Lemme Tell You About Ibby

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 16, 2017.

1. a tiny mushroom

a tiny mushroom the tiniest

what does bear-baiting even mean

• Like x 1
  2. Ana Nimus

Ana Nimus Well-Known Member

Holy fuck, the fact that you made this entire thread because of Alix and one comment you didn't like but jack shit about the people who were suicide baited is exactly the kind of prioritizing the offender over the victims and victim blaming shit people are mad at you about!

Also pls stop ignoring every complaint that's not "seebs won't ban this person" kthx

• Like x 10
  3. Birdy

Birdy so long

It means people in this thread are talking about two different and both extremely volatile topics and everyone's pissed and confused

• Like x 2
  4. leo

leo Well-Known Member

yeah sorry people are allowed to talk about what people did to them.

• Like x 1
  5. a tiny mushroom

i appreciate that but can i please get an actual answer because i can kinda guess the meaning but shockingly this autistic is struggle to understand the meaning of a phrase

• Like x 1
  6. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

None of these things would, in any way, even remotely mitigate the presumed threat. Not even a tiny bit. They wouldn't put even the smallest, most ineffectual, speedbump in the way of the threat.

So if you want reassurance that we put threats to your lives and safety on an important level, HEY LOOK A BUNCH OF TERRORISTS no wait they're gone we already caught them. WOO HOO GO US! That was just as effective at protecting you as anything else here would have been.

We're not talking about "if the person was REALLY determined".

I'm asking, can you name a thing which would have any impact whatsoever on the threat in question? Because if they're threatening to call Michi's work, I'm pretty sure I have to cut off their phone service to do anything.

I've watched multiple mods put in several hours on shit today. Cut off user's access to PMs, put user on moderation, and did a bunch of firefighting. I am not really interested in pretending that I'm not feeling pretty antagonistic right now, because all you've done is confirm that every conceivable mod response would, in fact, be 100% irrelevant to the actual serious threat perceived. Which is the real problem, here. You're asking mods to do something about a physical threat, when what you need if you think it's a real threat is cops.

Well, the reason I wasn't talking about that here is that someone had asked what I thought the troll's motive was, and I wanted to write about specifically "why anyone but Alix might feel motivated to act with hostility towards people who've been mistreating Alix".

I guess part of it is, I get shit like that all the time. Heck, someone sent us a threatening thing in the mail recently, like an actual physical threat, specifically trying to call attention to how Alix had posted my address, to make me More Aware Of The Threat or something. And then, after a day in which no one used the stove at all for any reason, we suddenly found a burner on full blast but not lit, and had to air the entire house out because of gas on two floors. (And we'd been cooking with the microwave, so we were near the stove many times earlier in the day without smelling anything...)

So, yeah, threats are shitty, but a PMd threat with possibly-outdated information and stuff like that strikes me as relatively low on the list. I'ma worry more about the question of whether we can safely sleep at the same time, or need to be doing shifts for a while.

7. leo

leo Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that seebs
    but how is that fucking relevant besides a guilt trip
    if you get what it's like, maybe. just maybe.

tell michi you've got her back and you understand.

• Like x 6
  8. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

please, explain to me exactly how Michi baited anyone, and how that totally justifies someone else threatening to doxx her?

• Like x 6
  9. a tiny mushroom

i cant fucking argue with seebs because I'm a fucking dumb retard who cant even spell correctly half the time but ok i get it actual concerns of forum users don't matter and I'm an idiot who thinks I'm more competent than the government and clearly fuckiung thinks that terrorists stop existing if ban them on the internet right cool thanks i was just trying to express concerns that making threats to users seems to be okay even if ~nothing happens~

i'll go be a fucking retard somewhere else then

• Like x 3
  10. seebs

I'm not aware of anything you did that would justify that. I'm not disputing that Alix has a long history of losing their shit at people and acting totally inappropriately. And that long-standing pattern of behavior why Alix is back on moderation, and is gonna stay there for a while.

But there's several people who've been going out of their way to keep the fight going, and that is some serious bullshit that we do not need.

11. ASPD Anon

ASPD Anon Vagitarian

Hmmmm. I'm thinking about the best way to phrase this. Options so far:
    • Do you see a meaningful difference between identifying one's attacker and shit-talking?
    • Do you see a meaningful difference between being angry at one's attacker and shit-talking?
    • Do you see a meaningful difference between declaring a boundary and shit-talking?
    • Do you see a meaningful difference between loudly and forcefully declaring a boundary and shit-talking?
    I would like to know where shit-talking begins, and what does and does not constitute it. At which point does the following become shit-talking? I think we can all agree that it gets more and more unacceptable the farther down we go.
    • Ow, my face!
    • Joe punched me in the face.
    • That bastard Joe punched me in the face.
    • Don't go near Joe, he punched me in the face and might punch you too.
    • Joe is a face-punching piece of shit. My face still hurts where he punched it.
    • Joe is a face-punching piece of shit.
    • Joe is a piece of shit and I hope he gets fired.
    • Joe is a piece of shit and I hope he dies.
    (I'm not trying to be aggressive or anything, I just don't know of a better way to phrase this and I don't know where the line is in your opinion relative to mine.)

• Like x 7
  12. seebs

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying that no matter how much the concerns of forum users matter, there's nothing I can do about the real-life threats. Nothing I do changes them.

13. a tiny mushroom

i always knew everyone on this forum hated me hah it was only a matter of time i'll just fucking go then, I'm too broken to ever think i could have a community ok bye

14. leo

leo Well-Known Member

if you wanna name one person who went into alix's threads a-blazing or pinged alix without alix involving the user first, please. be my guest.

15. Ana Nimus

Have you tried talking directly to those people then, instead of guilting the whole forum?

• Like x 3
  16. a tiny mushroom

maybe give half a shit about the people it happens to, even if they're not your friends or people you like

why am i still talking fuck I'm going now ok bye actually

• Like x 1
  17. seebs

I am pretty sure I have said at least five or six times now that the threatening-to-doxx was completely unjustified. I am not interested in claiming that the trolling behavior was justified. But then, the person doing that wasn't Alix. And I'm talking about behavior towards Alix which relates to Alix's responses, disproportionate as they often are.

Heck, I'm not even saying that Alix's behavior is justified. I'm just saying that at some point, if enough people are shit-talking someone with a history of explosive and/or violent meltdowns, I start wondering why they're still doing that, and whether it might not be better for them to knock it off.

18. seebs

"Giving half a shit" is not a thing moderator powers can do.

You said you wanted to see moderator action. But you have not identified a moderator action which would mitigate the threat.

My point is: The problem here is not "insufficient moderation". It's a problem that moderation can't solve.

19. michinyo

michinyo On that Dumb Bitch Juice diet

But I... didn't mistreat Alix?

• Like x 4
  20. Ana Nimus

Ok but are you ever going to stop going "but what about alixs feelings" long enough to go "but what about the feelings of the people that alix hurt"?

• Like x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice