Let's Play: Did I Take My Meds?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by siveambrai, Mar 1, 2015.

1. siveambrai

siveambrai Negative Karma Engine nerd.professor.gamer

I have my bottle sitting next to me. I have my drink to take them with. But I can't remember if I actually took them. So its time for the thrilling game of which is worse a doubled dose or missing one?

2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Might be a good idea to aquire a notebook or calendar to mark off when you´ve taken your meds so you´ll know. not that this is of any use to you right now...

3. Aya

Aya words words words

I have dumped out my remaining pills and counted them in attempts to figure out if I actually took them. This works pretty well with the stuff I take twice a day because then it's odds or evens, but when it's just once a day... well, I don't remember what day I started taking this month's pills, but it's probably after the day that I picked up the pills, so the one on the label isn't helpful, and uhh. Well.

I started checking off what pills I've taken on habitRPG because this was happening to me way too often.

• Like x 1
  4. siveambrai

Yea the difficultly is I tend to take them on auto-pilot. So its part of my morning routine and I'm usually thinking about something else while I take them (because what's the point of a routine if not to automate things?)

Blergh.

5. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah, I have the same problem. It's why I use a weekly holder for them, so I can doublecheck.

6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I do mine before bed, and because I'm also on contraceptives, I can tell if I've taken my pill(s) (yay bubble packs). but, y'know, on the week of no pills, that gets kinda awkward...

and yeah. double or miss? tough question. hope you do okay today. :)

7. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I should do that. Problem is (like a lot of other things that I haven't established a double-check method) I'm just reliable enough in taking my meds that it feels like too much effort to do it. I'm probably like 95+% accurate with my pill taking, I mess up maybe once a month or so.

Some of my meds I can tell if I haven't taken them (e.g. my diabetes medications), so if I'm not sure I'll take them with me and if I feel after a few hours like I need them, I'll take them. Those could be dangerous to double-take (low blood sugar can cause collapse or even death). My depression meds don't seem to do any harm if I double-take & I checked toxicity online and it's fine. My sleeping meds the problem often is I only remember that I haven't taken them when I wake up at 3am and I'm twitchy, and I know if I take them I'll sleep right through my alarm.

• Like x 1
  8. albedo

albedo metasperg

Oh, hey. HabitRPG is a great idea for that, since the dailies turn themselves back on; I think I'm going to do that. Thanks!

Antidepressants are wonderful magic, but I get jittery and nauseous if I miss a dose. :\ Not sure how much that's psychosomatic stress and how much it's actually the drugs.

9. wes scripserat

wes scripserat Hephaestus

i don't take pills regularly but I was on an antibiotics course for a while (screwed up my internal workings abit, may be related to my recent food weird) and i know that I would worry constantly that i hadn't taken the damn things.
    it's like how I'll be convinced I've gotten on the wrong train even if i checked beforehand.

10. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

nausea, a headache, and belligerence are my major clues that i've missed a dose, and since i'm usually fairly confident that i took my meds right up until then, i don't think it's psychosomatic. i've never had a hangover, but from what people describe it's much like that.

11. albedo

albedo metasperg

Interesting. I've never had a hangover either, but that sounds pretty plausible. My main temporary side-effect from sertraline is fidgeting/jitteriness, as if on too much coffee, and it's very much like that for me; I don't think I get belligerent, but I'm never quite sure how I read. =_=

12. siveambrai

That is indistinguishable from my regular attitude so I wouldn't know. Although the extreme forms are what I experienced when I went off effexor. Totally unfun.

13. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Not a medical doctor, but it seems to me that a quick check of the internet to see if a double dose would exceed the normal range prescribed would answer this. If a double is outside the range, better to skip; if inside the range, go ahead and double up.

Old lady pillboxes with compartments for the days of the week can help.

• Like x 1
  14. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I highly recommend the MediSafe app!
    You can schedule pills and it will incessantly remind you every ten minutes to take them and mark them off.
    You can also do as-needed pills, and you just mark off when you take it.
    I've been trying to use it to help with just stuff like motrin too. I usually forget how long it's been since I took the last dose. It keeps track for you.
    The trick is to remember to mark it off in the first place, but at least with my scheduled ones, it reminds me until I do.
    (It also records the time you took it too, if that's something you need to keep track of.)
    It was really helpful for when I was weaning off my old pills and I had to keep track of taking it every-other-day. I could just schedule it that way and tada! Also tells me when I started taking the new one because I forget dates.

Also, you can customize the shape and color of the pill in the app to match and that makes me super happy x)

Edit: As for double or miss, I have no idea. :(

• Like x 2
  15. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I missed my lexapro today and I was a jittery, tweaky mess. I had to take a walk and then I was so worried how much of a freak I looked, walking weird, sort of twitchy and odd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice