[insert generic intro title here]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by NumiTuziNeru, Jun 14, 2015.

1. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

I really have no idea how to start these so...uh....hey?

I'm kind of a lurker for the most part (on tumblr and in general) mostly because chronic shyness hooray, and kind of a nobody anyway. but yeah, saw this forum, thought I'd check it out because y'all seem amazing.
    (though vastderp might know me vaguely as 'that one girl who messaged him privately because she used to be friends with the random guy that tried to hex him or some shit') (that sounded a lot better in my head)

okay for reals; you can call me Numi or Anna, I don't mind which, I'm a 20-year-old animation student in Edinburgh, ace/just-barely-romantic, dealing with PCOS and kind of a nervous wreck who can't express emotion properly. I like art/writing, old children's fantasy literature, fairytales and folklore, weird art films, Gunnerkrigg Court, gothy shit, random dudes talking about nothing on the Internet, stuff and music from the eighties and the Mountain Goats.
    also I write a thing about strange little girls, wild magic and the end of the world, and probably invest way more time/energy in it than I ought to.

I... think that's about it? I don't know how to forum good.

• Like x 4
  2. raydelblau

raydelblau the giant rat who makes all of the rules

3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

howdy, welcome! :)

4. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

5. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Welcome! Semi old-school Goth here (been in the scene since the early 90s), always nice to see more of us.

• Like x 1
  6. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

hello ::D
    chronic shyness, welcome to the club ::D

8. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

hey guys! thanks for the warm welcomes :D

9. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Welcome! Your icon is super cute. :)

10. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Hi! Welcome, from someone who mostly lurks most of the time! You mentioned liking old children's fantasy literature and man, if that isn't the way to summon me, I don't know what is. What authors? How old are we talking? I bet we have favorites in common!

• Like x 1
  11. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

Lissiel: thank you!

alarivana: OH MAN! okay, so most of these are probably only old by my standards and also maybe kind of British-specific, but in rough terms of favourite books/authors:
    Michael Ende - Momo and The Neverending Story
    Joan Aiken - Wolves of Willoughby Chase (more alt history than fantasy, but still great)
    Geraldine McCaughrean - A Pack of Lies and The Stones Are Hatching
    Lynne Reid Banks - The Fairy Rebel
    Norton Juster - The Phantom Tollbooth (I love nonsense fantasy a whole lot)
    Peter S. Beagle - The Last Unicorn (not exactly for children again but I love it so much)

there's probably some I'm forgetting. I also really like Debi Gliori's Strega-Borgia/Pure Dead books and Cathrynne M. Valente's Fairyland books, though those are more recent.

(also; recs always welcome.)

• Like x 1
  12. Just cutting in to say that The Phantom Tollbooth is one of my All Time Favorite books!

Also, from another mostly lurker, welcome!

13. Vierran

Vierran small and sharp

Wow, that's a weirdly non-overlapping set of British children's fantasy. (Translation: I haven't read most of those, even though I spent like a decade reading every children's fantasy book I could get my hands on.) The Phantom Tollbooth is great, though, especially the way it uses language. The Last Unicorn is very good, but somehow didn't quite do what I wanted it to do, but Peter Beagle came to a book club I was part of at a local library in high school, and it was really cool to hear him talk. I really liked the way he thinks about the world, and people in it.

How do you feel about Diana Wynne Jones? I'm pretty much in love with everything she's written, which varies from somewhat old to pretty recent.

Cathrynne M. Valente is also great, and I keep meaning to read more of her stuff. So far, only read Palimpsest, and maybe some excerpts from other things?

• Like x 1
  14. NumiTuziNeru

NumiTuziNeru @#$%?

ahaha, nice. what kind of fantasy books have you read, out of curiosity?

also; omg how did I forget DWJ? I haven't read -everything- she's written but I have loved basically all that I've read so that's gotta count for something.

15. Mystique

Mystique Member

Dude, please talk to me about Gunnerkrigg Court.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice