i can only sometimes control the rivets

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, Feb 25, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

machine sperg thread!

[​IMG]

if things mechanical are your special interest, post them, fangeek them, make me love them.

do it you nerds <3

2. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yay, machine sperg thread!

I have been watching this video of British steam trains passing at speed repeatedly over the last few weeks. Too often, we see old trains as these cute quaint ambling things, old horses out to pasture, tootling up and down some tiny little tourist railway.

But Britain has open-access railways; anyone who wants to run a train can on the national system, provided they pay access fees and use equipment that's passed safety standards and inspections. While a lot of the other things about the country's railway privatization in the 80s haven't been all that popular, the open-access part has meant that lots of high-speed steam trains get to run regularly all over the country pulling enthusiast trains. And there are enough train nuts to make this a profitable business.

They're limited to 75mph, while some of these used to run faster than that way back, but 75 is fast enough to stretch their legs and show what they're capable of. There's even one new-built locomotive, the Peppercorn A1 "Tornado", which was funded by enthusiast donations to re-create a type of which all previous examples had been lost. It appears a bunch of times in this compilation.

Warning: 45 minutes long!

• Like x 1
  3. jacktrash

i confess i only watched the first few minutes, but it's definitely pretty neat. i've never seen a steam train up close. here on the american great plains we get mainly this:

[​IMG]

diesel, i guess? i've seen up to four engines on one train, and it can take half an hour to pass, which can really suck when you're stuck at a crossing and have to pee. especially if the graffitti on the grain cars is boring. :P

anyway, i love their lonely howl at night, and i love the... i dunno... great-plains-ness of their vast length and long journeys. but the machines themselves never did much for me.

do you like diesel or electric trains? or just/mainly steam?

• Like x 2
  4. Morven

American railroading these days is so homogenized and efficient and businesslike it tends to leave me cold, although the sheer scale is impressive in its own way. They're like giant cargo ships of the land, these days; miles long, tens of thousands of horsepower (each locomotive is 4400 engine hp). But so same-y.

I mostly grew up with diesel trains, actually; steam was something we rarely saw, the conversion to diesel for regular trains happened before I was born and you didn't see nearly as many on enthusiast trains in the 70s and 80s as you do now. Not so many electrics, but they were fascinating. Really all of them are.

• Like x 1
  5. jacktrash

how do you feel about bullet trains? i could get into bullet trains. they give me some of the same excitement feelings as aircraft.

6. Morven

I haven't experienced the Japanese bullet trains, but spending a month in Japan riding every single train I can is on my list of things to do in my life. I think they're awesome; the French TGVs are not quite so awesome but pretty awesome, as are the Eurostars, and I've ridden on those. Nothing in the US comes close to any of them. The US hasn't really been the star of fast running since the 1930s.

7. Morven

And also, the Japanese and Germans are the only peoples on earth who come close to the train-obsession of the British.

• Like x 1
  8. jacktrash

yeah, the us is definitely focused on maximum freight. practical, but not very exciting.

ok you know what makes me bounce a little in my chair? the chunnel. it is mainly about the engineering feat rather than the trains, but holy crap i want to ride that train.

9. Morven

I did once; my partner and I spent a whirlwhind day in Paris via that. It's fascinating. And then when the train gets to France it absolutely flies. It has the "world is frozen" feel when you pass stuff so fast it seems to be unmoving because you're past it and gone before it has a chance.

I am pretty aviation-fascinated as well; I did at one point consider joining the RAF to work on coolplanes. But then the Cold War ended, defense spending was cut back, a lot of the cool stuff got retired, and I became computer-obsessed, so plans changed.

Watching an airshow with Lightnings and Vulcans was still one of the most impressive things I've ever experienced.

10. jacktrash

i wasn't familiar with the vulcan so i just looked it up, and dang cool that's a cool plane but wtf is with that camo job? *headtilt*

i love planes a lot, but it's helicopters that really make me go vroom. especially military helicopters. big ones.

[​IMG]

i just see that silhouette and my heartrate goes up.

11. Morven

The camo Vulcans were after the RAF realized there was no way in hell that they were going to high-altitude bomb the USSR in those things anymore, so they went for low-altitude bombing in them instead. Like treetop-skimming height but flying something the size of a parking lot. And it's pretty much the same European theater camouflage the RAF has been using since about 1940 or so ...

The RAF in general were some of the craziest low-fliers of the modern era, especially in the Blackburn Buccaneer; there were several times in US-UK wargames in which the Americans were severely embarassed by their inability to track the RAF planes on radar, because they were just too damn low and too good at using the terrain to hide. And then they got the Tornado which basically automated that low-flying, letting it skim the ground on full autopilot.

Helicopters are neat but I never got quite as into them, except for the CH-53E "Super Stallion" I got shown around when I was pretty young, the USN flew one in for some reason near where I lived.

12. jacktrash

i just read the wikipedia page on the vulcan series, dang, what a workhorse! now i really wanna see one up close. and i can just imagine the americans: "where'd you go? y'all crash or something?"

i still say that camo is goofy looking tho :D

13. Morven

Only the B-2 Spirit is more wing, less body ...

[​IMG]

and if you see one from this angle, prepare to be utterly deaf because only the Concorde is louder than the Vulcan at full throttle:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  14. Morven

And then there's the Handley-Page Victor, which clearly came from some alien dimension:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  15. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I'm not much into machine stuff these days, but I had SUCH a nerdcrush on the Spitfire when I was in the fourth grade.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  16. Morven

Utterly beautiful. The Spitfire is such perfection of form.

17. jacktrash

ahhh gorgeous <3

18. Morven

[​IMG]
    Proof that pilots are nuttier than myself, I guess ...

19. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

Last year we went to the annex for the air and space museum in DC and the plains they had.
    they had a recreation of a wright brothers one!
    I'm not as fascinated with electrical modern machine stuff because steam stuff is fascinating, through I keep getting distracted by my main sperg (writing/religion) to actually do much research.
    all of these are so COOL
    switching gears (heh) but the moon lander is so COOL
    I saw part of it and it's so cool.

20. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I'm not big on machines in general, but like. really complicated engines and such are so much fun to sketch and i don't get the opportunity to do so often. so if anyone has pictures of really cool things like that i can draw, that would be appreciated.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice