I think spoiler tags do not hide things from bots.

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by swirlingflight, Nov 19, 2015.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I have not 100% confirmed it yet, but:

If you google howdy if it isn't my good friend who trusts me, not in quotes, the second result is a post that I made in the Undertale thread. That post was always hidden behind a spoiler cut, yet it managed to be scanned and put up in Google's results.

This made me very nervous, because I have a thread in Brainbent that I'd rather not be easily found in search results for my username! I tried googling bullshit martyr complex, a phrase I used in one of my posts in Brainbent, and got 0 results. But when I tried googling kintsugijin, a term that Jesse used in the first post of the HAPPY SPAM thread, i got a result with some of that post in it.

Could anybody else do a quick check and see if you can confirm if you can find spoilered content in the google search results?

2. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

I think brain bent and some other subs are unsearchable, but I couldn't tell you exactly where this was talked about

just fyi

3. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I tried googling three phrases (all spoilercut, one from Fine Imported Drama and two from General Chatter) and got nothing.

4. swirlingflight

That's what I remember hearing, too. So that's supposed to be the case. Unfortunately, my tests seem to indicate that it isn't actually working. I just replicated my search results from the original post, and took screenshots of the results:

This is the first page of results for howdy if it isn't my good friend who trusts me

[​IMG]
    The second link in this search is of text behind a spoiler cut.

This is the bottom of the first page of results for kintsugijin site:kintsugi.seebs.net
    [​IMG]
    The bottom link of this search page is the link in Brainbent. I'm not sure why it's not purple.

Please, someone, try to recreate them. Or prove them wrong.

Do you remember how old those phrases were? If they're from the last week or so, they might be too new to be in results. I tried to stick to things at least a month old, so that bots would have had a chance to get them.

*edit slight revisions for clarity.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I was able to turn up search results for brainbent, but not any for terms found in Is This Abuse

• Like x 1
  6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Yeah, I don't see why anything in a spoiler tag wouldn't get indexed. I mean, it still loads right on the page, just because it's initially visually hidden from our human eyes doesn't mean bots can't read it.

• Like x 2
  7. swirlingflight

It probably would. But I was running on whimsical computer is magic ideas, rather than thinking about how it actually works.

So yeah. It seems to me that anything in any of the forums a guest can see, a bot can see. The private ones and the hidden ones should be good. I'm gonna go ping about moving a thread or two.

• Like x 1
  8. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Oh, I didn't think of that. Yes, they were all from within the past week, I think - I just went into the first threads I thought likely to have spoilers in them and then backtracked until I found one.

• Like x 1
  9. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

this is in fact the case, afaik. anyone who wants your thread moved, go ahead and report it to me.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice