Like Lemmings, but dorfier (a Dwarf Fortress thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Morven, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Who here plays Dwarf Fortress, or has tried it? I swear sometimes it's a stupid-ways-for-dwarves-to-die simulator. When it's not being a dwarf mental health simulator.

2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

tfw df crashes

3. Morven

TFW DF crashes and you realize it's been 3 hours of work lost

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  4. Morven

So I started Yet Another Fortress because I lost 3-4 hours of fortress building to a crash and forgetting to save. It's disheartening. I kept the save so if I want to go there again I can, but not today and probably not this week.

This time, it's volcanic island time. Magma exposed to the surface! My dwarves embarked right on top of the tallest mountain, 40 zlevels above sea level.

My only problem? So far the only water I've found is a 3x2 pond. No aquifer I can find despite being told there was. I've dug down over 100 zlevels and not found it.

5. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

The aquifer is probably in a different "biome." Try digging in a different part of the map.

I'd been away from the game for a while and I downloaded the latest version and made a new fort. In the first or second migration wave, I was watching the migrants come in... @.... @... f... @.... Ñ

It's a ghoul. Just... migrating to my fort. I don't even have a military yet, and I'm freaking out. But it's not hostile. It accepts labors. Psych screen shows that it's oddly emotionless - "felt nothing" in response to every stressor or stress relief - but is still a "short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry."

I made it the butcher.

• Like x 5
  6. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

i keep trying dorf fortress but bouncing off the user interface. it menaces with spikes of not being able to figure out how to keep track of what i'm doing.

• Witnessed x 1
  7. TheSeer

TheSeer 37 Bright Visionary Crushes The Doubtful

I find Dwarf Therapist helps a lot, but yeah. The user interface is... Difficult.

8. Aondeug

Have you tried the Lazy Newb Pack? It gives you a number of mods and such that help make the game as user friendly as one can. Includes things like Dwarven Therapist and workflow, which is a DFhack thing that lets you like set ranges in which dwarves will repeat making things. So like you can set your drinks to have a rule that your drink count must be in a range of 50-100. Which helps keep you from running out of drink but also from making too much drink and wasting materials. And so on.

• Useful x 1
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

It's been forever since I actually played DF since I burn out quick with undirected play, but sometimes I just check the wiki to see what new and demented ideas the playerbase has come up with in my absence.

• Agree x 1
  10. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Basically the above except that my beefy beast of a computer... refuses to play DF. Just straight-up fucking chokes

I'm waiting for the graphical version done with Kitfox, since they're allegedly also fixing a bunch of behind the scenes stuff to make it run smoother

11. Morven

I honestly don't mind the interface too much, because text terminal user for so many years and avid Roguelike fan, but some things do drive me nuts, especially the inconsistency of whether primary direction keys are in use (numpad or arrow keys), secondary linear keys (+/-), secondary direction keys (uhkm), or indeed wadx.

• Agree x 1
  12. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

and the thing where some rectangular areas are selected by picking one corner and then the other, and others are selcted by picking the center and then expanding them or contracting them horizontally and vertically.

but mostly it's things like not having any idea how much to plant or how much i'm producing, or what my dwarves are doing instead of what i thought i told them to do

• Witnessed x 1
  13. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

The time for this image has come.

Oh_look_a_way_to_die.png

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
  14. Morven

Somehow I ended up with four barons in my fortress. Annoying fucks. But then the real baron of the area, the first one appointed, lost his shit and went crazy and someone killed him, so now I only have three.

15. Aondeug

three remain

• Agree x 1
  16. Morven

right now I'm evaluating which is the one to leave alive because I am happy to have one baron.

17. Aondeug

do any of them have particularly rad names

• Like x 1
  18. Morven

we have:

Salore Eyayemi, Baron of Diveboats
    Shem Likotmorul, Baron of Gorgedriven
    Asmel Zefonthurleth, Countess of Growthletter

19. Aondeug

i vote for baron of ye olde submarines personally

• Like x 2
  20. Morven

I am pretty sure Shem is for the chop just because he annoys me. Asmel seems to be pretty OK, no big complaints and demands for only cool shit I wanted to build (mostly weapons, armor)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice