Intro thread conventions

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by swirlingflight, Feb 3, 2016.

1. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

One thing that bewilders and boggles me is how many new people to the forum list their diagnoses and so forth in their intro posts. I can't tell if they're doing so because they think it's information of interest to others who would read the thread, or if they're doing so as an info dump like a Tumblr sidebar.

The idea that anybody's doing so because they feel like they have to give that information up front... gives me a really uneasy feeling. I'm not sure what to do about that.

• Like x 1
  2. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

I think the sticky that says you don't even need to make an intro post should cover it? If you don't even need to make one that implies the contents of it are even less important - so the implication is "say what you want" and people just want to make their various POV bits known.
    Or I'm giving people too much credit for thinking it through?

• Like x 1
  3. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

The sticky also says

• Like x 1
  4. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

A lot of people come here to discuss their mental illnesses and such so it's not surprising that many people choose to mention them in their intro posts

• Like x 5
  5. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Yeah, that's what I told myself, and what I hope is the case. I just know a few of the recent people did what I think is perfectly sensible, and checked the last dozen or two to get a sense of what people normally do, and imitated that. So I'm worrying about whether any of them included that information because they felt like they should in order to fit in.

6. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Yeah, that's pretty much where I was coming from, at least. I definitely don't consider my mental health and similar to be anything the internet is entitled to know (in fact, the recent attitude that it should be sometimes leads me to say less about it than I would have otherwise, just to avoid giving the impression that I buy into that BS. :x) But since this forum is largely made up of people with--and/or looking for support regarding--brainweird stuff, it seems relevant to why I'm here. And honestly, for me at least, it's nice to be able to mention the mental health issues that take up a lot of my energy and focus on a daily basis, and have it be both not a big deal and not off-topic.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice