Mail art

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by LilacMercenary, Jan 12, 2016.

1. LilacMercenary

LilacMercenary Well-Known Member

I've always kind of loved mail art, but lately I've been going a little nuts watching youtube videos and looking at pinterest boards of all the weird, fun stuff people make.

Does anyone want to be my mail art buddy? I was thinking just postcards, which are $0.35 to mail, and it's probably not going to be amazing fine art but at least for me there's something about getting stuff in the post office box that makes it a million times cooler for me.

Gotta be honest, I would love to get something back, but even if you don't really wanna send anything, or just want to do it sporadically, are there people I can like send my weird doodle-collage-sewing fusions and simple doodle doo-dads at in conveniently small proportions?
    Idunno, I'm really into this right now. It's freeing art wise in a way that just making the same stuff *as art* isn't always

• Like x 2
  2. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

I would be super into this! I've done that kind of art exchange a few times and it's always a lot of fun.

3. Inksalt

Inksalt the prettiest yautja

oooh i would totally participate in something like this! both receiving and sending stuff to people who'd be interested (u just gotta buy an extra stamp or so to get it to Australia haha)

• Like x 1
  4. LilacMercenary

@theprettiestboy, @Inksalt: have either of you moved since we exchanged addresses? I've got a couple somethings ready to mail :3

5. theprettiestboy

I have not! I was actually just thinking about this thread the other day :3

• Like x 1
  6. LilacMercenary

7. theprettiestboy

Oh my gosh? That sounds so cool!

8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

This sounds interesting, does anyone have pictures of mail art to share? I've legitimately never heard of it before.

• Like x 1
  9. theprettiestboy

It's small scale artworks that can be mailed like a post card. They're often some form of collage, but they can be painted or sewn or whatever you like
    This project has some neat photos

• Like x 3
  10. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

that looks really fun.

• Like x 1
  11. LilacMercenary

@QuotableRaven I can't find the YouTube video where I saw this, but another mail art concept I really like is making fun to open envelopes/cards. Things like little pockets for paper punch confetti or tea bags make me ridiculously delighted.

• Like x 2
  12. theprettiestboy

Oh my gosh? I'll post some pictures when I'm less overwhelmed but I am delight

13. LilacMercenary

I'm so glad it got there safely! I was going back and forth about just sticking it in a bubble mailer in the end =)

• Like x 1
  14. theprettiestboy

Ok, so my terrible tablet camera doesn't even come close to doing this justice, but here are some pictures of this awesomeness

The outer package!

IMG_20161024_182815~2.jpg

I managed to get most of the tape/labels off the front without damaging it too bad, I swear I didn't breath the whole time I was unwrapping it

IMG_20161024_182823~2.jpg

Also the back has lace on it, and the bottom is fabric, and it's sewn together and basically super cool

IMG_20161024_183037~2.jpg

And the insides! There's so much awesomeness here I'm not sure where to start. There's a great poem on cool paper with a teabag (which looks delicious btw) sewn to it with gold thread. I think those beads are hand made? I love them. I love all of this.

So basically this was the best thing I could have come home to after a crappy work day. Thank you <3

• Like x 2
  15. LilacMercenary

Aaaah, I'm so glad you liked it! Yup, handmade beads, the button is blue sculpy clay with a lace imprint, and the brown bead is part of a pendant(ish? Thing?) project from a bottle I tried to break "artistically" haha. I was trying to fit things to the style of your gorgeous mini books ^^
    I didn't know if you were into jewelry or not, but the bracelet was a last minute impulse.

Yay! I wish I'd been able to get it sent out faster, I'm seriously thrilled I seemed to have picked stuff right <3

• Like x 1
  16. theprettiestboy

• Like x 1
  17. LilacMercenary

Yus! I'm so glad, thank you for liking my weird art things! @theprettiestboy :D

18. LilacMercenary

Pssst did you find your stickers

19. theprettiestboy

I found the stickers and I LOVE THEM
    It's honestly so exciting every time I get something, it makes my day

20. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

issss this still a thing because this is 100000% my jam, reminds me of artist trading cards

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice