I used to watch a lot of forums, but this is my first time posting in one.

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by sirsparklepants, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'm Em, and I'm some form of genderqueer (they pronouns). If there were a gender-neutral term that meant "dudebro, but without the awful racist/sexist/homophobic implications" that's probably what I would describe myself as. I'm also in my early 20s (getting this out of the way as it's probably fairly obvious). I'm seebs-diagnosed-autistic and trying to explore that with my brain doctor, although it's slow going as I'm afraid to even use the word around him. I'm also in the process of being diagnosed bipolar. I work in a salon and spa (and present female in meatspace) and have a LOT of education on hair and skin stuff, so if someone needs advice on that, I'm happy to give it! I'm also in the middle of writing a sort of "makeup for people who have never worn it and need a 101" primer if anyone would be interested in that! I feel like a lot of makeup info on the internet is aimed at people who have a lot of disposable income and quite a bit of basic makeup information already, so this would be... not that.

I've also been in choir for umpteen million years so I am always happy to talk music nerd stuff. I'm kind of embarrassingly into astrology because I feel like it helps me understand myself better. I love to talk to people but I am awful at starting conversations because of social anxiety etc. etc. so I anticipate a lot of lurking unless someone talks to me first or I see a topic that I have a lot to contribute to. I'm the oldest of 7 and I've been described by friends as a human lie detector.

Things I like: hockey (Bruins and Blackhawks), human anatomy, body mod, cheesy 80s fantasy films, baby animals, hack and slash video games (and Katamari), ridiculously high heels, finding clothes I like on sale, deep sea creatures, magical realism, and almost any music. I'm really into roots-revival type music and early-2000s hip-hop right now.

• Like x 1
  2. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Hey, another Em! Great to meet you :)

3. sirsparklepants

Awesome! You are the first other Em I've met.

4. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

Oh hey! Hi! I'm kinda big on the mani/pedicure stuff(no training), but not big on make-up. I'm also bit of a lurker(trying to train myself out of it) as well. I was feeling pretty good today, but my social-anxiety is starting to catch-up to me :c

5. emythos

Nice.
    This is actually my first time participating in a forum too.

6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

"How does makeup work" sounds like something I probably need.

7. emythos

We should have a make up thread. Like advice and recs and tutorials and crap.
    That would be awesome.

8. sirsparklepants

I used to be that person who NEVER wore makeup. Like, maybe for a job interview or meeting a significant other's parents. But now I work in the beauty industry so it's pretty much required that I wear it to work every day! So that post will basically be me condensing everything I've learned in the past year into several posts.

I do not have the manual dexterity for mani/pedi stuff, to my eternal regret. I am also trying to train myself out of lurkerdom, so fistbump of solidarity! I just have to keep telling myself "baby steps".

• Like x 1
  9. Starcrossedsky

That's STILL more than I've ever done makeup, my apathy towards it appears to be a bit more intense than yours. Mostly I just like Things That Are Colored so I have a small hoard of nail polishes and eyeshadows.

10. emythos

I never wore make up, and then I started going on beauty websites junior year of high school. Now I hardly ever stop. It's so much fun. Lipsticks are my favorite thing, but nail polishes and eyeliner have a special place in my heart too. I can't rant on for hours like I can with lipstick though.
    Granted, everything is colored insanely. My favorite lipstick is probably my blue one, even if it is a chore to wear, and my pink eyeliner is just awesome.

11. sirsparklepants

My stepmom is one of those "you are not dressed without makeup, you must style your hair and put on makeup before going to the grocery store or visiting someone in the hospital" people, so it kind of got drilled into me that there were certain occasions where not wearing makeup was basically the equivalent of showing up to a funeral in a bikini.

That would be awesome! I am one of those people who loves to give advice (...also known as "bossy", probably) but never know when it's really wanted, and I love to hear other people's recs.

12. emythos

Ugh, my mom does that. It is Not Fun.
    So, make up thread is a hell yeah?

13. Starcrossedsky

My mom, in contrast, only did makeup for Professional Things, and then to a minimum amount and grudgingly.

(In retrospect I'm pretty sure she's also sperg.)

14. emythos

Weirdly enough, my mom used to be like that, until I hit high school and discovered make up on my own. Then she flipped.

15. sirsparklepants

Yeah, that attitude is probably responsible for why I thought makeup was unfun for so long. But makeup thread is definitely a hell yeah!

My makeup skills tend more towards the "professionally acceptable" end, but I would love to get to be more skilled with colorful/aggressive makeup looks. Brightly colored stuff sounds like a GREAT way to start.

Yeah, that's my mom. I spent most of my teen years with my dad and stepmom, so I guess that's why her attitude stuck more.

16. emythos

My make up tends towards tropical bird levels of colorful, so actually I could use some explanation of the 'professionally acceptable' end. Brightly colored stuff is so wonderful. It's also extremely good for warding off jerkish people.

17. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Aposematism!
    (that's Fancy Science Words(tm) for warning signalling. like poison dart frogs)

18. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

HAIR. Also makeup is fun, yes. I am just, uh, enthusiastic about hair. Mostly about growing mine as long as possible. How does one get braids to not turn to frizz within a couple of hours?

19. sirsparklepants

Oh, awesome! You are motivating me to finish part one of my makeup intro post tonight.

20. emythos

Thanks! I cannot wait to see.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice