Losing track of time?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Deresto, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ok i'll be the first to admit i have never been very good at time and dates and such, often dont know what day it is, and have to check a good three or four times on a good day to retain the info a clock gives me.

I'm a little worried just now because after actually sitting and thinking about it, ive gotten quite significantly worse seemingly over a short period (but its probably been gradual) because i can no longer off the top of my head tell what month it is. I also spent a good 5-10 minutes thinking i had been to the hospital late last year when i think its been 2 or more years? Id have to go look in my records. When people tell me the date or time i cant retain the information for longer than it takes to immediately write it down.

Im having trouble with the concept as well sometimes, it feels unreal and fake. Im not like, blacking out and losing chunks of time or anything, like i vaguely remember doing things and it was me doing it, but it doesnt feel like time was passing correctly??? Or something.

I know its a question doctors ask (do you know the time and date, where you are, ect) although i dont know what its for, but it leaves me worried and im not sure how to phrase the question in google. Whats up with me?

2. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I think there's multiple things that can cause that kind of problem, and I Am Not A Doctor so I can't say exactly what the issue is, but from personal experience: It sounds kind of like what happens to me with my ADHD? I'm terrible at remembering arbitrary information like dates -- if I don't write them down right away I won't remember. It's hard to keep track of what time it is and how much time is passing. It's hard to remember what day of the week it is. Etc. Having trouble conceptualizing the passage of time in general is a thing that happens with ADHD. I don't know if you have any other ADHD-esque symptoms, but it's one possibility that I think could cause what you're describing.

When doctors ask stuff like "what's your name" "where are you" "what day is it" after you've been in an accident or something similar, I believe the idea is to ask for basic information that most people could recite off the top of their head, as a way of assessing how disoriented or hurt you are. If you have a hard time answering those questions, it could indicate that you're in shock, have a concussion, or are otherwise injured in a potentially severe way that needs to be treated. I don't think it has anything to do with knowing the time and date in particular, it's just that those are things most people can answer easily without having to think hard about it.

• Like x 1
  3. Kemmasandi

Kemmasandi Optimus Prime's disapproving eyebrows

ADHD here too, and I get this as well. Mine has also gotten worse in the last couple of years, but this coincides with me losing a regular daily/weekly schedule, and also developing some fairly significant health issues causing the mother of all brain fog, so I'm reasonably confident laying the blame for my issues wrt time at their feet. IIRC, losing track of time is related to executive dysfunction issues, so if that's true then there could be any number of Brain Things going on. I am also not a doctor, however, so take that with a grain of salt.

• Like x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

That is interesting to know, will consider looking into adhd stuff. Ive kinda suspected but a lot of stuff that seemed "adhdish" i kinda just assumed was an autism thing. Maybe ive had the combo platter all along.

I get asked the time and place type questions probably on a far more frequent basis (feels at least once a year by various medical professionals but who knows the actual amount) than others i guess, just cause of psychosis shenanigans as my brain doesnt like me very much off meds. I dont think the time thing is related too much to that though because ive always been like that (with time stuff). Its just been much worse lately.

Could maybe have to do with new meds???

5. devian

devian Well-Known Member

There's a fair amount of overlap between autism and ADHD stuff, so it makes sense you'd attribute ADHDish stuff to autism instead. Autism might also contribute to the time thing, but I've seen more stuff from ADHD people than autistic people about time-related issues specifically.

Ah, yes, psychosis shenanigans could also make doctors ask those kind of questions. In that case it might be more of a grounding thing? Like asking if you know what's going on right now, to make sure you aren't having a psychotic episode.

Is it possible the psychosis stuff could be contributing to the "doesn't feel like time is passing correctly" feeling? Because that seems like it could also be caused by dissociation or unreality problems.

If the timing of the problems getting worse corresponds to when you started the new meds, that might be part of it? Messing with your brain chemicals can cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen. It seems plausible that new meds could be making your executive function work a bit differently than before, which could make it harder for you to keep track of time.

Overall, though, it sounds like something that's worth asking your doctor about, especially if you think the meds might be contributing.

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Could be, i hadnt considered it as a possible dissociation thing. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it matches up with my other dissociative feels. The psychosis stuff is pretty well under wraps and im on the Good Stuff (TM) so its more like things happen but a lot less and i always know theyre not real

Not sure if it matches up with new meds because what is time, how do memory? But i wouldnt say its improbable to be meds related.

I'll write it down to ask about next time i see her

7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

In my experience, new meds can totally fuck with your sense of how time is passing.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice