Lemme Tell You About Ibby

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 16, 2017.

1. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

Apology accepted

2. witchknights

witchknights 27 Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I'm not Seebs, but if your script is "we acknowledge the situation and we are doing our best to deal with it" might be lying if it's a situation where there's nothing they can do to deal with it effectively; like, there's nothing the mod team can do to stop someone from doxxing an user somewhere else.

3. leo

leo Well-Known Member

I would not consider doing their best, as in watching the user and keeping them under moderation, not a lie. That is them doing their actual best, just not what the user would want.

• Like x 2
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Sometimes the real flat truth is that, at a given moment, I don't care about a person's emotional state. It's not super common, but it is totally a thing.

Still, I'm gonna give this some thought. I think there's definitely potential here.

5. leo

leo Well-Known Member

As one sociopath to another, I run into this problem a lot. Generally, my go-to is,

"While I may not be effected nor care, I recognize morally that this is a problem, and it is unfortunate you are going through it."

• Like x 1
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Well I'm not happy being seen as obligated to provide free counseling services either, it's boundary violating, hence why BOTH sides of that divide are unhelpful.

• Like x 4
  7. seebs

Oh, I did mean it literally. I could create a category-of-users who do not have magic powers, but who can do support-ish stuff.

Oooh.

Okay, so a friend of mine had an idea which I've seen used before, and which could combine with this.

It is almost certainly possible, even easy, to make a forum in which only the person who starts a thread can see it... Or possibly only them and "staff members". Which need not imply any special powers other than "can see threads in this forum".

Consider this as a possible partial solution to "I really need to Say Thing but I don't want people hurt that I said it".

Also consider it as a way for people to reach out to "staff" as a category rather than specific users, but also for us to have a way to reach "people who have volunteered to listen to things" or whatever.

I'm not gonna jump on this right away, because while this is a thing composed entirely of things I've seen attempted, it's also got interactions that are new, but I think it might address a thing or three.

• Like x 14
  8. seebs

Yeah, I think it's definitely important/necessary/desireable to separate the "put out trash fires" job and the "shoosh pap" job.

• Like x 6
  9. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I've heard that Snitch made some kind of attempt to broach communique, but we haven't talked much (which sucks because Snitch strikes me as rad), so I couldn't offer you any specifics. This might be total hearsay on my part.

I can't speak for the rest.

• Like x 1
  10. leo

leo Well-Known Member

I object to this being the sole solution. I believe both should be implemented, while users are still allowed to have public threads that mention or vague other users. If you did not mean this to be end-all be-all, I have no problems.

• Like x 4
  11. a tiny mushroom

What if we had 'trash fire' mods and 'shoosh pap' mods? Or is that getting too complicated???

• Like x 3
  12. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

If you do attempt it, I'd like to volunteer as someone who's around to listen when folks need it.

Eta: or just to take a shooshpap hat, whichever. I usually have spoons to at least listen to people who need it and.. try to reach out, I'm just very quiet in the forums themselves.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like x 1
  13. leo

leo Well-Known Member

You're right to feel that way, but voicing your disdain to the person isn't going to help anything or anyone.

• Like x 1
  14. seebs

I don't see any reason for it to replace anything else, people are pretty much allowed to do whatever they want. But some people might specifically want to be heard by someone but not by everyone.

• Like x 1
  15. seebs

That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking, so.

• Like x 6
  16. a tiny mushroom

I also volunteer for shoosh pap mod because I'm (I think???) good at making consolation noises at people

• Like x 5
  17. leo

leo Well-Known Member

I agree. Did I not word my post as clearly as I should have?

18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I was actually going to suggest something similar to that! Well, more like making a thread for myself that would stay in the mod queue, but that idea works even better. I think this should totally be a thing.

19. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

This sounds like it could be a really good idea. I'd be happy to volunteer as a shooshpapper if this was implemented.

Eta: haha whoa, seriously ninjaed. But, yeah. Offer stands. I've got extra spoons lying around at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like x 5
  20. leo

leo Well-Known Member

Also, you'd need to see how pings work in those threads. For example, if I have a me-and-only mods thread, and I quote a post form someone else, will the ping still register?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice