I said come in, don't stand there!

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by Southe-lands, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

Hey folks. I'm Southe. I argue a lot on tumblr (http://www.southe-lands.tumblr.com - yes I know my forum name doesn't have an "e" in it. Is there a way to fix that?) and write in my spare time, mostly horror sci-fi. About a year back Seebs helped me through a rough patch involving my father and what could arguably be charictarized as abuse, and I started semi-following the Kintsugi tumblr gang, and I just now decided to introduce myself, even though I've been lurking for a while. (Technically my first exposure to that band of weirdos - and I mean that as a compliment! - was Kagerou, and then The God Eaters and Kastor and everything else Jesse wrote, and *then* I decided to reach out to Seebs when I was feeling incredibly shitty.)

Let's see... I'm a cis dude, I say I'm bi but that's because it's easier than explaining pansexuality to straight people (if one more person makes the "So you're attracted to cookware?" joke I cannot be held responsible for my actions.) I'm 27. Graduated a few years back and working full time at a boring white-collar job with great benefits, which is important because I'm... fairly seriously clinically depressed? And dealing witha bunch of social anxiety and ADD symptoms and stuff? And without insurance I would be Very Fucked?

Uh. Also I swear a lot?

I will argue about damn near everything. (Only online. In person I am tall and intimidating and try to be as nice and soft spoken as possible to counteract that.) My only prerequisite is that whoever I'm arguing with be arguing in good faith. Otherwise I'll only keep arguing for as long as it amuses me.

Uh... I like meeting new people when it's not face-to-face! And I won't bite, I promise! So say hi!

• Like x 5
  2. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

3. baskerville

baskerville Well-Known Member

Hi there! I don't have the spoons to read all of this ATM, but for your username change, just say so here!

I hope you enjoy your stay!!

4. Newlyread

Newlyread Killer Queen

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum. Is your writing anywhere online? I'm a huge fan of horror!

• Like x 2
  5. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

6. Southe-lands

Hi! Thank you!
    Awesome, thanks!
    Not currently! I don't feel like any of it is publish worthy yet, but I might post snippets on here at some point!
    Hi! And thank you too! It's the thought that counts!

• Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Same hat! Also, welcome!

8. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I have a theory that tall people are usually quiet and shy and short people are loud and angry, but I have met some outliers

I am myself tall, welcome to kintsugi!

• Like x 3
  9. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

hello new friend!! welcome 2 the party

10. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

11. Southe-lands

Hi! Where the heck are you guys getting these identical copies of my plaid trillby?

(Kidding. I don't actually wear hats.)
    As counter evidence, Bill O'Reily, Donald Trump, and Ann Coulter are all over 6'.
    Hiya! Where's the punch bowl?
    Hey!

• Like x 3
  12. kmoss

kmoss whoops

How dare you use actual science against my carefully* crafted argument.

*i was really tired when i was seventeen and also much more easily frightened by others

• Like x 3
  13. Southe-lands

Also fun height fact! Did you know that on average, across all careers, each extra inch in hight a man has gives him approximately $800 more in annual salary compared to someone an inch shorter than him? It's down to what's called the "Halo Effect", that humans associate attractive physical features with moral goodness. Taller people are *on average* rated as more attractive, which means they're seen to be more moral, which means you want them to work for you and you want to pay them more.

Nobody's done a similar study with women, sadly. I wonder how this and that blind orchestra audition experiment would fit together...

• Like x 3
  14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

so, like that one greek chick who was like "how could i be guilty with tits this perf", and everyone was like "oh holy shit you're right"

....that's marvelous

• Like x 5
  15. Southe-lands

...basically yes. But not quite that powerful? It basically works like "Person X has this quality that I like. This disposes me to be favorable to them, so when I learn more information about them I tend to put it in the best possible light, which increases the effects, and so on.

It also works in reverse, which is part of why we reject even good ideas from sources we don't like and accept uncritically bad ideas from sources we do like. It's also why first impressions are so important. They don't lock in how a person sees you, but they do set the stage on which all future interaction will take place.

(Note that as will all psychological studies, these things were discovered by running tests on a *maximum* of two dozen white, highly educated psychology undergrads. Take them all with a grain of salt.)

• Like x 4
  16. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

DISCOURSE SOON, FELLOW STALKER

(hello welcome)

• Like x 2
  17. Southe-lands

Oh really? When?

(Hello. Hello.)

• Like x 1
  18. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

Ń̷̩̲͓̥͍̟͖͠͝͡ͅO̴̴̢̞͍̠̝̱̖̭͈̤͖͕̕͜W̛͕̖̯͚̪̲̼̪̺͕̹͙͓͘͠͡͡ͅ

• Like x 2
  19. Southe-lands

A nu! Cheeki breeki iv damke!

20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

If it's a representative sample of the people running the tests then by golly that's all we need to test for! /sarcasm

I hope you're enjoying the very accurate welcome featuring multiple people piping in to answer a question and ninjaing each other, it is very much a part of the Kintsugi Experience (tm).

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice