Loose thought: "Attractive Nuisance"

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I believe someone has already checked/said that it does not.

2. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

Nope. It'd be ideal if people would finish catching up with a thread and +quote things to respond to as they go but I understand that doesn't work for some folks

Btw, to quote without pinging, just remove the 'post: ####, member: ##' bit

• Like x 2
  3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

A couple more loose thoughts on the analogy:

1. Attractive nuisance doctrine applies in situations where signs won't work. Little kids either can't or won't read signs, which is why you have to build a fence around your swimming pool.

2. There is a decent argument that as the proprietor of this forum, seebs is analogous to the landowner with the unfenced swimming pool. (Note, this is only with respect to the analogy being pursued here, not any formal liability).

3. We are starting to brush up against the perennial problem of "who owns the thread?" Is it the OP or is it the posters in the thread? Many bytes have given their informational lives striving over this question.

• Like x 6
  4. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

No, said the man in the Vatican, it belongs to the church.

-sees self out-

• Like x 10
  5. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Property is theft

• Like x 9
  6. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I think in the case of thread blocking not stopping pings, then, people can do their best to not ping people who need a break, but people on a break also need to be mindful that there's a reasonable possibility that responders won't have seen their message in time.

It's not malicious to not see the notice of needing to step back, but let's try to use quotes that don't ping the "out on break" person where possible.

Meaning, please try your best to respect people's no pings breaks, AND please don't jump on people who didn't notice in time and pinged the on break person. It happens.

To quote without pinging, remove the "post: ####, member: ##" part of the quote.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like x 8
  7. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

To make a thief, make an owner; to create crime, create laws.

• Like x 6
  8. Beldaran

To make a pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

• Like x 10
  9. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Go to bed; tired is stupid.

I'm going take the advice of the Taoist Witch Queen of the West and hit the sack.

10. Beldaran

To give my two cents, it's totally situational, which is both the most and least useful.

Vent threads, personal abuse history threads, etc. seem to belong to the OP to a degree. Topic threads belong to the posters, somewhat. But what if the topic is advice requested by a specific person that could benefit many people? That's more murky. Fight threads??? I don't even want to try to say. I mean, obviously the people involved fight to the death and the last one standing claims ownership.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like x 4
  11. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Thank you and yes, you grasped my point.

• Like x 4
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

People will still get mad at you for pinging them, this is what happened with Ipuntya.

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Fwiw, Moony probably won't be responding. He's pretty sick at this point and I'm putting him back to bed as soon as he's home from school.

• Like x 3
  14. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Yes. And when the swimming pool is "someone is talking about you", the majority of people can't refrain from finding out what's being said. (To say nothing of "how would you know whether it was about you or not before you read it?")

I was mostly addressing the question of people saying that signage was sufficient to remove all liability, in analogy land.

My answer is: Neither, it's the community as a whole, including people not yet posting but who might want to read the thread later.

I have tended to be willing to delete things on request, but I don't think that has been a great policy, because it removes information and breaks continuity.

• Like x 2
  15. Petra

Petra space case

Seebs, are you aware @palindromordnilap just made a vent thread specifically for suicide baiting people and openly said someone else should die? And that the suicide baiting posts were deleted by Bel (after people got receipts)?

• Like x 1
  16. Beldaran

@Petra he's talking about other, nonemergency stuff.

The thing with Pal has been handled, this thread doesn't need to be about it too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  17. Petra

Petra space case

Okay! I didn't mean to derail, the timing was just unfortunate.

• Like x 1
  18. Beldaran

19. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Answer is, I wasn't aware of it, but also "deleting because what the fuck no" is not "deleting by request". "Deleting by request" is where there's no reason for which I'd delete a post, but the person who made it asks.

• Like x 1
  20. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

Vent threads are currently an area where someone can blow out their harsh feelings.

I was under the impression that the accountability for vent threads was "Know that if someone disagrees with something then they have the right to try to PM you, ask you about it once a few hours have gone by and you're calmed down (if you're okay with direct interaction in the thread), or request your presence in a TCHGB thread," which I don't think is unreasonable. I don't really know if anyone here has voiced that is unreasonable. Having sorted through several pages of drama discussion today, I'm not sure I could comb the thread to find out if anyone thinks it isn't reasonable.

Is there a problem with this at present?

I will add on,what is the protocol for if someone says no to discussion on it, then continues to talk about that person in their vent thread? That is certainly an uncomfortable thing that could happen, and the only thing, really, that makes me nervous at present. For the most part I trust people here to be civil enough to not do that barring some extreme cases of mistrust where at least one side ignoring the other might be in order, but I think it is something we need to think on.

• Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice