how is career formed how acey get jorb

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Acey, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So here’s the situation in bullet points.
    • I have aspirations of one day working as a screenwriter. However, I have to figure out the format first, and obviously write sample scripts and such, and in the meantime I kinda need a source of income.
    • I’m currently on disability, but it’s not enough to live independently off of, particularly in my state (California).
    • I have learned the hard way that I really cannot do customer service work. I also would struggle with anything requiring a lot of physical work due to my chronic pain issues.
    • While I’m not currently looking for a career in screenwriting, due to point number one, I am looking for a job where the fact that I can write (and edit) pretty well is something they’re looking for, because that’s honestly one of my only marketable skills.
    • The problems here are:
      • I do not have a college degree.
      • I also have no relevant employment history.
      • I can’t find any writing jobs in my googling that I would qualify for under those criteria that don’t also seem to require a lot of knowledge of a topic I know fuckall about. Everything I can find is for like...blogs about very specific topics I know NOTHING about.
    Basically, what I’m asking is:
    • What the fuck do I do in general?
    • What search parameters would one use to find a writing/editing job that I’d be able to qualify for AND would actually be able to do well?
    • Do y’all have any advice on resumes/job hunting in general?
    • Do any of you know how to figure out a sort of...self-imposed daily structure? I struggle to force myself to get shit done without an imposed structure in my day, which is a big part of why I hate being unemployed. I know I need to build up a portfolio, but I have difficulty forcing myself to get anything done there, and I don’t know what to do.
    Thanks in advance. <3

2. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

So I recently was pointed back to my local disability jobs office, and I looked into if there was something similar in Cali and lo and behold there was.

If your pain problem is documented, and any other issues documented, then you'd most likely qualify not just for career assistance but for job placement assistance and training and stuff. They'd help you find a job to gain experience with, which would lead to more jobs in line with what you want.

• Useful x 2
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This could be very useful, thank you! I’ll have a look with my ILS lady asap c:

4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Offering writing/editing services on Fiverr is probably a good thing to do for experience.

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice