I never made one of these before, so hi!

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by BPD anon, Apr 26, 2015.

1. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Hello, I am BPD anon. I found Vastderp through the Homestuck article on Fanlore, and from there I found Seebs, who I told all my messy BPD problems to. I probably idolize the Seebs group (Studio Whipping Boy?) too much.

I am 19 years old and currently in college studying to become a better writer.

Cool things about me that I brag about to everybody:
    -I have 20k followers on Tumblr
    -I'm a first reader for a professional science fiction magazine

If you want to see something really fucked up, check out this thread about my mom!

I have exactly 2 friends, both of whom are trans guys named Jake who are into Homestuck and SU.

I have written some Homestuck fanfic! Check it out! I am especially interested in hearing negative criticism so I can know what to avoid next time.

Top five movies:
    1. Heathers
    2. Chirin no Suzu
    3. Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog
    4. Mewtwo Returns
    5. Mewtwo Strikes Back (Pokemon the First Movie)

Top two TV shows:
    1. Moral Orel
    2. Bojack Horseman

Top 21 books in no particular order since it's harder to choose because books are my favorite:
    Blindsight by Peter Watts
    Animorphs book 6 by K. A. Applegate
    Going Postal by Terry Pratchett
    Flatland by Edwin Abbott Abbott
    Epic by Conor Kostick
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
    Vurt by Jeff Noon
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    There’s a Boy in the Girl’s Bathroom by Louis Sachar
    Wool by Hugh Howey
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
    Battle Royale by Koushin Takami
    The World Inside by Robert Silverberg
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
    The Diary of Pelly D by L. J. Adlington
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
    The Running Man by Richard Bachman
    The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation by M. T. Anderson
    Devil's Run by Avi
    Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

I am a sucker for dark stories and dystopias.

I am willing to have a squeeing fangirl conversation about anything on those lists, along with the webcomics Homestuck, Prequel, and Order of the Stick; the short stories I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and The Paper Menagerie; the play Urinetown; and the fanfictions Brainbent, UFUT, and Be the Seadweller Lowblood.

• Like x 5
  2. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Oh, hey! Going Postal is the book that got me reading Terry Pratchett. It's still very much my favourite of the Discworld books.

I've seen you around and I follow your writing blog, but it's nice to officially meet you!

• Like x 1
  3. kmoss

kmoss whoops

1. terry pratchett omg. I just read his "raising steam" and it was excellent. moist is such a fantastic character.
    2. URINETOWN that was my first professional musical that I'd ever gone to. 7 years later, it still gets stuck in my head.

• Like x 1
  4. BPD anon

For me it was The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which I don't even remember the plot of! I checked it out from my middle school library and ended up rereading it a bunch of times before turning it in because it was so good.

Moist checks pretty much every one of my "things I like in a character" boxes. He does both good and bad things, he solves problems by being smart, he has a flair for the dramatic, what's not to love?

I saw it only a few weeks ago, but I've never seen a dystopian play before and I'm in love. Especially that ending.
    How they say "we all went to Urinetown" or something like that instead of "we all died," so the viewer has to take a second and figure it out. It really hits the viewer that way, more than if it were stated bluntly.
    I'm also a fan of how the whole "follow your heart" trope was used. It's one of my least favorite tropes, so it was nice to see it taken down a few pegs. >:)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    • Like x 2
  5. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Oh hey, Prequel and OoTS! nice.

I've seen you around, you seem p cool. :)

6. BPD anon

I used to have Gone by Michael Grant as one of my favorite book series, but looking back, that "necessary therapy" for the autistic kid sounds a hell of a lot like ABA, so that series now creeps me the hell out. A shame, because otherwise it had all the things I like about ASOIAF in a cool YA package.

7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Those late 60s - early 70s short novels by Silverberg are the bomb.

8. BPD anon

There are others? I found The World Inside off a list of dystopian novels and then read it and fell in love with it. Are the others dystopian as well?

9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Silverberg wrote a bunch of these. They're not all "dystopian", but many of them are sociological. Silverberg spent about five years just cranking out these experimental investigations of humans and human society.

Hawksbill Station, A Time of Changes, Downward to Earth, Nightwings, Dying Inside . . . . These created the New Wave. And at the same time, he was writing fantastic short stories at a furious pace.

10. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Hereby asking if you'd like a third friend because you seem awesome.

And oh my God, Battle Royale. I love that book, clunky-as-shit translation aside. (I really want to write a crossover fic with it and Homestuck. Yes, I know one already exists, but that one fills me with irrational amounts of Sperg Rage so I'm going to write my own dammit.)

Also, your LE/Caliborn fic just about killed me laughing.

11. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Say, have you heard of the Vorkosigan Saga? Because I think you might like Miles. (fair warning, I don't know what your limits are on the sexism and lgb sexualities fronts, but the views on the planets Barrayar and Andros (well, on Andros women simply don't exist, so being gay is normal) are a little dated (and Cetaganda is just plain weird), which might be because they're both echo chambers (Barrayar is getting better, courtesy of Cordelia))

Also hey, another person who loves the Mewtwo movies! ::3

12. BPD anon

I've heard of it, but only as "one of those sff series everybody has to read eventually" without any details. Now I'm more interested.

Mewtwo is the greatest character ever created. Maybe I should make a thread about him similar to the Norm the Genie one. He spent his entire life in forced training and when he finally got out, he didn't understand how to be a Pokemon.

Oh, and if you haven't seen the "mewtwo's childhood" short that they cut out of the American release because it was "too sad," you need to watch it. It has so many important connections with the greater story of Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Y'know, Mewtwo Strikes Back has to be one of the few anime where the 4kids dub was VASTLY superior to the sub. Like, I saw the subbed version and I was angry because Mewtwo's complex personality was gone and replaced with a mustache-twirling villain who occasionally asked who he was.

• Like x 1
  13. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@BPD anon mewtwo is awesome! like, i recall when i was in high school and had to do an abstract art project based on an event from my life - i did it based on his life instead, haha. yeah...

• Like x 1
  14. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I got my fingers on a japanese subbed verison of the first movie where the childhood of Mewtwo was included, @IvyLB and I concluded that the whole tears thing made way more sense now.
    I kind of see Mewtwo as a moody teenager. Seriously, the lines he brings... And it makes me want to wrap him in a blanket, give him a mug of hot chocolate and hug him.

Heh. The Vorkosigan Saga is mostly about a guy named Miles Naismith Vorkosigan, who was born crippled in a warrior society, and survives by wit, charisma, and sheer fucking audacity. Space Opera / Political Mystery and the prose is not obtuse at all and it's pretty funny to read. ("Shards of Honour" and "Barrayar" are about his parents, though. And Aral shows so much respect for Cordelia omg this novel was published in 1986 and it's doing the respectful-and-balanced-relationship thing so good we need more novels with relationships like that)

• Like x 1
  15. BPD anon

Not just the tears thing. Here are the things about the movie that get seen in a new light when you see mewtwo's childhood:
    -The tears thing
    -The scientist dude isn't a generic eeeeevil scientist, he's a father who misses his daughter and works with team rocket because they provide him funding to get his daughter back
    -The first clones Mewtwo creates are the evolved forms of the clones he played with as a kid
    -Not only that, but Charizardtwo, Blastoisetwo, and Venusaurtwo have the same markings as Charmandertwo, Squirtletwo, and Bulbasaurtwo whereas the others Mewtwo makes are perfect clones
    -Where do you think Mewtwo got the idea in the end that taking away people's memories of bad events makes everything okay?
    -In the second movie, the lake he goes to is one Mew used to play in. Is he returning to his "remember place" (similar to Amber's remember place)?

• Like x 3
  16. BPD anon

There's a dub of Mewtwo's childhood, you can find it here:

They made it, they just never showed it :(

• Like x 1
  17. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

yes hello someone said my name in direct vicinity to the words 'mewtwo' and 'moody teenager'
    I swear to god I watched mewtwo strikes back approximately ten million times and it SLAYS ME EVERY FUCKING TIME I AM ALWAYS CRYING BY THE END
    the only exception being the japanese version. Like i love the stuff about mewtwo's childhood I love it. But the tear scene at the end, AND the fighting scene are extremely more emotional in the English version and at an absolute of gutpunch levels of painful in the German dub
    Also Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon ever, apart from Celebi because somehow that little dipshit is even worse of a 'stab me in the heart and twist' kinda feel

#feels over fictional superpowered animals 2k15

• Like x 1
  18. Totally David K

Totally David K So totally David K. Yup. David K, definitely me.

My love for Urinetown is eternal. You're officially awesome. First thing I said after watching Urinetown for the first time: "I... I need a hug." @BPD anon ...will you hug me to resolve my political/philosophical crisis as a result of Urinetown

19. Key

Key never make a triangle

I'm a huge Mewtwo fan, too =3 I haven't watched any of it in ages, though. I just remember being madly in love with the story...

• Like x 1
  20. BPD anon

The music for the fight scene is much better in English. IIRC it's actiony fight music in Japanese. I like the sad, detached feel the English song gives. It showcases how hollow it is. The disconnect makes it very emotional imo.

I never liked Celebi. First of all, I don't remember her having much of a personality. Secondly, I think Pokemon 4 was a lot more Ash-focused, and Ash can be pretty boring. Thirdly, possibly my all time least favorite trope is when a character is supposed to be dead but comes back to life. And I know it happened to Ash in Mewtwo Strikes Back, but it feels different to me. That's personal taste for ya :/, maybe it's because the way he came back helped with Mewtwo's character journey.

I liked Pokemon 3, though. As far as moral greyness goes, a little girl who misses her parents and creates a fantasy land so she can be happy that slowly destroys the real world is pretty neat. It's nowhere near as good as the Mewtwo ones, but I love the concept.

It seems the odd Pokemon moves are better to me, because I never did like Pokemon 2000. I can trace a lot of my storytelling style back to complaints I had about that movie. Like, it talks about how one person can make all the difference, but Brock couldn't have made the difference. James couldn't. I couldn't. It had to be special Mr. Ash. And why would you make a prophecy with a clause for everything turning out okay? I much prefer the prophecy in Oedipus Rex because of the character pain involved. And so much of it just seemed arbitrary because of that prophecy. The characters had no agency. And the bad guy hardly got any screentime. And Lugia had one of those death-back-to-life things I hate. And IIRC there was no foreshadowing about the song bringing him back to life. And I don't like how Team Rocket said "let's be good guys for a change" because (again, IIRC) all the other times they acted as good guys, they just did it. Seemed a bit stilted.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice