==> Jesse: Teach a class (open rp)

Discussion in 'Kintsugi In Space' started by jacktrash, Aug 17, 2015.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

You've mentioned the possibility casually a few times, and the response was positive, but you let yourself get distracted by stuff like rice planting 'season', getting the new glow-wood trees established, and a whole lot of robot-wrangling. Things have settled down a little, though, and there's no time like the present. It'll be a good opportunity for new arrivals to get to know folks.

You could've just emailed everyone, but you don't like to spam, and you might annoy Seebs with that. Your spouse is not fond of spammers. Besides, sticking up flyers is kind of fun.

You've got rolls of colorful duct tape on your wrists like bangle bracelets, and you're taking your time. Using a different color for each corner, cuz why not? The flyers could use some color, anyhow, they're just black text on white:

MARTIAL ARTS FOR HEALTH
    FREE - EVERYONE WELCOME - ALL SPECIES, SHAPES, AND SIZES
    Teacher: Jesse the farmer
    Where: Library Square
    When: Mondays 3pm
    Bring: clothes you can move in (if you wear clothes), drinking water​

If no one shows up, you guess you'll just do your workout in the square and then go home. It's no skin off your nose. But it'll be fun if you get a few takers.

((i'll give folks a while to react to the flyer if they want to, then go to class time))

• Like x 2
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

You just finished an extensive studying session in the library. Nothing beats reading up on earth fashion through the centuries on a lazy day. You had gone on a whim, because there hadn't been any appointments scheduled and your darling clustermate had mentioned to you that there had been a few new books to devour.
    Coming out of the building you squint and blink at the harsh sunlight, scrambling to exchange your glasses for shades. Bluh, your eyes always start watering when you go out during the daylight cycle. Even with sunglasses you still have to stand around a bit until your vision stops swimming and your eyes stop being quite so irritated. even with your vision still blurred you begin walking towards your workshop on autopilot. This is not new to you after all.
    When you can finally see clearly again you also finally spot Jesse, the Farmer taping something up. You had already walked past him, but you feel like chatting and besides you are in a curious learning mood today. Whatever Jesse is taping up must be important! You turn around again and walk up to the Farmer, trying to see what the flyer says from where you stand.
    Coming to a halt next to the tall man you lift a hand up for a high five.
    "Hey! What's that flyer say?" you ask. Reading flyers from your position is kinda hard, but almost everyone living in the colonies is way taller than you so you can't really complain. And you could just try coming back later with your floaty platform (the one you are only supposed to use on expeditions or when walking is hard).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Like x 1
  3. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Em: Realize you've been zoning out

You were pretty lost in thought, so it take quite a few annoyed squeaks from several mice before you snap to attention. Well, less snap and more gently float. If mice could facepalm, you think they would be. As it turns out, at some point in your daze a flyer had been put up next to you. Actually, there were several posters scattered around now that you looked. The duct tape is super bright! You should probably read them, instead of staring at the tape...
    You read pretty quick, so it doesn't take long to finish it. Self defense classes seem pretty fun! After a quick consult with the mice (and much squeaking you decide probably translates as "yes Em, we do think you need a hobby other than sleeping!") you decide to go hunt down a Jesse (the Farmer, with the metal arm) and mention you'd be interested.
    Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have gone TOO far. You begin making your way towards him.

4. jacktrash

You don't leave Ivy hanging, but high-five them promptly. "Hey Ivy, sup." You hand them a flyer. "Sorry, I should've put it a bit lower. I wasn't thinking."

• Like x 1
  5. IvyLB

"No problem, heh. Us-folk* is pretty small objectively, can't impose on others to modify their behavior over us being shorter than other people." Looking the flyer over, You beam up at the other.
    "Sounds cool! I'm definitely going to attend. I could use not being such a weak kid!" You are already picking out a workout outfit in your head. You are so excited!

(*Us-folk = the closest to a translation of the fae-word that technically denotes all intelligent life. Some fae dislike using the adopted word for their species, especially since most translations of the fae language word do not have the all-groups-overlapping-no-borders feature that fae language has and thus carries the differing connotation that allows its usage as a species denominator.)

• Like x 1
  6. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

You're out delivering honey in your 'human child' form, because it's more fun that way. You pull a wagon behind you, filled with jars full of the sweet gold liquid. When you turn a corner you see a few new somebodies to share your honey with. Jesse, and Ivy, and here comes Em! You wave hello, and pull your wagon up to them, then pull a few jars from it.
    "I'll trade you one of these for one of those," you tell Jesse.

• Like x 1
  7. emythos

Hey, there's Jesse! And Ivy too! You should hurry up, in case they leave after chatting!
    Or you could trip and fall flat on your face, that works too. Ow.
    You pull yourself up and make your way towards them, annoyed squeaks going full blast in your ear. For fuck's sake, it's not like you mean to be clumsy!

8. jacktrash

"This'll definitely make you stronger," you promise Ivy. Then Soul's offering you honey, and you make the trade even though it isn't really fair. "It's just a piece of paper," you apologize. "You should come pick up some veggies at the farm. Or tofu, I'm making extra-soft silken tomorrow, for dessert custards. It'd be delicious with honey."

Finally, you notice that Em kid scrambling toward you, and have to curb your urge to meet them halfway, leaving the others behind. You can't be everyone's dad all the time. If they want to hurry they can hurry, it's up to them. So you just wave a little greeting and make sure you don't look impatient.

• Like x 1
  9. mysubaccount

mysubaccount (Not) A Catboy

((Are we writing in second person now? Also what time is "3pm" in Kintsugy with its 72hr days? And when are "Mondays"? And what day is this? I'm guessing it's long enough before the exploration to fit in a couple lessons before then, but also, how often are "Mondays"? How many in a Kintsugi month?))

Learning how humans fight sounds like the BEST idea, even better than a nap in the sun, which is now officially plan B instead of plan A.

• Like x 1
  10. emythos

You make your way to the group, grinning cheerfully. You didn't actually hurt yourself (much!)
    "Hiya!" You might be flailing a bit. Just a bit.
    "So, we saw this flyer saying there were gonna be some self defense classes is it okay if I join in? It seems like it'll be really fun! And, um, will make me less of a useless noodle. Those are totally open, right? I didn't misread anything???"
    Okay, maybe chill the random babble. Deep breaths.
    "Ah, sorry about that!" Right, not what you were aiming for. Oh well.

11. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Snitch: find a flyer

You had been going on an errand, when you noticed the small crowd forming, words said echoing round the Library square, lighting the hard surfaces bright in the sonar map you have of the world. They seem to be gathering around some pieces of paper on the wall, placed at regular intervals, that smell of recently-applied toner and undried tape. You reach out and touch one, tendrils brushing over the surface, but taste doesn't tell you much that you haven't already smelt on them.

What was that other sense, the one you use occasionally? Oh, right. Sight. Eyes bubble to your surface, and you give the flyer a once-over. Martian health arts? Isn't Mars that place near Old Earth?

Wait, no, you read wrong. Too many eyes, too low a resolution. You need to work on that at some point.

"Hey Jesse!" you ask, raising your voice slightly to be heard, "can I sign up for Marital arts?"

• Like x 2
  12. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

"I'll be sure to do that," you say, offering a jar to Ivy and Em as well.
    You check the flyer to see if it's the same one that Em is talking about. Oooooh. Martial arts. Fun! Bigger you loves exercise classes.

• Like x 1
  13. IvyLB

Oooooooooo Honey! You flash Soul an extra wide grin, double canines and all. Try your best to look like a cute puppy.
    Not like you wouldn't offer a fair trade but usually people on kintsugi don't have to pay for more than material costs with your stuff. Group is Group after all!

You get distracted from making pretty eyes at the sweet gold liquid and Soul alternatingly as Em trips. Your hands flutter to your mouth. "Are you alright?" you squeak. "Ah you'll come too? Awesome!" you explain after Em finished rambling. You grin again, a bit less big on teeth this time. Sometimes you remember that people find it threatening to show your fangs.
    When snitch joins the group you wave at them.

• Like x 1
  14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

You finish shelving the last of the returns for the time being and decide to take a break. Armed with a fresh mug of tea you wander outside. Someone seems to have put up flyers with colorful tape. You inspect one. It does look interesting, but you´re not sure if clothes meant for such exercise is compatible with your wardrobe OR tail. Maybe you can repurrpose an old chemise? Cut it off short and belt it into a tunic... You´d best ask.

You join the group around Jesse.

"Excuse me." you say. "This may be an odd question, but are pants required for this?"

• Like x 1
  15. emythos

You flail awkwardly.
    "I'm okay, I'm good, I got this!"
    You steady yourself and take the offered honey. "Thank you!"
    You were really needing some more honey for tea, so this is great! You grin happily.

16. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

You grin back and grab two more jars of honey, since Snitch and Cody have suddenly appeared.
    "I've got tons of this stuff, you guys are welcome to it. I think this class sounds super exciting. I love Tae Bo and HEMA."
    You hear Cody's question. "If you need some, I can see about making you some cat pants?"

• Like x 1
  17. jacktrash

((uhhh... i'm... just winging it. i figure if i try to memorize the calendar or whatever, no rp will ever get done. so it's like. whenever. i reckon 'monday' is the next day after this scene, and '3 pm' is a time when most folks are up and about and have eaten something.))

It's getting a bit crowded around you. You can't help but laugh. So that's how you get people to gather: hand out flyers.

Snitch's struggle to operate words-on-paper technology is fascinating. "Sure, you can sign up," you say bemusedly, trying to figure out how, exactly, any of your moves would work for someone shaped like that. Cody's question is less of a mental minefield: "Pants? No, not at all. Just wear something non-constricting and washable."

• Like x 1
  18. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

((makes Cody pants anyway. They are quite literally the cat's pajamas))

• Like x 3
  19. emythos

You have a sudden thought.
    "Should I maybe, like, wear a smaller sweater? Cause I mean, most of mine are really big, so they might get in the way. "
    To make your point, you flap your long sleeves at the rest of the group.

• Like x 1
  20. IvyLB

You shake your head slightly. Everyone always skips appointments and then have wardrobe troubles! Typical!
    "Cody, dear, I can make you a quick knee-length skirt when I get back home. Or pants or something. Just say the word, you know its my job to supply all of you with clothes!"
    You make a thinky frown at Em. That's something you hadn't thought about. Most of your sweaters fall off your shoulders and require their sleeves to be rolled up so they don't completely cover your hands. Maybe you should also see to your own wardrobe troubles too. there should be enough loose flowy tops in your clothes pile that aren't heavy knit that is three sizes too big, though.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice