[incoherent noises]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by smyxolotl, May 25, 2015.

1. smyxolotl

smyxolotl a person.

Hello there! Nice to meet you all!

Why am I trying to write an introduction post, I ask myself as I smash blindly at the keyboard*, one hand covering my eyes. Why would I do this to myself? It gives me so! much! anxiety! because my social phobia is approximately a billion times worse in writing** and this is not my first language (I live in Sweden***) and I just want to make a good impression! The best impression ever, in fact! So that you will immediately like me forever and ever! Please like meeeeeeeeee, is what I'm trying to say****.

Well now that that part's over with, this is me: 27 years old, planning to become a social worker/family therapist at some point, looks like a girl but is mostly 'eh' about gender (I actually get pretty dysphoric when I'm referred to as a girl or woman, I've realized), occasionally pretty fannish about stuff but at the moment only into rereading all my old Terry Pratchett books and learning to knit. Have two tiny kids and a cat. I have some depression going on right now that I'm taking meds for, so I'm mostly functional, but my thought process gets a bit choppy sometimes. Sorry in advance!

Now I'm going to hide this ipad under a pillow and weep-giggle hysterically for a bit! :D :D :D :D

*well technically it's a touchscreen, but technically I'm probably making most of this up. Or at least I'm pretending so to myself to make this less anxiety-inducing.

**it's my fondest dream that I might one day meet a socially anxious person who, like me, would rather go make small talk with strangers all day long than to post even a single written line on the internet. We are not very common, it seems!

***which is one of the ugliest words I know, I cringe so hard every time I see it.

****I have a whole bunch of Issues re: what other people think and feel about me. Not-diagnosed-as-BDP, but I'm doing an assessment right now! I'm probably going to ask a lot of question about that whole thing at some point.

• Like x 8
  2. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Welcome to Kintsugi! It is nice to meet you too and I hope you have a good time here. I don't think I would have had any idea that English wasn't your first language if you hadn't mentioned it. A+ job at writing words, would read and not suspect a thing again.

• Like x 2
  3. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

Hello! And I know the feeling. It's a lovely day out, and I want to go outside, sit in the park and find a person to talk to and chat about whatever there is. Except I've got too many scenarios in my head about whatever could go wrong. [internal screaming] though alcohol sometimes helps. ;)

Cheers! Love your avatar, do you like medieval art?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

That cohered very well.

5. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

hi there! which pratchett are you rereading now? i just downloaded a few audiobooks to listen to on my bike ride to work.

6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Your English is fantastic and I enjoyed your Terry Pratchett style footnotes. c:

I'm re-reading Going Postal for about the millionth time right now, it's so good.

7. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Hi! I have this problem - anything I post here is usually the result of a minimum of six rewrites and I still have a terrible time hitting the post button. I'm working on it. :/ One day I will make that post to the characters thread...

Also, yes please, talk to me about Terry Pratchett!

• Like x 1
  8. smyxolotl

smyxolotl a person.

Haha oh no someone replied to meeee :D
    you're all so nice, I'm grinning like a Silly Person now :D

But okay!
    1. I'm not into medieval art in the sense that I know anything about it, I'm mostly into art that is presented as Very Serious Art, but when you look at the faces in the picture you feel in your soul that the artist is laughing at you through history. Medieval monks were apparently the masters of this craft, but there is also some traditional Swedish art that has some good examples. (I'm a horrible person who mostly studies history for laughs).

2. Yaaaaaaaay fellow Pratchett fans! I just finished Going Postal and it filled me with the urge to go through all the books where Vetinari is at least a semi-major character! I was completely overcome with squee, mostly not because of him but because of how he interacts with the other characters. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    • Like x 5
  9. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

Nice! I have that very strongly with a lot of art that I like! :D just as horrible, no judgement here. ;)

• Like x 1
  10. smyxolotl

smyxolotl a person.

I'm glad! I'm always afraid that I'm going to offend people who take history very seriously when they talk about, for example, the Etruscans, and all I have to say on the topic is "I love them!! They made pots in the shape of really chubby birds!!!"

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice