How to Judge Between Depression and Environment?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Charlie, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Right, so right now I have a very hard time getting myself motivated. I still find myself sleeping a lot. I have a hard time doing things that need to be done. I have a hard time taking showers, cleaning certain things, etc.

I guess, 1, I shouldn't expect medication to change this aspect of myself. Or should I? I don't know what the realistic expectations of medication are. My medication has made me less anxious and less suicidal. Those are good things. Perhaps that is all I should expect of it? Or should I expect more?

I'm wondering if this is my environment or my depression at any rate. I don't get along with my family. When I leave my room there are arguments. When I clean things there are arguments. If I ask for a ride there are arguments, etc. But I can't bring myself to do things that don't involve those tasks necessarily either, like I struggle with math work. I don't know.

How do you judge between these things? What can you do to examine whether... your medication is being effective, whether you could use something else, or whether it is acting correctly in the parameters it's been given? I might not have used the right words, but I hope what I'm asking is clear, I guess.

2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

I remember reading somewhere that the appropriate expectation of medication is "no suicidality, very little symptoms in general if any at all"

also you probably need to get out of that environment, it sounds like it's a major contributing factor

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

It depends on how the meds work for you. When I was on lexipro I only felt a little bit less symptomatic. I'm on Prozac now and when I take it I feel more motivated and less suicidal. But environment also plays a big part. Even if you have the best possible meds for your needs you can still be in a shitty environment and that can effect your motivation, productivity, and suicidal thoughts or actions. So I would say if you don't think your meds are doing enough talk to your doctor about switching them and, if possible, definitely try to get out of the stressful environment you are in now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice