Loose thought: "Attractive Nuisance"

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Lazarae

Lazarae You won't be the death of me

The like-spam thing.

2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

What, you mean the literal harassment?

3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

The protocol, which is currently in... a thread that is not the community guidelines thread???? is currently to request the poster to stop, and if that doesn't work to start a thread in TCHGB to work things out.
    I believe it has been at some point proposed that in extreme cases agreements to mutual ignore might be a solution???

• Like x 1
  4. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

Hrmmm, yeah because in some cases at least one party would really like never to have to talk to the other party again.

5. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah, I feel like the places our moderation system breaks down is when one party doesn't WANT to fix things or change their behavior.

• Like x 10
  6. cleverThylacine

Or, alternatively, has just had enough and can't be arsed to deal with the other party any more.

7. Petra

Petra space case

Yes, but I'm specifically referring to something else, not just ignoring a person. I don't see ignoring a person as a 'break down'?

8. cleverThylacine

ahahah. I'm thinking about when mutual ignore breaks down because of vent threads.

9. Petra

Petra space case

Oooh. That's a thing, although if mentions aren't too targeted I don't see much point in letting the other person know because that tends to just be upsetting. It is a good point, though!

• Like x 1
  10. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I'd like to ask if this thread has been motivated by a thing that's actually been happening, or is purely hypothetical in terms of worry? Most of the nasty shit that's been flung around in vent threads lately has already been on the side of 'I'm saying hurtful things, I don't care if you read it, and I don't care if it hurts you (but you're allowed to feel that way, sucker)'. Which is acceptable in terms of what Seebs has been saying? Obviously it's not nice, but niceness isn't really a requirement to be posting here. Where did this come from?

• Like x 8
  11. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Long story short: There's been varying degrees of that, but we've had a few instances in the past, involving a number of people, where someone was criticized sometimes fairly harshly for being hurt by something they read in a vent thread, on the grounds that they shouldn't have been reading the thread or taking it seriously in the first place. And I got to thinking about this partially as a side-effect of the question of whether everyone had agreed that Brainbent was "all vent threads" or "sometimes vent threads", and how you'd tell whether a thread was a vent thread, and what the implications were. And even outside the immediate "vent thread" thing, there's been a few cases of people getting upset when accused of having said things, on the grounds that obviously those things were just venting and shouldn't be taken as things they actually believe.

And it occurred to me that a lot of this is simply resolved by "whether or not you said you were venting, if you say a thing, you have said that thing".

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice