[Intro/Interests]

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by unknownanonymous, Feb 23, 2015.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i thought about it for a while and decided that my interests would serve as my intro. after all, what i like is more Me than any tumblr identity list would be.

fairly odd parents (fave character: norm the genie)
    xiaolin showdown (fave character: jack spicer; fave pairing: chack)
    doctor who (fave pairing: doctormaster; fave companion: clara; fave doctor: ten)
    slash/femslash ships
    fandom
    sci-fi
    robert j. sawyer
    known space (fave character: nessus; fave species: puppeteers)
    autism and stuff like that
    lgbt+ stuff
    bartimaeus trilogy (fave character: bartimaeus)
    ender's game (fave character: bean)
    nonfiction
    art
    history

and other stuff i haven't listed.

(my interest list might make who I am obvious but I think I'm far enough away from the sjws for that not to matter.)

• Like x 1
  2. bramblepatch

bramblepatch ground/water dualtype

aw, man, I haven't watched Xiaolin Showdown in years, I used to love that show.

3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Bartimaeus Trilogy! Holy shit I barely ever meet anyone who likes it, except for a few people I follow on Tumblr. Bartimaeus is great - he's my favorite character too, by far. I haven't read it in a while, but man those books are great.

4. unknownanonymous

well, if you look on the Ur-Internet Video Site, all the episodes are there. *unsubtle wink-wink*

5. unknownanonymous

and i bet i follow those very few people. heck, we might follow each other on tumblr. XD

and nice. 2 peeps with shared interests so far!

6. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Oh hey, Bartimaeus! Man it's been ages since I read that (and I never did finish the third book).
    Nevertheless, a formative influence.

7. unknownanonymous

if you didn't finish the third book, STAY CLEAR OF THE TUMBLR TAG! spoilers are like air there, seriously!

and why didn't you finish the third book? i think that one was my fave one in the series. barty's past and all that!

8. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I'm not a tumblrite, so no worries there.
    I don't really remember, it was a long time ago, but it may have been the whole "library book came due before I was done reading and I never checked it out again" deal.

9. unknownanonymous

ah, i see. it didn't have to do with whether you liked it or not.

10. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I have never been able to decide if the third book or the first book is my favorite, but the third book is definitely excellent!

@unknownanonymous, have you read the prequel? (The Ring of Solomon, I believe it is titled.)

11. unknownanonymous

yep. i liked it.

that's pretty much in line with my preferences. the second book is my least fave, or at least used to be. just like the fourth harry potter, the goblet of fire.

i've also read the graphic novel of the first book.

12. garden

garden lucid dreamer

The second book, imo, has a bit too much of Nathaniel being uptight/whiny (if I recall correctly, at least) - which is also why I dislike the first section of the fifth Harry Potter book (the whiny aspect, at least - "uptight" is not how I usually think of Harry) - but it did have a fascinating conversation between Kitty and Bartimaeus around the climax of the book.

I have not read the graphic novel, however.

13. unknownanonymous

hmmm... i think that wasn't what i disliked about it, really. it might've been the more political focus of it, i dunno.

and yep, it did. :D

CAPSLOCK!Harry never bothered me that much. like, a lot of awful stuff had happened to him and he was going through puberty. XD also, umbridge-controlled hogwarts sounded like a 1984-type hell.

14. kmoss

kmoss whoops

Bartimaeus was the shit
    I didn't even know there was a graphic novel.
    This is amazing.

Also Bean was also my favorite character in the Ender's series, which I read all the time despite feeling vaguely uneasy about the author's dislike of the gay. Card is just such a compelling and interesting author. It's like if ChikFilA (I don't know how to spell it and I'm too lazy to look it up) made sushi. I would feel bad about it but I would still eat it like every day.

15. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Oh, I definitely agree re: umbridge-controlled hogwarts, it was mainly the stuff set during the summer that annoyed me... but he was indeed going through puberty, which is a trial even for kids who don't have to save the Wizarding World.

16. unknownanonymous

yep. there is. only for the first book, however. the other three? nah.

bean resonates really well with my autismfeels, basically. :D like, feeling like he isn't human, feeling empathy-deficient (particularly in the presence of ender, Empathy Personified), stuff like that...

i've always been sad about card's homophobia. like, it seems like he should be smart enough and kind enough and insightful to escape that trap. but he isn't.

17. unknownanonymous

haha yeah. i think i was too busy thinking, 'man that's a shitty situation' to get fed up with how he reacted to it. though i do wish he'd been smarter when it came to sirius, around the end. (and there's probs a fic with that premise + my fave pairings in existence right now, since well, harry potter fandom. XD)

18. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I've always felt similarly, but I'm pretty/kind of-ish sure I'm not autistic. I was one of the "smart kids" in elementary and middle school, and I've always been bad at feeling deep emotions that aren't anger, so I felt like Bean "got" me.

Especially because he writes all these great books about being on the outside. There's a collection of apocalyptic short stories in his book Folk of the Fringe that talk about being the outsider, and so does Magic Street. Ugh. It hurts me deep.

19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

Ah yes, HP fandom is pretty excellent when it comes to having everything under the sun, fic-wise and pairings-wise. When there are whole fanfic archive websites for even the relatively unpopular pairings, you know you can find something that appeals to you.

(...As opposed to some of my smaller fandoms, which don't exist outside of AO3/ff.net, and might have a grand total of 80 fics.)

20. unknownanonymous

yeah. i don't think bean's necessarily autistic but... the feels are similar, either way. after all, neither of us are genetically engineered dwarf geniuses. XD

that is definitely a theme with him. i really liked the scene in which libo talked to novinha about communities when she felt like she didn't belong to one, and said that what was basically the futuristic equivalent of an internet community (on, like, the ansible) was as real as any in meatspace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice