Learning to play drums (and record them)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by littlepinkbeast, May 27, 2015.

1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

http://littlepinkbeast.tumblr.com/post/119995587901/me-playing-some-drums-and-figuring-out-how-to
    http://littlepinkbeast.tumblr.com/post/119999743401/more-drummies-some-noticeable-errors-but-eh

Not perfect at all, but I want people to tell me I'm doing good and will get there if I keep practicing. Also I'm still trying to figure out how to tweak settings to make things not clip or rattle or be way too soft in weird ways, so if anyone has any experience recording things with Audacity, maybe some suggestions?

2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Still listening to the first one but I really like the basic drumline you've got going on there a lot. All the music stuff in here lately really makes me want to try at least getting through some online music theory, ya'll sound great.

3. littlepinkbeast

Oh! I should probably make it clearer, I didn't write them. I just didn't want to put the names on the tumblr posts in case of banhammer bots crawling around looking for copyright violations and not being smart enough to tell that those are me playing instead of pir8ed tracks. One's Lordi's Hard Rock Hallelujah, the other's Skid Row's 18 and Life. At least, in theory that's what they are.

4. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Drums are hard to record. A lot of the time, producers actually have separate mics for each piece of kit because of all the volume issues.
    Where are you recording? In your room? In a studio? If it's in your room and your room is small or weirdly shaped, you might need to move the drums around the room because the way the sound reflects off of stuff in the room affects the recording a lot.
    If you only have one mic, then you're going to want to experiment a lot with where you place the mic relative to the kit.

In any case, you're going to want to get a good recording before you start screwing around with it in Audacity. Audacity, and other editing programs, can clean up your sound a little bit, but they can only do so much for a crappy recording. At the moment I think the first thing you want to do is turn down the gain on your equipment. The toms were I think the loudest bit? So try moving your mic around and adjusting the gain while hitting the toms to see when the sound meter starts approaching 0db. You don't want it to go above 0. You can do more to make a quiet recording louder than to make a loud recording softer without sacrificing quality.
    Once you've done that you can try putting in a compressor to get your softer bits louder.
    Also high-passing! You might have a bunch of stuff going on below 20 hz, but you don't care about that stuff, and it adds to the db meter without adding audible volume. A gentle filter or EQ down there will probably help.

Some stuff by a guy who does acoustic recording professionally:
    http://www.audio-issues.com/music-m...-getting-your-drums-sounding-punchy-powerful/
    http://www.audio-issues.com/recording-tips/the-simple-method-of-recording-drums-in-your-living-room/

I am so glad I went with an electronic kit. Sound quality takes a hit but doing just about anything is so much easier.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. littlepinkbeast

Ah, heh, I wasn't thinking clearly and just kind of assumed everyone would know what I was talking about. Theory of mind, I haz one. It's an electronic kit, Roland TD-4, and I'm using Audacity as the recording program and trying to figure out what settings and levels to tweak so that I don't get that clipping on louder hits but don't lose the softer ones completely.

6. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Oh! Okay, great. That makes things 100000% easier.
    So your best option is to go into the TD-4's controls and adjust the volume levels of the individual pieces there via the mixer in the menu. EQ and such can come later, but really you want to get the volume as close to perfect as you can before touching anything more sophisticated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice