a sense. Just running around, spreading feelingjams and hugs to anyone who so much as looks at them twice. Disgusting. /jk

Also, Mami <3< Homura. That's... That's some pitch-ass shit there. The story of PMMM might be about the length's Homura's love will go to save Madoka, but the true end is Mami and Homura getting hate-married.

• Like x 7
  16. KarrinBlue

I'm pretty sure Kyouko and Homura are in the bros quadrant.

• Like x 2
  17. Wiwaxia

Honestly, one of the things I really appreciate about Sayaka/Kyouko is that they work pretty much equally well in any quadrant.

#well, homura's 'i'm gonna whack you in the back of the neck with my shield until you stop fighting' approach to auspisticism is a little dodgy #but that's hardly their fault

• Like x 9
  18. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I'm rereading Detective Conan/Case Closed atm, and
    Conan <> Ai (srsly tho those two don't work as matesprits, and it neatly clears up the fucking triangle)
    Conan seems to have a friendly Kismesistude with Kaito Kid, but Kaito Kid ollies outy before it can come to actual blows

Of Stand Still Stand Silent, Lalli and Emil are such moirails, and the commenters who have read Homestuck agree (everone else ships them the classic heart way, and. why. why do you limit yourself.)
    And I'm having a hunch that Lalli might develop a spade for Reynir.
    And while we're at it, Sigrun <> Mikkel.

I heard Drowtales mentioned above, and I can't unsee Quain'tana c3< Zala'ess c3< Sarv'swati, with Zala'ess disposing of her sister because her sister is playing the Kismesis game wrong and she wants that quadrant for herself.
    (And Snadhya'rune needs a fucking moirail)

Regarding Hunter X Hunter, Gon <>/<3 Killua, I could see that relationship going either way, or both at the same time.

Regarding Girl Genius, Agatha <> Zeetha to hell and back, as well as Gil/Agatha/Tarvek in a constantly vacilliating all-quadrant clusterfuck.

Regarding Gunnerkrigg Court, Annie <> Ysengrin. Bury me with this ship.

Hm, what else have I read and remember enough of to remember which pairings seemed interesting just not in the way classic shipping fic played it?

Good Omens. Crowley <> Aziraphale.

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 1
  19. KarrinBlue

I feel obligated to post this picture. A while ago I found the pairings and names, it's from the Madoka game I think. I forget under which context you can find this stuff out, though. Ah well. It's basically phrases for every possible pair of the main five.

madoka shipping chart.png

OK, apparently these are the descriptions of character relationships, if those relationships are maxed out. Seems Mami literally asks Madoka on a date in that case.

ETA: Here is the scene you get if you max out Homura and Kyouko's relationship, and it is very very pale.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    • Like x 7
  20. KarrinBlue

Oh also - I'm super glad for Homestuck shipping because it finally let me sort out what I felt about Teen Titans. And that is: Raven<>Robin. They always were close, and clearly trusted each other a lot, but never in a romantic way, and finally I have a word for what that is!

• Like x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice