How do I argue with my health insurance? (fairly urgent)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by LumiLapin, May 8, 2020.

1. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

So I got a root canal bc I'm a dumbass and barely brushed my teeth for a year. I had an appointment at my dentist office, who then sent the info to the insurance to get me a referral to a place that could do the root canal. They then gave me like a...premptive invoice, which said that the crown (which needs to happen so the tooth won't disintegrate after the root canal) would be like..nearly 3k w/o any insurance assistance (1181 for the crown, 1199 for "crown lengthening", 302 for "core buildup, including any pins". This is...way too much, I do not value my tooth at 3k ut I would still rather keep it. When I had the root canal, the dentist agreed that this seemed like a lot and said his practice does crowns for 800. I am unsure if this invoice/cost thing came from my normal dentist or the insurance. Is the outlined cost "too much" for a crown, and if it is how can I find a way to have it done at a more reasonable price?

EDIT: Ok apparently crowns for molars aren't covered under the insurance, so I guess I have to argue with my dentist? Please if anyone knowns what I should do tell me

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

wtf at insurance not covering it. that sucks.

Okay, one thing to do would be tell them that insurance will not cover it. That will, some (many) places, immediately trigger Magic Accounting. Then, you can ask about payment plans. Then, if the dentist that did the root canal would be willing to give you an estimate and stick by it and it really is less than a third of the damn price, go with that dentist for the crown.

• Like x 1
  3. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Thank you. For some reason the insurance person still said they need to *register* the procedure w the insurance, even if it isn't covered. I don't even know why. I guess its cool if your molars dissolve in your mouth, that's fine

4. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

It could count towards your deductible or out-of-pocket maximum, maybe? I'd ask about it. But even if they have to tell your insurance, your dentist might be able to cut you a deal based on you paying anyway. I know when I got a root canal I got a discount for the way I paid, and they were able to set up other things, too, for people in different situations. Definitely talk to the dentist more about it.

• Like x 1
  5. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Its Medical/Covered California, so I don't think there really is a deductable situation? Like from everything I've seen its all either "covered" or "not covered" but I'm dumb and bad at finding information so I don't really know...

6. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I think I remember reading something about how you can request to hear about why they decided it was not necessary and the credentials of the person who turned it down, and usually they then immediately reverse it because they don't want to admit that they got unqualified people to make the decisions?

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

That. that sounds scary ;;;;; I might...be able to get my gfs mom to help me be Confrontational but I am. And I know this is a whiny cop out. Genuinely unsure if I am capable of that level of Confrontation.

• Witnessed x 1
  8. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

if you can't, someone who knows things could help make a script? i find having a script and practising makes confrontations a bit easier to handle. talking to your dentist should be your first port of call i think. so the plan is:
    1. talk to dentist. see if they can do Magic Accounting. if not, proceed to:
    2. call insurance and ask for the credentials of the person who deemed it unnecessary.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  9. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Ok so how is this for a text to the place that did the root canal (they apparently mostly do text, at least rn. I could also leave it as a voicemail if ppl think that's a better idea

Hi! I recently had a root canal procedure at this office (include name probably?) and I was wondering if you could give me a quote what it would cost to get a molar crown (installed? is that the right word?)? My insurance does not cover the procedure, and my (regular? general?) dentist has quoted me at $2682 for the crown, "crown lengthening", and "core buildup". Any information you could give me about what these would cost at your practice and whether all of these are necessary would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

• Like x 3
  10. An Actual Bird

* include name definitely
    * installed sounds right???
    * I think "regular dentist" sounds right

good luck!! if they mostly do text I think you should be fine to send it like that. they'll probably be grateful.

11. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Hey quick question does anyone know *why* the insurance doesn't cover, quote from their handbook, "Laboratory crowns on back teeth that do not support and existing or treatment planned denture"
    also, wtf does that mean. Am I an idiot or did they word poorly or both.

12. An Actual Bird

it's a very weird sentence yeah

as for why they dont cover it, why the fuck does america do anything

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice