Leave Me Alone! The thread for when people won't do that.

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by ASPD Anon, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Sadly, people have been asking for specific thread bans for themselves since the forum began. It only works with whole subforums. It's just not part of the software. Seebs doesn't make his own, this site is made using xenforo, which is flexible but not quite up to all the things we might like.

2. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

I've used other XenForo sites that have threadbans, though. Is there any way to see if there are code templates out there?

• Like x 3
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

There's addons. Some of them cost dollars, others are free. I can look?

But also I have a concern, which is thread-specific bans would be a huge additional workload.

I'm actually really close to abandoning forum-specific bans, even, unless I can get an addon that allows users to ban themselves from forums so it doesn't require me to go spend time clicking on things every time there's an update.

• Like x 3
  4. seebs

... Oh, interesting.

There are thread reply bans. So you can prevent someone from replying to a thread. Usually it's been in the context of "I find this upsetting, so I have to not see it", which we don't have.

• Like x 5
  5. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

I know this is a feature I would be willing to donate some dollars to.

• Like x 2
  6. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

Seconding this notion. I'd gladly donate a few bucks if it means people dont get hurt.

7. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Aren't people blocked from viewing your threads if you block them?

8. mahina

mahina spooky scary bpder

Not as far as I know. You cant see their threads if you block them though.

9. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

i think you're conflating tumblr blocking w kintsugi ignoring

all ignoring does is remove them from YOUR browsing experience

10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Ah, okay, I had it reversed. Carry on!

11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Oooh. Thread reply bans would be excellent, especially if we have the power to toggle them rather than needing to report for a mod to do so. Means we can have a vent thread where we're not seeing the ignored user message pop up.

• Like x 3
  12. Ipuntya

Ipuntya your purple friend

they would also definitely be misused if users had the power to toggle them outside of vent threads

• Like x 1
  13. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

I like the idea of an addon like that because then when I realize I need to be banned from an area I can just do it. good feature idea

• Like x 2
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

That's a good point.

15. seebs

So, there's a philosophical problem, which is most forums are very much top-down moderation oriented, so there's basically zero support for "let users do their own stuff".

Thread reply bans exist. Thread bans in other senses might exist, but I'm not aware of them, because no one else running forums is thinking "how do I let users control their experiences" so much as "how do I keep users from posting bad things". There's some exceptions, and I knew a place running vB that had thread-ignore type features.

Hmm. I found an addon that might do that. I'll see if I can free up spoons. (And thanks for the offers of donations, but really, money is not an issue here, time is.)

• Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice