Marvel Civil War

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by MagicalBoy, May 4, 2016.

1. .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like x 7
  2. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

... u gais I just got trolled so hard. Mostly by my own pessimism in response to People Implying Things. (dude I don't even know if they did it on purpose.)

Will metaborf when I have had some time to digest. And maybe seen it again? Iunno.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    • Like x 2
  3. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I came to this thread because I was like ah yes good there is a thread for this i am ready to dump my ship feels but then actual talking about sides is apparently happening.
    -sighs-

I actually... I pretty much refuse to choose a side. I'm sorta sad that they made a villain in the plot to make the Cap essentially clearly right in one way, which sorta pushed aside the issue of the signing over power thing.

That said, having a UN committee making decisions seems... sorta way too slow for a team that on some level functions at emergency response. I do think that the regulation could work on some levels.. clearly there's people that the avengers trust who aren't on the team itself, and if they worked together with officials to decide who was on the council regulating them, then.. I don't see much problem with it. People have agendas, Cap, but you're a people.

• Like x 5
  4. Glassware

Glassware Well-Known Member

The registration act in the comics was...really weird. Every author seemed to have a different idea of what it entailed, like if it was a draft or you just had to have your name down or if you didn't have your name down whether you'd end up in super-Guantanamo in the Depression Dimension.

• Like x 3
  5. theambernerd

Most disputes die and no one shoots!

uh. The movie one was basically.. the UN would make a committee that decides when and where the avengers go to do good things. The guys who didn't sign were considered retired, essentially. They weren't allowed to go doing vigilante justice, if they did, they'd be arrested.

• Like x 4
  6. theambernerd

....ok the ten duel commandments song works way to well for civil war, now i have to draw this, and i do not have the time to draw this

• Like x 6
  7. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

goddamn it did i miss free comic book day AGAIN

• Like x 1
  8. theambernerd

I tried reading one of the civil war comics once and it bored me xD I've barely read any marvel comics, and i've decided I really don't care to try to get into it again- i like the cinematic universe for what it is and i'm sticking with that-- people who know the comics better seem to get more annoyed with the movies for deviating, and I sorta like now necessarily knowing what's different. Experience is half expectation, having no expectations is nice uwu

but yeah! As far as I caught in first watch that's all it was, just an order to Stop Doing This Completely Uncontrolled Plz, Here's A Committee.
    And Cap's like NO.
    and it looked sorta alright until great googly moogly it's all gone to shit events happened

• Like x 1
  9. Glassware

I'm just sort of covering my eyes and whimpering until Civil War II passes. Bendissssssssss!

I really want to root for Carol but I don't trust Bendis to make it actually ambiguous morally since it's Tony Stark on the other side and he's writing for Tony at the moment.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  10. Glassware

Yeah, it's pretty blatant that Carol going full Minority Report is going to end, uh, badly. I'm just hoping that this doesn't poison her like the original Civil War poisoned Tony. Like every appearance he had for years after that was him being evil and/or being beaten up for being evil.

11. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

I'm Team Cap BUT I think it would have been reasonable for individual countries to choose what level of Avenger-intervention they want - like "you can drop by and start blowing things up whenever" or "you have to ask first and you have to work with our people" or "you are a group of foreign vigilantes, you are not allowed in here". I don't know how anyone would have taken to an idea like that, though, especially when they're often dealing with world-ending threat-level problems.

I don't actually understand how they got from "too many civilian casualties" to "so now you have a boss and it's the U.N." Did anyone ever explain how that was supposed to help? Were they planning on only deploying the Avengers if the bad guys were setting up somewhere deserted or that had been evacuated? Or was the whole thing just a thinly-veiled excuse to get the Avengers under someone's thumb?

I do like that they addressed the issue of collateral damage, though. Would have liked to see more discussion of how they could make it less likely for civilians to get caught in the crossfire.

Also, the fighting was beautiful. Somebody needs to give the choreographers an award or ten.

• Like x 6
  12. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i still havent seen it but by SO mentioned this to me - apparently in the mcu the maximoffs are christian? apparently there was a cross on her wall? can anyone confirm?

(i mean, having her be jewish may not be much better, considering that in aou....she was working.......for a nazi organization.........but im just. so mad.)

• Like x 1
  13. theambernerd

Steve needs to stop having so many boyfriends. Your ot3 idea is amazing and this movie also resparked my interest in steve/tony and i'm just like. augh. and cap was like, the character I had the least attachment to, stop having so many ships.

14. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

I've seen Captain America: Civil War twice now.

I... kind of feel that this movie had too much Tony Stark. It was a good Avengers movie, but only a decent Captain America movie. To be a good Captain America movie it should've contained at least 30 more minutes of either CATWS main characters doing stuff together or emotionally devastated Steve (more devastated than he was, that is. I am a simple person with simple needs and like utterly broken-hearted Steve, ok?). As it was, Tony stole the spotlight a bit too much for my liking.

I think I have more thoughts about the movie, but they wouldn't make much sense at the moment, I should get sleep first.

• Like x 4
  15. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I still ship Steve with everyone but Tony. (nothing personal, it just doesn't click for me.)
    Including the new villain. Godsdamnit.

• Like x 1
  16. shame cube

shame cube Active Member

ouo

this is what the refrance was when I mentioned the creepy eye comment in the trash ship thread, btw

• Like x 4
  17. theambernerd

As I said, Cap himself, though I like him, is the character I have the least attachment to of the original avengers 1 crew, so I didn't mind so much that he wasn't the spotlight. I frequently forget that it wasn't an avengers movie and like, that's chill with me.

And yes, that creepy eye comment was golden <3

• Like x 2
  18. emythos

I FIGURED :D
    I saw that comment before I watched the movie, and was waiting for creepiness the whole time.
    Sadly, I have seen no fic yet.

19. shame cube

shame cube Active Member

HE'S GOT THE KEYS TO MIND-CONTROLLING BUCKY DONT TELL ME THAT DOESNT LEAD DOWN SOME EXCITINGLY FUCKED-UP ROADS

• Like x 3
  20. emythos

LOTS OF WONDERFULLY FUCKED UP ROADS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice