miniatures painting!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by littlepinkbeast, Nov 2, 2015.

1. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

Just finished painting and basing my entire collection of Circle Orboros minis from Hordes, figured I'd put some pics here. Just ipod photos for now, hoping to get better ones when I can borrow an actual camera.
    IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG
    Anyone else paint minis?

• Like x 4
  2. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I do, but I haven't really done a lot of it since I was in high school, ugh. It's all Warhammer stuff, and I've been planning on repainting all of my Tyranids but the motivation to set up my desk for painting minis has been really low. I've also been trying to research the best/easiest method to remove paint from minis, but run into a bit of a brick wall. Dettol is easy to find but can be both tricky and disgusting to use, but I've heard a lot of good things about Fairy power spray, but it's not available in Australia. I think Dawn is equivalent to Fairy brand wise, but haven't been able to find out for sure whether it's available here or not. Anyway, here's my most recent piece, which was done last year. It's a Necron Triarch Stalker, minus the gun which I still haven't done because I put it together wrong. Whoops. I should probably take some better photos of this thing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  3. littlepinkbeast

Yee, pretty!
    For stripping minis, if you used acrylic paints, soaking them for a day or two in rubbing alcohol (use a container with a lid so it doesn't evaporate) and then going over them with a soft toothbrush works wonders.

• Like x 1
  4. Hobo

Does that work for both plastics and metals? Also, can they be washed with water afterwards or does it also develop the weird sticky goop that dettol does? The goop is why I wanted to avoid dettol, haha. Too gross.

5. littlepinkbeast

Works fine on metal and polystyrene, I've not tried it on other kinds of plastics specifically but I believe they should mostly be fine; I've never had isopropyl alcohol melt its way out of a container or anything. It turns the paint itself into a sort of rubbery layer, and if there's like matte varnish or something over it that tends to turn goopy, but running it under water and brushing it lightly with a toothbrush* should make most of it come off in big soft sheets. and then you can use a firmer brushing or a toothpick or something to work the rubbery remnants out of hollows and crevices.

*use a spare toothbrush. or someone else's toothbrush, but only if you really dislike them.**
    **don't use someone else's toothbrush even if you dislike them a lot.

• Like x 4
  6. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I really need to get back to painting mine.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like x 3
  7. albedo

albedo metasperg

... wow. How the heck do you paint things that are so teeny? Teeny tiny paintbrushes?

I had a friend who did Warhammer back in high school, but Mom forbade me to play with them, so I never got to see much of it.

• Like x 1
  8. littlepinkbeast

@Morven : ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ WAAAAAAAAAAGH

@albedo : fairly small, yeah, but the 000 only comes out for like eyes and maybe the highlights on tiny gems. A lot of it is learning how to work with the consistency of paint and the three-dimensionality of the model to get the paint where you want it anyway, so a small brush doesn't help near as much as one might think. I tend to use a #4 or #6 flat for large areas and washes, and maybe a #1 or #2 round for most of the detail work.

• Like x 1
  9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

arrrrrgh miniatures

i have so many unpainted d&d/pathfinder minis just hoarding on one of my shelves.

see, i've tried painting a few so far, but. they are not results i am proud of. i've got like 20 years experience with painting on paper/canvas... but this whole 3 dimensions thing really throws me off. i haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

10. Hobo

Partially that, like lpb said! But there are also methods to paint relatively detailed minis with little effort, the keys to which are inks/washes and drybrushing. A layer of ink can get into all of the little nooks and crannies that brushes can't really reach well, and then using drybrushing (where the brush has paint on it but it's relatively dry) to go over the raised areas makes it really simple to get a lot of decent work done with little time investment. Excessive drybrushing can cause issues, but it's a really useful technique regardless.

[​IMG] As far as I can tell, this is a mini that has had both ink and drybrushing for highlights applied, and that's it. It makes a huge difference!

11. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

For really tiny detail I use the smaller brushes in the Army Painter range; artists' brushes just don't get small enough. I use reading glasses to enable closer focus so I can bring them really close and see the fine details, and multiple daylight-color lights. I have a magnifier as well but don't use that so much. I suspect the younger of you won't need the glasses or magnifiers, but eyes get worse at this with age.

What I like about the Orks is that their stuff is filthy and messy and bodged together and hastily repaired, giving me plenty of opportunity for weathering and effects. And nobody can nitpick it because Orks don't follow standards.

• Like x 2
  12. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

My husband backed the Reaper Bones kickstarter, so he now has a large pile of polymer minis that he's been working his way through. I helped with a couple - I painted an ugly bug, a zombie, and I tried a ratman/skaven but the piecemeal armor it had on was too confusing.

I also have a Heroforge mini of my default fantasy character, Meagen Sureshot, and I plan on painting it eventually.

• Like x 1
  13. littlepinkbeast

Finally got pictures of my minis that weren't taken on a potato: http://imgur.com/a/m9VY4 contains all my Circle Orboros stuff and a few shots of the Khador starter box. Samples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
  14. swirlingflight

oh dang, the patterns on the third one

• Like x 1
  15. swirlingflight

I'm reviving this thread... with a skeleton!!!

[​IMG]

the miniature-paining newb rises from the grave to bring you: The Great Papyrus, the tabletop miniature! (He took some liberties with how cool his armor looks.)

I'm still deciding whether I want to change the color of his loincloth to be lighter, or if I like the way it currently gives the impression of a spine, so dark against the metal.

eta also deciding if i want to go full red on the gloves and boots

eta2 and then the question of trying to make the shadowed textures.... I think I'll try that on a different one.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    • Like x 7
  16. swirlingflight

Pulled out the metallic paints that I hadn't tried before, and did touch-up stuff on Papyrus the skeletal champion, as well as doing up a unicorn I found a ways back!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So I did his armor itself in pearl, the accents in gold, and I mixed a new blend of the blue, a touch of yellow, and the pearl to make the bone shimmery. Lightened the loincloth, darkened his pants, touched up the darkness around his skull (and fixed up a little bit of his mouth)... then went ahead and filled in his gloves and boots properly red.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The theme for the unicorn is space: it's based off silver dapple horses, with a black/purple body and smatterings of the metallic 'pearl' paint to look like stars. The hooves, horn, and mane are all likewise in that pearl color, with tiny touches of the yellow, blue, and magenta.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like x 6
  17. albedo

albedo metasperg

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice