i'm a healthy person capable of taking care of himself i swear

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Penumbra, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Penumbra

Penumbra hiding under cloth

so i'm like. really sick. i've had this cold for over a month now and i've thrown up about half of the time it's been here. i've got a doctors appointment on wednesday, but any advice for how to not die? (other than picking nutritious meals. fried sushi and a milkshake does not a healthy dinner make. my poor stomach is probably plotting my demise.)

i also have asthma and a bunch of allergies. my respiratory system is a mess.

2. Theraflu, hot tea, chicken broth, vitamin C, and zinc. Rice or crackers if you're able to keep some food down. Definitely plenty of liquids, though.

• Like x 1
  3. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

If you can get herbal tea that's supposed to be good for respiratory stuff, drink that with honey. At the very least it'll be a nice warm liquid and a placebo effect.

• Like x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Vaporub helps if you can handle it. I hate it with a passion because its an all around sensory nightmare for me and even then i'll admit it helps a lot -_-

• Like x 1
  5. Marimo

Marimo Member

If you can get your hands on a humidifier that can be quite good for coughs. Obvious stuff: make sure you're taking your asthma medication properly, drink lots of fluids, eat plain foods/things less likely to upset your stomach when you can, avoid all the stuff you're allergic to and do lots of sleeping.

Keeping my fingers crossed that when you go to the doctor there will be something that can be done to get rid of your illness quickly

• Like x 1
  6. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

if you're throwing up a lot, any food and hydration you can get in and keep down is good tbh, even if it is milkshakes and fried sushi

i hope your doctor appointment goes well

• Like x 1
  7. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

In terms of getting SOME nutrition when your stomach is trying to kill you, believe it or not, SODA is a good call. Regular soda has sugar and calories, diet soda usually has quite a lot of salt. Salt, sugar and water are the components of home remedies for dehydration (which is a common effect of diahrea and vomit). You can also make a home remedy : to a glass of water (200ml), add 1 coffespoon of salt and a tablespoon of sugar. Coconut water also has the same effect. Drink any of these regularly, every hour or so, to stave off dehydration and have an easier time with your stomach issues overall.

• Like x 1
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Yes, definitely keeping up fluid intake is key. I've used the adding salt/sugar trick and while it's not the greatest tasting thing, it does help. Gatorade/other sports drinks/Pedialyte also work. The BRAT diet is often recommended when you're having issues with vomiting: bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. All of these are generally well-tolerated by a funky stomach, get you calories, and (in the case of bananas) give you important things like potassium that you may be low on it you're vomiting. Potatoes can be good for that as well, but avoid loading them with dairy or other heavy things, because those can exacerbate stomach symptoms. If you can tolerate them, lean proteins and veggies would be good too. Canned soup might be the way to go; just watch out for the fat and sodium content, or eat small amounts at a time.

• Like x 1
  9. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

Bread is usually good for nausea but not white bread, that will make you more likely to vom. Ginger and a mint also tend to help with nausea if you like those things. But yeah, lots of fluids and soft foods will be good.

• Like x 1
  10. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Note about diet soda: it's not a good idea when you're not managing to eat much, because sweet taste cues your body to go release some insulin, and if you're not ingesting any actual sugar then all that does is lower your blood sugar.

• Like x 4
  11. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

Ooooh, I genuinely didn't know that! That's very interesting.

• Like x 1
  12. Penumbra

the point I was trying to make was that the milkshake and fried sushi combination made me throw up. I was already coughing a lot but that didn't sit well. I also am not sure whether I'm developing GERD because anything acidic would also cause me to throw up

13. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

ah, sorry about that misunderstanding. i agree with what other people are saying about good foods for upset stomach

• Like x 1
  14. Penumbra

update for y'all, I went to the doctor today, i have bronchitis again. they prescribed prednisone, a 5-day z-pack, and tessalon perles. so hopefully i'll get healthy

• Like x 3
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Glad you got to see a doctor, sorry about the prednisone :(

ETA: welcome to the puffy face club

• Like x 1
  16. Alaspooralice

Alaspooralice An actual trash fire

I hope you feel better. Sorry about the bronchitis tho, I had that as a kid and it sucked a lot. Many well wishes

• Like x 1
  17. hyperfuck

hyperfuck they/them

i have gerd

hot water/tea with fresh ginger and cinnamon boiled in, with honey and/or lemon if you want

Livesaver Drink, boosts immune system and honey and ginger are really really good for your stomach

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice