Managing my money (Argentina)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by evilas, Jan 19, 2017.

1. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

A few months ago I got my first bank account. I don't work but I have quite a bit of money stored from different places.
    I have 3 ways of paying for stuff. I have cash, my debit card... and I have my a credit card under my name that's connected to my dad's bank account.
    If I think my dad would find it reasonable, I use my dad's credit card. Otherwise, I use cash, which my dad gives me every few days so I have money to spend. For stuff that maybe my dad wouldn't be so happy with me buying (a game I don't need, for instance) I use my debit card, which my dad doesn't have access to.

This system works, and it works well for now, but the problem is that I live in Argentina, and the Argentine peso is... not the most stable currency. We've had an inflation rate of 30% and it's gonna take at least 3 years to stabilize to "normal" levels. So I like to save up money in dollars. The problem being, of course, that saving up money in dollars in Argentina is not easy. What ends up happening is my mom or dad just keep a thing that basically says "Eric has X dollars saved up" and update it when I ask them for my money.

I want to keep my money on my own but this is not easy. For one, I don't have a savings account in dollars. It costs money (12 USD/month) to open up a savings account in dollars in my bank (I'm currently using this bank because they have a deal with ISIC so I have a Student ID card for free), and I don't want to go to 2 different banks, so that really sucks.

Do you guys have any generic advice?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice