jaz's art meanderings

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by chthonicfatigue, Jul 7, 2016.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Thank you! The light was starting to die towards the end of it so I wasn't sure that the colour choices were exactly great.

• Like x 1
  2. chthonicfatigue

Following a very good oil painter on YouTube has inspired me to try digital oils.

This is based on a very rough digital watercolour-pen-ink thing I started and as such the values are not defined as clearly as I want and it's also a style experiment because apparently why the fuck not, let's try everthing new at once.

Crop of image:

taz_umbra_taako.png
    ...I have no fucking clue what I'm doing.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  3. Bunny

Bunny Former Quiet Lump

That is a wonderfully creepy grin and your painting work on the face looks pretty neat so far!

• Like x 1
  4. chthonicfatigue

Was very gung-ho yesterday about being serious and treating art like I would a job; and then realised that immersing myself to the point of obsession in whatever job I was holding at the time undoubtedly contributed to my current health problems. So I'm going to work steadily and give myself a break when a physical issue flares up. More patience with myself required.

Part of my frustration with myself is that I'm very attracted to clean styles with defined lines and crisp shading and that type of art does not seem to come naturally to me; but very loose, organic, vibrant sketching is also not something I'm good at, I overwork stuff all the time. I should probably pick a direction and stick with it instead of wanting to do All The Things.

5. Bunny

Bunny Former Quiet Lump

Consistency is more important in arting when you are trying to make money off it I feel. Play about with your styles and have fun with them.

• Agree x 1
  6. chthonicfatigue

Art weak points I need to improve:

• Finishing and polishing work. I have a bad habit of leaving pieces sitting for weeks on end and then disliking them when I go back, and that stops me from finishing my artwork. At least some of this is a method problem - I have been s-l-o-w at producing pieces, because I haven't been using the quickest and most efficient techniques. Part of it is that often, I don't have a clearly defined direction for the piece.
    • Direction. I don't think about what I want my art to convey a lot of the time and it leads to being lost in the more complex and conceptual work I want to turn out, and throwing in unnecessary detail and symbolism in the casual pieces.
    • Sunk cost fallacy. A bad base is a bad base is a bad base; if the underlying structure and layout is crap, the piece won't turn out well. Sometimes it's best to adjust or exise, or just rip it all up and start again. A lot of this is because:
    • I don't thumbnail or research enough. A lot of the time, I don't plan; this is okay(ish) for casual sketching and absolute pants for anything requiring any kind of thought process. It also leads to laziness ("what flowers do I know how to draw? Roses. Yeah, roses are easy to stylize; good enough.")
    • Motivation. All of the above leads to a lack of motivation to work on my art, meaning I spend long periods just not having any 'inspiration', and times where I not only do not work on improving but actively let myself backslide for months and years on end.
    Plan:

• Get ideas down on paper. Whether it's for art or writing, put something understandable and coheremt down immediately. It does not have to be good, it just needs to be there. This will give me less time to dwell on refining without actually having to work on the piece, and give me a ready spring of ideas to draw from when the ol' neurons refuse to fire up.
    • Use mood boards and references. I dug out my Illustrator's Figure Reference Manual; it has turnarounds of poses from 3 different standard angles and the poses are shot so they can be easily combined. I haven't used a mood board for a long time, but having colour and lighting references in a single easily-accesible document sounds peachy.
    • Define what's needed from the piece. What I want to evoke and what I expect to get out of it.
    • Improve technique. There's not much to this but watching people better than me paint, and practising a whole bunch.
    • Be kind. It's easy to look at things I've done and just see negatives. I should be actively looking for positives, too.

Also I need a new thread title (again); this one doesn't really fit in with being kind to myself.

• Like x 1
  7. chthonicfatigue

Pro...gress? Maybe? I thumbnailed out an idea which has been haunting me for a couple of days, and I now need to put together a mood board before I can go on with it. MAD REFERENCES. Also went back to the I'm-just-tryin'-out-oils painting and-

I sorted out some underdrawing issues, played with the angles and pose, and honestly it needs a lot of work but I'm kind of pleased with how it's going.

taz_umbra_taako_BIG.png
    taz_umbra_taako_2.png

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  8. chthonicfatigue

Proceeding by inches
    Partly thanks to a two-day migraine I can only describe as like bad toothache, but in my eye

taz_umbra_taako_BIG2.png
    *muffled screaming*
    Edit: carved out a little more.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Like x 2
  9. chthonicfatigue

I have had the idea for a series of short interconnected stories in my head for about six years (and the basic concept of the 'main' storyline much longer) but every time I try to nail down a style for it i come up short. I don't want to take days on each page but i have trouble simplifying the characters, in that i'm just not very good at inking no matter what i try and i struggle to stay on model with cartoonish styles.

narrativ style test 2018.png
    I tried a thing with my basic visual style but it's still looking really, really rough to me.

• Like x 3
  10. Mercury

Mercury 17 Quicksilver Scribe Tramples The Unrepentant

Shit, dude, I think that looks fantastic. Just the thumbnail really caught my eye and then in full view it was even better.

• Agree x 2
  11. chthonicfatigue

Thank you! the line art and colour can be done pretty quick in that style. I don't want to burn out immediately.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  12. chthonicfatigue

ow_shippinit.png
    Dear Blizzard, for Hogswatch I would like you to make this ship fucking canon already

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 1
  13. chthonicfatigue

Ugh, had so much art block over the past few months. Been kinda binge watching acrylic pouring on YouTube, and it looks like fun -- messy, but fun. I have trouble with any project I can't strictly control, to the extent that perfectionism is a problem, so maybe abstract art which changes as you work it and that's a feature not a bug would be good for me.

I don't know. I'm getting strong urges to create, but honestly I have nowhere to work or store art supplies rn, and it's bothering me a lot.

• Witnessed x 1
  14. chthonicfatigue

Experiments achieved answers. Science achieved via failure.

1. Yes, it's possible to use thinned PVA as a pouring medium. It is entirely advisable to avoid it unless you like being a gloopy mess.
    2. Mica does not play well with water soluble ink.
    3. Wax Liqua paint can be buffed to a sheen, albeit at the expense of spreading pigment everywhere. The binder is very soft. Using spray fixitive dulls it.
    4. Watching paint dry is just as boring as the saying suggests.
    These have been your findings for the day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  15. chthonicfatigue

xpost from wips because I wasn't particularly feeling any of my artworks and the whole Reaper + guns + smoke upthread has been waiting for my tender ministrations for yonks now and now it's young Gabriel Reyes in a corset dress please and thank you

ow_gabriel_corset_dos.png

16. chthonicfatigue

old jack pencils.png

Why are you wearing so much STUFF argh

• Winner x 1
  17. chthonicfatigue

halloween2018.png

• Winner x 3
  18. chthonicfatigue

IMG_20181218_121609.jpg

• Winner x 2
  19. chthonicfatigue

ow_sombra_waters.jpg

New watercolor tools in CSP and officially I hate them ugh learning new things

(theyre actually pretty good)

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. chthonicfatigue

So I wantedto go back to an old painting and just tidy up the lines and recolour it, see how much progress I'm making

but no dumbass here ended up converting it to a completely different drawing altogether because making your own life easier is for fools

it's some sort of a cyborg elf boy idk I DID NOT PLAN FOR THIS EVENTUALITY OK

unplanned.png

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice