Manga Club

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by TheMockingCrows, Jun 21, 2021.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Want somewhere to jabber about manga you're reading or have read in the past but there's no existing thread and you don't want to make a thread specifically for the series? This is the place for you. Consider this your little club room space to chitchat about different manga series as it suits you, spread the gospel of your favorite series, and discover titles new and old. Want to discuss the MAKING of manga? By all means, that is also welcome.

Rules/Requests:

• If it's a common trigger, go ahead and spoiler the topic/images with a warning please.
    • When in doubt, it's always safer to just spoiler.
    • Raunchy things are as 100% allowed as gore and violence, just make it safe for others to get around if they need to and we're gold.
    • Mind spoilers.
    • Have fun.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Winner x 1
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I really need to get back into reading manga, I used to be obsessed. Was a big fan of the Big Three growing up, and read a shitton of shonen stuff, Especially isekai and isekai-adjacent. I absolutely Devoured yu yu hakusho when I was introduced to it, and fell hard for the different queer related manga growing up as a teen.

• Like x 1
  3. TheMockingCrows

So I'm re-reading the Chobits series since it's been quite a while and. God this series is kind of fucked up, I love CLAMP so much.
    Everything is cute and sweet in meetcute romance land, just with a lot of random shit thrown in. like. Where the main switch is on Chi.
    And Chi's abilities.
    And her entire history detail.
    And the fact the fucking military hasn't knocked down the dude's damn door yet.
    I love it though, very good read, just.
    Be prepared for some kind of strange choices they made, especially if you're more on the normie side of things.
    No different from anything else CLAMP has made though, honestly, it's very on brand for them.

• Agree x 1
  4. TheMockingCrows

God what else...
    I need to re-read Negima and then actually finish it. Same with Bakuman. I was collecting and reading, but then the stores I used stopped stocking it and I stopped collecting and reading, and never picked it back up. I remember enjoying them a lot...? But I'm told Negima goes off the fucking rails and I'm interested to see HOW it does that.

I also should do what my friends doing with the upcoming anime season and look for the manga sources to speedrun some things, but no guarantee if I'll do it or not. :/c My attention span is shit but I know if I actually START a series I'll finish it in one gulp regardless. It's just a matter of starting.

5. TheMockingCrows

The manga version of Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san is absolutely hilarious. The anime actually did a really good version adapting it, and giving it its own flavor instead of just following the frames directly imo. It also extends for another book beyond where the anime left off, since the author was apparently pressured into keeping the series going Despite not having their bookseller job and thus no new material for a while longer. It gives an interesting insight into ebook sales, for instance.

But there's just this certain grit to the comics that I really really appreciated.

It's also interesting to realize that they changed genders on several characters. Seal-san and Honda-san are both female in the manga, for instance, but were male in the anime.

6. TheMockingCrows

before i forget about it: Imperfect Girl/Shoujo Fujuubun

A few big ole CW's on this one, but I can't go into detail about them so just. Approach with caution. Dead dove appears a few times in there, but it left a hell of an impression on me.

Synopsis
    Biking home after another day at college, the protagonist witnesses a terrible accident: a young girl crossing the street is hit and killed by a truck. However, to his horror and amazement, the girl's friend calmly puts away the game she had been playing before rushing to the lifeless body of her companion. He leaves the scene thoroughly shaken, having no idea about the true significance of this event and what this strange girl has in store for her unsuspecting witness.

An adaptation of the light novel by ISIN NISIO, Shoujo Fujuubun is a psychological thriller that follows an aspiring author through his extraordinary experience with a girl he nicknames "U.U." More than just a thriller, it also deals with themes such as the human struggle to find purpose and the social utility of art.

7. TheMockingCrows

i finally got my bookshelves in order, its been 84 years....
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Rereading dungeon meshi, its so refreshing and nostalgic -v-

• Agree x 1
  9. TheMockingCrows

I've heard the name but never read it before. :o what's it about?

• Like x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Basically a dungeon party that goes around cooking and eating the various dungeon monsters. Very straight man funny man type of humor, and a commonly unexplored genre

The plot is supposed to be serious, when it starts it's with one of the MCs' sister being eaten by a dragon on a lower floor so they're trying to get back down to save her but devolves into food stuff pretty quick

• Informative x 1
  11. TheMockingCrows

im grounded today for health reasons. time to read manga. i started to re-read Genshiken again, but also I'm waiting for a delivery of some manga. wotakoi is included in that list, so im stoked.

12. TheMockingCrows

i wanna read Chainsaw Man but man. just looking at it from a distance i have the feeling it's gonna hurt me real bad for some reason, and i can't quite put my finger on it.

13. TheMockingCrows

oh it hurt me, that's for sure.
    but also, what the actual fuck did i just read :U
    i read it in two days all the way through and like
    bruh
    b r u h

• Agree x 1
  14. TheMockingCrows

my big manga order came in so i need to start re-reading Fushigi Yuugi to understand the last half of the series i picked up.
    i also wanna read Clover since it's here now, in a very nice hard cover edition no less. i'm going in absolutely blind, and have been told its very good by several people, so whee.

• Like x 1
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

One of my favorite dungeon meshi scenes came up again and I wanted to share. I'd give context but it'd make even less sense lol:

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Y'know, when I actually think about how serious dungeon meshi is in recent chapters (still with dungeon food a big focus) it really hits me hard how much of the manga consists of "don't think about it" in the sense of both the food itself and the general stressors of their quest.
    There are so many heartfelt moments and emotional hurts (in the sense that the whole main cast is emotionally constipated until it all comes out as said heartfelt moments), and it's really relatable to me as a person too

Also Laius is super autistic with a special interest in dungeons and I won't hear any different. Double also marcille is so gay for faylin and I love it

• Like x 1
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh! I also started chainsaw man and it pains me but I love it

• Agree x 1
  18. TheMockingCrows

There is a ButchxButch yuri anthology being put together by a lot of artists. Current goal of making it accessible to english speakers is reached, but apparently if they reach 10k they'll make physical copies.
    Here's the link to the kickstarter

• Winner x 1
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

!!! *Excited hollering*

20. TheMockingCrows

so i don't follow Fire Force OR Soul Eater, but Oh Boi good luck ya'll lmfao.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice