Med thing, assimilated behaviour, or me thing? (Stimming behaviours)

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by BlackholeKG, Dec 25, 2016.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Hey (sorry for brief post aha)

So, something I've noticed in the past few months is that I've been finding good stuff from doing what I guess are like, stimming type behaviours? I'm unsure of why this is, as I historically they've not really been much of a me thing. I'm not autistic/adhd as far as I know and also as far as I know don't really have any sort of neurotype or brainweird that generally directly results in that type of thing. At first I was sort of at least partially voluntarily doing them, because I was seeing people here (who generally are autistic) talk about stimming and such a lot, but more recently I've started to notice myself doing them sort of more automatically? Like for instance earlier today I for a brief moment waved my hand about whilst talking to my dad (this is not something I would generally do because it would be perceived as odd from his perspective), and I nowadays very often sorta clap my knees together, especially if I'm feeling stressed or depressed. It's by no means a thing I'm doing all the time but definitely sometimes when I'm alone and such and/or am dealing with brain shit?

Another thing is that the time period of when I have been... enjoying this? Just, doing this? Roughly corresponds with how long I've been taking my meds, but that could just be coincidental.

So yeah, my question is, is there a reason for this? Is it that I've suddenly developed a taste for stimming, and if so, why? Could it be due to my meds? Could it rather be that I would always have found it useful, but it was only exposure to discussion of it that caused me to "discover" it? Does the fact that it is a thing that has some effect on me indicate some sort of brainweird in addition to my known brainweirds, or in extension to them, or would it just always be helpful to people with depression, or just neurotypical people even, and they don't do it because it's not culturally or socially a thing that is learned? And I've just "learned" it? Or, alternatively, have I just developed a urge/desire/satisfaction to stim partially for unrelated reasons caused by a change in something brainwise?

So yeah just wondering what y'all reckon is what the thing, I guess. Aha.

I also like "stim videos" but then I've always been into that sort of sensory video type stuff, like hypnosis and asmr before I discovered there are "stim blogs" and the like, again through Kintsugijin and generally autistic tumblr folks I follow.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  2. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I don't know about the meds - I did like 3 seconds of internet research but it gave me a bunch of "my child is stimming woe is me i need drugs for them", sooooo

my big theory personally, because I've noticed some similar behavior in myself, is that you may be developing useful coping mechanisms for brain things because you are in an environment/brainspace where that's culturally appropriate

I know I saw something on ASAN titled "am i becoming more autistic??" let me find that real quick

though, of course, if the stimming worries you and/or if you do think it's tied to meds, possibly ask an actual doctor? Sometimes meds do do weird brain things

LATER:

ok i couldn't find the article but i found kind of general consensus of opinions on here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comments/3w6dze/why_do_i_feel_like_im_getting_more_autistic/

which seems pertinent/useful

teal deer: Even if it isn't the 'tisms, stimming and self-soothing behavior is helpful & if you are in an environment/culture where it's less "this is a thing that is WRONG with you", you are more likely to do self-care like that.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice