Language Acquisition Anectodage

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Elph, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Your regular derail from t.txt, this time focusing on linguistic development, language acquisition, and kintsugijin cheating on medical tests during childhood. :P

I did not know that was where that came from!

Reminds me of little-me. I did sentences, but when someone attempted a standard baby-talk "where's your bellybutton? there it is!!!" game with me, i gave them a cutting look and said icily that it was under the jumper I was wearing at the time. In a complete sentence. Plus disparaging facial expression, communicating "what a ridiculous question, don't you have anything better to ask". (I also corrected my aunt's grammar from pre-school age: "Do you want a snack? There's some grapes, or - " "There are some grapes, Auntie J." Drove people nuts.)

Really interesting! What was the reason for the language change? In terms of why people were teaching you Spanish vs English, I mean?

I've had mean anons accusing me of trying to sound pretentiously formal in my About page, which... I didn't even remember what was on my about. I looked, and found what appeared to be quite a normal piece of writing from Elph When She's Not Trying To Deliberately Simplify Her Speech. Greatly offended, I rewrote the page in two different styles: one, simplified to mimic "normal" speech; the other, imitating someone who actually is just pawing through a thesaurus to try to sound as clever as possible. The former was legible, the latter disgusting.

also-relevant topics: dyslexia, hyperlexia, vision and hearing tests, general failure to match expected development trajectories in relation to School Stuff

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like x 4
  2. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

okay I'd never head the term hyperlexia before but holy shit it's me

• Like x 1
  3. missoyashirou

missoyashirou Someone please give me a tiny dog to play with

I know my parents spoke Spanish and English at home, and I spent a lot of my time at my English-speaking-only grandparent's house. Mom thinks my grandparents forbade me from speaking Spanish due to not understanding baby-me, but considering they encouraged adult-me in learning it, that's more manipulative than I expect from them.

Personally, I think it might have been brainweird issues that were never really diagnosed? Especially with the difficulties I had with learning any other language, and how scattered my English itself is, sometimes.

• Like x 2
  4. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

I found the "you're being pretentious with a thesaurus" anon! It's from back when my URL was elphias-treason.

Part of my /about was, at the time, this:

This is a perfectly normal way for me to speak, either in person or online. As I told the anon, I've spent years "dumbing down" my speech so that my classmates would stop giving me funny looks, and on tumblr I just let myself relax and write however feels right at the time.

Here's the whole thing, in reverse chronological order bc tumblr but whatever; you can see where I tried to write as if I was putting it on, and it was painful all round.

• Like x 1
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice